Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Kamra Triathlee 'designed by Nishiki'

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Kamra Triathlee 'designed by Nishiki'

Old 01-19-18, 12:45 AM
MOrtega76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It’s a ”Triathlee” (no joke on the spelling) by “Kamra”, and the other decal says “designed by a Nishiki.” The internal cable routing seemed interesting to me too. The angles and size were perfect so I just had to pick it up. Haven’t been able to find out a whole more about beyond that.
Old 03-14-18, 12:41 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by MOrtega76
It’s a ”Triathlee” (no joke on the spelling) by “Kamra”, and the other decal says “designed by a Nishiki.” The internal cable routing seemed interesting to me too. The angles and size were perfect so I just had to pick it up. Haven’t been able to find out a whole more about beyond that.
I know this is a little old.

Do you have a serial number for this frame? I would like to know when the frame was made.

P.S. Welcome to the forum and thanks for your contribution.
Old 03-16-18, 11:53 PM
MOrtega76

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hummer
I know this is a little old.

Do you have a serial number for this frame? I would like to know when the frame was made.

P.S. Welcome to the forum and thanks for your contribution.

Sorry for the delay in responding, the serial number for the Kamra Triathlee Frame is: GE 08268

Hopes this helps. I built it up, one hell of a smooth fun ride.
Old 03-17-18, 08:57 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
I missed this thread the 1st time around. As most members know, the original manufacturer of Nishiki was Kawamura but the Nishiki brand was owned by West Coast Cycle & Supply of California. Since Kawamura could not sell bicycles under the Nishiki brand name in the USA, they created Kamra.

Similarly the Triathlete and Triathlon model names were owned by others, so companies were seeking variations that consumers would associate with triathlons. West Coast Cycle & Supply chose Tri-A. Kawamura obviously chose Triathlee.

Based on the internal cable routing, it appears to be a variation on the 1985 Nishiki Tri-A. The serial number format is Kawamura and the E code does indicate 1985 manufacture, though the G prefix is a new (to me). I suspect this was done to differentiate it from West Coast Cycle & Supply product, in the event of warranty liability.

Last edited by T-Mar; 03-17-18 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-17-18, 11:26 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
I built it up, one hell of a smooth fun ride.
Thanks for keeping this bike on the forum. Any pics of the finished build, perchance?

Old 03-17-18, 04:20 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 130 Posts
Sorry for the delay in responding, the serial number for the Kamra Triathlee Frame is: GE 08268

Hopes this helps. I built it up, one hell of a smooth fun ride.
Thanks for posting the serial number.

As has been previously stated the frame was manufactured by Kawamura of Kobe Japan. The format of the frame serial number is Kawamura from the late 1970s and 1980s.

The first letter is usually for the country/geographic region the bicycle was marketed in. "G" is for an Asian market. I have seen several Kawamura frames with a "G" serial number and most have their retail origin somewhere in Asia.

As mentioned earlier, the second letter "E" is for the year of frame manufacture, 1985.

I have seen several bicycles with the KAMRA brand name. Many of them originated in Asia.

Your bicycle most closly resembles the 1986 Repco Nishiki Tri-A for the Australian market.
Tange900 double butted, internal cable routing, scalloped seat stay caps.
Old 07-22-19, 09:44 AM
JFarmer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kamra Triathlee

You know, I was scratching my head about the whole "Triathlee" thing too. I guess it just adds to the mystery.

Here's some pics I took before I take my wrenches to it. At a glance, all the lines look straight and besides an occasional rust spot it looks fine. I'm gonna clean it up, and look it over as best as I can, and if it looks good, I may build it up as my ride for the STP this year.

I like a bike with a history, and from the looks of it, this exact bike was here before, so I was looking to find out more about it (past lives, achievements, wrecks, and prior builds).
I have this exact bike! Purchased 1989 Okinawa, Japan while in the Marine Corps. I remember paying what I thought was a ridiculous price at that time about $450🤔

I’ve ridden the bike off and on over the years and it has always been a solid bike.

Jason
Old 07-22-19, 09:54 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by JFarmer
I have this exact bike! Purchased 1989 Okinawa, Japan while in the Marine Corps. I remember paying what I thought was a ridiculous price at that time about $450🤔

I’ve ridden the bike off and on over the years and it has always been a solid bike.

Jason
Old thread but pics will keep it going. Post some.
Old 12-14-19, 07:00 AM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
Spotted this Kamra Triathlee the other day.

Last edited by OutnBack; 12-14-19 at 07:06 AM.
Likes For OutnBack: