Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Reasons you started gravel biking?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Reasons you started gravel biking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-19, 08:03 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
I ride gravel because I ride road and there are some great roads out there that happen to be gravel.
This for me.
Old 07-12-19, 06:12 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I got into running around age 30, and in my 40s now, I still run regularly. I started doing long weekend runs with a few friends that liked to hit the gravel roads, and was basically hooked....beautiful scenery, lots of wildlife, fresh air, and most importantly perhaps...little to no traffic. When I started cycling again ~5 years ago, I figured out pretty quickly that the positives of gravel and negatives of high traffic pavement are magnified on a bike. If I lived somewhere with a good cycling culture (ie, favorable traffic laws, bike lanes and paths, respectful drivers) I’d probably ride more on pavement, but I still would miss the experience of riding gravel roads.
Old 07-12-19, 07:56 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
To connect my favorite mtb trails.
Old 07-13-19, 08:05 AM
itskohler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Honestly, I have no idea why I went this route instead of endurance road. I mountain bike frequently and I guess I wasn't ready to go full road. I love my gravel bike for what it is and what it's allowed me to do though. I still get to play in the dirt, and get more of a true workout!
Old 07-15-19, 08:32 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Too many road cyclists around here became road pizza by careless drivers that never faced any consequences. After a few close calls I said goodbye to road cycling. Hit the back county roads some paved and some gravel. Light traffic and I can hear a vehicle from a ways off so I know of it’s approach. I have seen a decline of cyclists on the roads over the last decade and an increase in gravel bikes. I miss road riding from town to town refueling with Gatorade or whatever at convenience stores. Not taking the risk today with people on cell phones weaving all over the road and the amount of drunk drivers on so on. Maybe it is different in the area you ride in but here there is hardly any cycling infrastructure.
I have access to many many miles of trails both double and single that connect many many miles of paved roads between that and my belly the loose fitting gravel life was calling my name.
i just need a better bike 🚲
Old 07-20-19, 06:52 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
I ride gravel because I ride road and there are some great roads out there that happen to be gravel.
Same here. Gravel opens up a whole new world of roads, many of which have better views and steeper climbs than the paved roads.

Plus, it's fun to ride with some of the MTB folks. Gravel is this happy place where the roadies and mountain bikers can all get along and play nice together.