Search
Notices
Eastern Canada New Brunswick | Newfoundland and Labrador | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec

montreal or toronto?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 06:29 PM
RHoude

Bikes: Cannondale Adventure 400 + Gazelle Medeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And Montreal now has Bixis!!! https://www.bixi.com/home Bicycles RULE in Montreal!!!
Cycling Vacation the Bike & Boat Way
Old 08-07-09, 04:30 PM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm getting pretty close in booking my trip to montreal. Probably in late sept or early oct. A few last questions:

1. I will be staying in a hotel in the downtown area. How safe is that area? Can I bike/walk around in that area at nite? Are there a lot of homeless/bums?
Any ghetto areas that I should avoid? I don't to bike into the wrong area and than get mugged.

2. Do I need to change my us dollars to canadian dollars or they pretty much accept us dollars everywhere? How about for credit card?

3. I'm thinking of doing a bike tour from one of those bike store? Is it worth it or I can pick up one of the bike maps and do it myself?

4. Where can I get a montreal bike maps online?

Thx in advance.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 08-07-09 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-08-09, 06:12 PM
IronMac
Dead Men Assume...

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vincentnyc
I'm getting pretty close in booking my trip to montreal. Probably in late sept or early oct. A few last questions:

1. I will be staying in a hotel in the downtown area. How safe is that area? Can I bike/walk around in that area at nite? Are there a lot of homeless/bums?
Any ghetto areas that I should avoid? I don't to bike into the wrong area and than get mugged.

2. Do I need to change my us dollars to canadian dollars or they pretty much accept us dollars everywhere? How about for credit card?

3. I'm thinking of doing a bike tour from one of those bike store? Is it worth it or I can pick up one of the bike maps and do it myself?

4. Where can I get a montreal bike maps online?

Thx in advance.
1. Pretty safe. Yes you can walk/bike around the area at night. And no.
Ghetto areas where the colour of your skin can cost you your life? No, this is not NYC.
2. Best to change your dollars to our dollars.
3. Do it yourself. Mtl is not that big.

Go make a list of spots that you would like to see and then get a map to map it all out. There is no need to stick to "bike paths".
Old 08-08-09, 07:24 PM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IronMac
1. Pretty safe. Yes you can walk/bike around the area at night. And no.
Ghetto areas where the colour of your skin can cost you your life? No, this is not NYC.
2. Best to change your dollars to our dollars.
3. Do it yourself. Mtl is not that big.

Go make a list of spots that you would like to see and then get a map to map it all out. There is no need to stick to "bike paths".
when i'm talking about ghettos, i'm talking about projects aka public housing...are there any bad neighborhood in montreal?

also what time does most restaurants closed?

so what are some touristy spots that i should visit? what do you recommend. btw museums ain't my thing.
Old 08-10-09, 06:18 AM
Windrush

Bikes: Marinoni Ciclo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in Montreal a month ago with a group of 15 cyclists from for a week.
* We stayed at McGill University near base of Mount Royal and did walk around at night, never had a problem
* Always, always change to local currency when bicycle touring. While American dollars will be accepted you will lose on the exchange. All credit cards are accepted.
* Do your own touring.
1. Following bike paths entire way: port area, Lachine Bike route, over to Ile Notre Dame island,
Ile Sainte Helene, back to port area. About 50-80 km.
2. Take bicycle path from Ile Bizard Island to Oka, ferry across Ottawa River to Como,
and follow shores and back. 78 km. See Beaconville Bike Club website for great routes in English.
https://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/div...clable2004.pdf Montreal Bike Map

Montreal has a great cycling culture, you won't need to cycle on busy roads.
Old 08-10-09, 08:38 AM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thx windrush...i will be in montreal for 4 days...actually i get 2 full days to ride...first day i will arrive around 7 pm and my last day i have to leave early in the morning by 8 am.

so with 2 full days to ride..what do u recommend riding/visit first? is 2 full days even enough?

Last edited by vincentnyc; 08-10-09 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-10-09, 04:11 PM
redg35

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, Miele Clasic, Nishiki bushwacker, Old tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a nice day route from old montreal:

OLD Montreal -> Lachine Canal bike path (All the way to end in Lachine) -> Lakeshore boulevard (Bord-Du-Lac) -> Beaconsfield Blvd -> Lakeshore boulevard (Brod-Du-Lac) -> Rue Saine-Anne -> Chemin Senneville -> Boul Gouin O

This route will take you from old Montreal along the Lachine Canal then completely around the western tip of the island. All of the route is paved bike path or very nice roads to ride on. There are lots of nice spots along the way to stop. Haven't measured but I would guess this is about 80KM no significant hills.

I would recommend you then take the AMT train from the Roxboro Pierrefond station back downtown. They allow you to walk right on with your bikes and yo can take it to central station in downtown.

If you wanted to cut it short there are multiple train stations prior to passing saint anne de bellevue.

Here is the train map make sure you check the schedule because it is limited.

https://www.amt.qc.ca/tc/train/images...Train_2009.pdf

Have fun!
Old 08-10-09, 05:26 PM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redg35
This is a nice day route from old montreal:

OLD Montreal -> Lachine Canal bike path (All the way to end in Lachine) -> Lakeshore boulevard (Bord-Du-Lac) -> Beaconsfield Blvd -> Lakeshore boulevard (Brod-Du-Lac) -> Rue Saine-Anne -> Chemin Senneville -> Boul Gouin O

This route will take you from old Montreal along the Lachine Canal then completely around the western tip of the island. All of the route is paved bike path or very nice roads to ride on. There are lots of nice spots along the way to stop. Haven't measured but I would guess this is about 80KM no significant hills.

I would recommend you then take the AMT train from the Roxboro Pierrefond station back downtown. They allow you to walk right on with your bikes and yo can take it to central station in downtown.

If you wanted to cut it short there are multiple train stations prior to passing saint anne de bellevue.

Here is the train map make sure you check the schedule because it is limited.

https://www.amt.qc.ca/tc/train/images...Train_2009.pdf

Have fun!
thx for those routes and train info!
Old 08-13-09, 08:44 PM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm from Toronto and even I say go to montreal to cycle. It's not that great in Toronto, we barely even have like painted bike lanes much less segregated bike lanes. I wish we had it as good as the Netherlands! We have that one waterfront trail and one that goes up down along the don valley parkway. As for painted side lanes there's probably only 50km of it in the city out of the few hundred KM's of car lanes we have! Some roads are pretty narrow they never really designed it for cyclists to feel safe which is why you'll see some cyclists uptown actually ride on the sidewalks even though the law doesn't like it but they feel like they'll get run over on rush hour.
Old 08-14-09, 01:39 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Plateau area of montreal between Parc Ave and St-Denis has great social life.
Old 09-14-09, 04:37 PM
joco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mabe a little stop in ottawa..a lot off bike lane here to.

I am in ottawa and love it here.

gatineau parc on the qc side in hull is just amazing.

joco
Old 09-14-09, 09:40 PM
coldfeet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jyossarian
And before someone screams about all the ethnically diverse food you can get in Toronto that you can't get in Montreal, remember the OP is coming from NYC which whoops ass when it comes to ethnic food. Plus Montreal has Schwartz' (Montreal smoked meat which is basically a smoked pastrami),
Ummm Schwartze's!

It's a nothing place, no booze, and the decor is strictly utilitarian, with the exception of all the celebrity's photos on the wall. ( Yes, they've all eaten there. ) But the steak platter! Sorry if you're vegetarian, but I have to go drool now.
Old 09-14-09, 10:25 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I just have to step in and speak up for the poor Toronto.

Originally Posted by greenpeppers
While Montreal is an island and you can not only see the river, but you can climb the mountain and view the city from a breathtaking viewpoint.
In Toronto you can climb the C.N. Tower for an even more breathtaking experience. And you can fly in via Porter airlines that would land on the Island Airport pretty much right downtown, and if you sit on the right side of the plane by the window, you'll get some awesome views on approach and descent. Speaking of which, we have a car-free Island, btw, which is pretty cool. And a big lake. Big lake is better than a river. And we have streetcars (and all T.O. cyclists get extra skillz points for masterfully dodging the treacherous tracks). We also have longest street in the world, almost tallest free-standing structure, shortest scheduled ferry route and the distinction of hosting the biggest Thriller dance in history. There!

Toronto is relatively flat too and Montreal is a lot more hilly, you'll definitely have fun navigating the streets. Watch out for Potholes!
Pff. Our potholes are way more impressive than your potholes! Yours may trip an occasional cyclists, but ours can swallow cars! And we have tornadoes! And our mountains of trash are taller than your Mt. Royal!
Old 09-15-09, 12:14 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Montreal vs Toronto.
Old 09-15-09, 01:14 AM
Flow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
I just have to step in and speak up for the poor Toronto.

In Toronto you can climb the C.N. Tower for an even more breathtaking experience.
Hardest bike climb ever.
Old 09-18-09, 09:44 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Flow
Hardest bike climb ever.
Hey, if it can be done on a pogo stick, or carrying a piano, it should be a piece of cake on a bicycle!
Old 10-19-09, 10:26 PM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey

i'm about to book my trip for my next week trip in montreal. if any1 wanna meet up and ride together, pm me and let's meet up. i'm a foodie. so i would like to enjoy some nice foods along the way during the bike ride. i will be arriving sunday nite and have 2 full days to ride around montreal. and then i will be leaving wed. morning. i'm pretty flexible and open to anything. so hit me up if u r intereted. thx.

i will return the favor if u ever come visiting nyc.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 10-19-09 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-20-09, 12:29 PM
redg35

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, Miele Clasic, Nishiki bushwacker, Old tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
would love to but am traveling.

Bring your cold weather gear has been quite cold here in the last 2 weeks. Went on a ride Sunday morning and despite thermal socks, booties and toe covers on top feet were still cold.
Old 10-29-09, 03:20 PM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just got back from my montreal trip. it was a great trip. it is a bike friendly city. lotsa bike lanes and most drivers are courtesious of bikers. i would say it is similar or even better than nyc in term of biking.

here are some of the areas i bike in montreal: lachine canal, jean-talon market, atwater market, downtown, old port, st. laurent blvd., st. denis, and mt. royal. i didnt get a chance to go to st. helene cuz i thought it was going to rain...heard it was nice. oh well, mabye next time.

also tried out some foods at schwartz, romados, and pho bang new york. all highly recommended foods. had a great times...would do it again if i get a chance.

love the architectures and houses, laid back vibe and family oriented environment. and oh yeah...the women...ou la la. may not be as attractive compare to nyc...but montreal women are friendly and quite approachable.

thx all for ur help.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 10-29-09 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-15-10, 11:03 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was in Montreal last May and didn't get a chance to get some riding in (even though I brought my bike). It rained almost the entire weekend I was there. I'm planning to make a second trip later this year..
Old 01-17-10, 10:20 AM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's why I always check the weather before I book my trip. #1 tip for all ur travelers.