Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hand signals?

Old 07-22-19, 04:52 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonD67
I was behind a guy on a group ride once. We approached a right turn and he held up his left hand and and raised his fist to the sky. I was quite perplexed until I realized he was giving the (correct) hand signal for a right turn while driving a car. Never seen a cyclist do that, though. I think he was new.
The funny thing is when some old guy in a beater car raises his hand like that out the window. It always takes a while to realize that he's signaling. There's usually a cigarette in his hand, too.

I've always just pointed with the arm on that side to which I'm turning. I don't think 98% of drivers or other cyclists have any idea that a raised left arm means a right turn.
Hell, 99% don't know what a blinking signal means.

Originally Posted by autonomy
I'm probably half the average age here and I use my left arm to signal. Don't care if no one recognizes it, that's the way I learned and that's the right signal. But the biggest reason I do it is that, anecdotally, it appears to confuse the hell out of drivers - they see me signaling an action but they don't know which one - so they slow down.
There is much to be said for this.

I like to use them in traffic - as in, I'm taking this lane now. Usually accompanied by a head turn (no mirrors), and maybe even eye-contact if I can swing it.

I use my left-hand to signal right turns because I don't want to have to brake suddenly just using the front brake.

Maybe it's just my quixotic quest to instill good driving behavior in drivers of all stripes (bikes included). If I can use my signals on a bike, why can't you literally lift a pinky to do so in your car, rather than just blindly blunder across the road? Thankfully, I have enough street smarts that I usually know someone is going to turn before they do, but, still. Just a little courtesy, ya know?

Last edited by Chinghis; 07-22-19 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Clean-up
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 07-22-19, 05:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
I was behind a guy on a group ride once. We approached a right turn and he held up his left hand and and raised his fist to the sky. I was quite perplexed until I realized he was giving the (correct) hand signal for a right turn while driving a car. Never seen a cyclist do that, though. I think he was new.
I see roadies doing that on low-handlebarred road bikes. With their backs close to horizontal, only the birds have any clue what they are indicating. The right arm straight point is so much clearer that it baffles me why anyone would be taught otherwise (though I was taught I could use either 50 something years ago).
Old 07-22-19, 06:59 PM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What do you think motorists predict you will do when you use hand signals, instead of your motorcycle's standard electric turn signals, especially right turn "signals" giver with the left arm, doubly especially for hand signals at night?
I always use both the motorcycle LED electric turn signals and hand signals. At night I have my Glo Glov covers over my leather gloves. If you knew hand turn signals here you would know a correct right hand turn signal is left arm out with the left forearm and hand up at a 90 degree angle.
Old 07-22-19, 08:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
The funny thing is when some old guy in a beater car raises his hand like that out the window. It always takes a while to realize that he's signaling. There's usually a cigarette in his hand, too.

Hell, 99% don't know what a blinking signal means.

There is much to be said for this.

I like to use them in traffic - as in, I'm taking this lane now. Usually accompanied by a head turn (no mirrors), and maybe even eye-contact if I can swing it.

I use my left-hand to signal right turns because I don't want to have to brake suddenly just using the front brake.

Maybe it's just my quixotic quest to instill good driving behavior in drivers of all stripes (bikes included). If I can use my signals on a bike, why can't you literally lift a pinky to do so in your car, rather than just blindly blunder across the road? Thankfully, I have enough street smarts that I usually know someone is going to turn before they do, but, still. Just a little courtesy, ya know?
Heck,
I'll occasionally use a right turn hand signal while driving.

Today I came out of a driveway wanting to turn right.

Flagger stopping traffic to my left.

I signaled with lights and hand to communicate with him

He raised a stop hand signal towards me. After a minute he waved me on
Old 07-22-19, 08:27 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
Not just acceptable, but in some U.S. states a legal alternative written into the motor vehicle code.
My wife, 15 years junior and French, and I argued over proper hand signals. Research provided what you said. Also agreeing with posts about lack of driver training/knowledge, I changed to pointing with the arm in tbe turning direction. Two weeks ago, a young driver actually asked me what the hell that meant....

The DMV just hands out licences like they were skittles....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 07-22-19, 08:41 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I've always just pointed with the arm on that side to which I'm turning. I don't think 98% of drivers or other cyclists have any idea that a raised left arm means a right turn.
I use the hand signals for stopping and left turns. Also point for right turns, since it is more intuitive. I do it when I go to an intersection with a car on it.
Old 07-22-19, 09:09 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I see roadies doing that on low-handlebarred road bikes. With their backs close to horizontal, only the birds have any clue what they are indicating. The right arm straight point is so much clearer that it baffles me why anyone would be taught otherwise (though I was taught I could use either 50 something years ago).
See https://www.bikeforums.net/21037546-post27.html for the reason. Other posters have mentioned their quixotic quest to "teach" motorists about hand signals that were last in vogue and maybe understood by the general public over 60 years ago.

Something about bicycling seems to bring out the latent OCD tendencies of some enthusiasts.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-22-19, 09:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by jade408
I use the hand signals for stopping and left turns. Also point for right turns, since it is more intuitive. I do it when I go to an intersection with a car on it.
Do you think many motorists have a clue what you are signaling with the stopping hand signal?
Old 07-22-19, 09:37 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Do you think many motorists have a clue what you are signaling with the stopping hand signal?
No, not at all. But hopefully they think it is weird enough to slow down.
Old 07-23-19, 05:50 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I agree with the posters who believe that cryptic hand gestures are likely to "signal" bicyclist weirdness to motorists and can fulfill the bicyclist's intention to cause confusion.
Old 07-23-19, 06:38 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman

The DMV just hands out licences like they were skittles....
Indeed. As long as you can parallel park and drive through a small neighborhood at up to 30mph without breaking any laws, the state of Texas will hand you a drivers license. No advanced skills tested for or necessary.
Old 07-23-19, 07:35 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Indeed. As long as you can parallel park and drive through a small neighborhood at up to 30mph without breaking any laws, the state of Texas will hand you a drivers license. No advanced skills tested for or necessary.
Believe it or not, Maryland dropped the requirement to parallel park on the driving test a few years back. Too many people were failing and it was causing a backlog of re-testing. No joke.
Old 07-23-19, 08:57 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Believe it or not, Maryland dropped the requirement to parallel park on the driving test a few years back. Too many people were failing and it was causing a backlog of re-testing. No joke.
Lolol.

Here, the parallel parking test is the very first thing a license applicant has to perform. Fail that and the test ends within 5 minutes.
Old 07-23-19, 11:42 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bicyclists complaining on public forums about insufficient licensing requirements for motorists and suggesting that motorist licensing be made tougher or more restrictive, may be opening up a can of worms in regards to their own freedom from licensing requirements.

Especially if the complaints/whining refers to motorists not recognizing obscure hand signals from bicyclists who take delight in confusing others with cryptic gestures.
Old 07-23-19, 11:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I'm afraid my favorite hand signal isn't at all cryptic, and is flipped as a reflex when I get honked at from behind. The manual doesn't tell me which hand to use for that one.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-23-19, 12:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
tapped her left top of her thigh then pointed downward.
Where I am from, tapping the thigh/butt is a sign to riders behind to slide over due to some above-ground obstruction. Often that obstruction is a (double) parked car, but it can be something like a runner proceeding in the same direction. Since we ride on the right side of the road, the tapping is of the right thigh, and it's not generally used to warn of things like potholes or glass. That's what the point is for.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-23-19, 02:50 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hand signals?
Bicyclists complaining on public forums about insufficient licensing requirements for motorists and suggesting that motorist licensing be made tougher or more restrictive, may be opening up a can of worms in regards to their own freedom from licensing requirements.

Especially if the complaints/whining refers to motorists not recognizing obscure hand signals from bicyclists who take delight in confusing others with cryptic gestures.
Regarding (left) hand signals to motorists, I have posted about the use of hand signals to direct motorists, rather than just to signal the cyclist's intentions.
Originally Posted by guythatbrews
"Best strategy to defend against cars passing blind?"

I am kinda frustrated with the whole cars passing blind deal. This is far and away the most dangerous thing I deal with. My commute is very winding with lots of rolling hills. Some of the hills are short and steep. I live on a residential lake so sight lines here are VERY short.…

Taking the lane doesn't seem to help at all. The dummies just pass farther to the left. Even to the point of using the left shoulder if they have to. I used to signal an (uninteded) left turn thinking that will stop them passing. They would still zoom past. Finally realized they thought I was signalling them "safe to pass"...

I realize some people are just gonna pass. Rationally I know I will not delay their commute long. But long ago I realized you can't rationalize with the irrational. And there is still a surprising number of folks here of the "get your bike off the road" mindset…
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Here's a question for everyone here. In a couple of other forums that I'm a member of (I'm able to Facebook from my phone) there is a member who seems to think that we as cyclists "have" to "acknowledge" motorists within the first 5-seconds that we realize that they're behind us.
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
although if we're on a road that is straight and has good sight lines, I'll wave a car by.

Or if we're on a road that has a curve and I can see that the motorist behind me is about to attempt a pass I'll put out the slow/stop signal to get them to stay behind me
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I have posted frequently about the drivers that pass me,either to curse or bless them (link) [with my left hand], depending on the pass, but mostly ignore them. I don’t particularly acknowledge drivers behind me either, but monitor them with my mirrors.

I recall posting that I don’t direct drivers to pass me, or hold up, but leave it up to them.
Old 07-24-19, 01:14 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
worms come out'a that can lol.
Likes For gios:
Old 07-24-19, 02:23 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I've always thought it is a bit unnecessary in traffic, since you can't perform it (or any other hand signal) under hard braking, and there's not much need for it when decelerating slowly.
Old 07-24-19, 05:35 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Where I am from, tapping the thigh/butt is a sign to riders behind to slide over due to some above-ground obstruction.
I assume this is your own butt you are tapping, correct?

Is the "Sssssssss", so-called "sizzling sound" and shaking of the hand due to imaginary heat emanating from the buttocks, also used by riders in your region, or is that considered to be excessively prideful and in questionable taste?
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 07-24-19, 09:39 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Raised left or horizontal right is sufficient, and legal. But that's a palm raised, not a fist. And if you're pointing to something that's a finger. So as not to be confused with palms down, which means you're stopping
Old 07-24-19, 09:59 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
tapped her left top of her thigh then pointed downward.
As others have said, either an obstacle or she was signaling to pull through.

However, if you try to tap her left thigh I imagine there will be a bunch more hand signals that come in to play.
Old 07-25-19, 07:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
in a car, the driver has access to only 1 window, that's why the hand signal for a left, is left arm sticking out & the signal for a right is the same arm bent at elbow pointing up

on a bike, you don't have to do that. to go left stick your left arm out, to go right stick your right arm out. when I see bikers doing the left arm right signal I chuckle to myself
Old 07-25-19, 09:22 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Lolol.

Here, the parallel parking test is the very first thing a license applicant has to perform. Fail that and the test ends within 5 minutes.
I don't believe parallel parking was on our test 35 years ago

I got quite proficient in parallel parking in college, fighting for undersized parking spots.

Pre Smart Car era, the Fiat 500 was great for parallel parking. There was one stretch of road, packed early, but I could 100% guarantee there would be a spot big enough to squeeze into. I would imagine other drivers groaned when they left a nice buffer in front of their car and found me in it.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-25-19, 09:25 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
in a car, the driver has access to only 1 window, that's why the hand signal for a left, is left arm sticking out & the signal for a right is the same arm bent at elbow pointing up

on a bike, you don't have to do that. to go left stick your left arm out, to go right stick your right arm out. when I see bikers doing the left arm right signal I chuckle to myself
Perhaps there are angles where using the left arm (traffic side) to signal is more visible.

The Oregon driver's manual specifically allows either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.