Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Diverge 2018

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 12:39 PM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I kinda figured that might be the case. How much adjustment is available then?
Looks like those three spacers could go at least.

I mean kinda, but everything I bought was available to anyone..
Well sure, but then you could swap those parts onto a Diverge, too.

Retail to retail, the 2018 Diverge E5 Comp and 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1 are the same price, but the Diverge is 1.75lb lighter than Raleigh's listed spec for Tamland (which means the difference might actually be 2lb since manufacturers tend to be optimistic).
Old 07-18-17, 12:43 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard
Looks like those three spacers could go at least.

Well sure, but then you could swap those parts onto a Diverge, too.

Retail to retail, the 2018 Diverge E5 Comp and 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1 are the same price, but the Diverge is 1.75lb lighter than Raleigh's listed spec for Tamland (which means the difference might actually be 2lb since manufacturers tend to be optimistic).
Oh I see those spacers now, not sure how I missed them.

Sure, you could put all the parts on the Diverge that I bought, then it would be north of $2400 so... I guess I'm saying the retail of $1800 for the Diverge doesn't compare to the discount of the Tamland at $800 very well
Old 07-18-17, 01:07 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh I see those spacers now, not sure how I missed them.

Sure, you could put all the parts on the Diverge that I bought, then it would be north of $2400 so... I guess I'm saying the retail of $1800 for the Diverge doesn't compare to the discount of the Tamland at $800 very well
2017 Tamland 1 on Raleigh site with corporate discount is $1140, was there some big sale I missed? $800 would be a crazy deal.

I do think Raleigh has some of the best looking bikes around, their paintjobs are so classy. I love the look of the Tamland 2 the most, I think. Well actually the Clubman Carbon takes the cake.

Last edited by curttard; 07-18-17 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-18-17, 01:37 PM
shoota 

2017 Tamland 1 on Raleigh site with corporate discount is $1140, was there some big sale I missed? $800 would be a crazy deal.

I do think Raleigh has some of the best looking bikes around, their paintjobs are so classy. I love the look of the Tamland 2 the most, I think. Well actually the Clubman Carbon takes the cake.
Yep, I got mine for $799 shipped. I've seen it as low as $6xx.
Old 07-18-17, 02:22 PM
Rennvelo

Bikes: Specialiced Roubaix Comp 2017; Giant Anthem X1 2008 (MTB)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Shimano says the max cassette cog for the 105 mid cage RD is 32T, but many people are running those with 11-36 cassettes. Same for Ultegra. The Sequoia Elite comes standard with a 105 GS RD and 11-36 cassette. If in doubt or if you have any problems with that, the url is made to optimize that combination.

Shimano 11 speed road shifters do not play well with their MTB rear derailleurs. Wolf Tooth also makes the url to facilitate that combination.
Thanks for your response. Does the Comp E5 have a 105 mid cage RD?
Old 07-18-17, 05:16 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yep, I got mine for $799 shipped. I've seen it as low as $6xx.
I don't know if it's fair to say "Diverge is a bad value assuming you can find a deal on another bike for a total of 50% off retail between corporate discounts and a big sale", though....
Old 07-18-17, 05:52 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rennvelo
Thanks for your response. Does the Comp E5 have a 105 mid cage RD?
The specs online do not specify this, but based on the photos and the fact that the bike comes with an 11-32 cassette, I think it is safe to say yes.
Old 07-18-17, 08:00 PM
shoota 

I don't know if it's fair to say "Diverge is a bad value assuming you can find a deal on another bike for a total of 50% off retail between corporate discounts and a big sale", though....
Fair enough. But I do feel good about myself though lol
Old 07-18-17, 11:54 PM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked but I didn't see it. Can the stem be slammed with the FS?
If by slammed you mean inverted, then yes you can, it'll look a little weird but if I recall, pros who rode at Paris Roubaix has inverted stems on their Spesh Roubaix.

And I measured my Roubaix which probably has the same dimensions, the 3 spacers height is around 20mm, and you can change the plastic cup to a low profile one so I guess all in you got 25mm of stack adjustment?

Last edited by wheelhot; 07-18-17 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-19-17, 02:52 AM
Rennvelo

Bikes: Specialiced Roubaix Comp 2017; Giant Anthem X1 2008 (MTB)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
The specs online do not specify this, but based on the photos and the fact that the bike comes with an 11-32 cassette, I think it is safe to say yes.
@BluesDawg: Glad to have experts in this forum!
Old 07-19-17, 06:56 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by wheelhot
If by slammed you mean inverted, then yes you can, it'll look a little weird but if I recall, pros who rode at Paris Roubaix has inverted stems on their Spesh Roubaix.

And I measured my Roubaix which probably has the same dimensions, the 3 spacers height is around 20mm, and you can change the plastic cup to a low profile one so I guess all in you got 25mm of stack adjustment?
Nope, that's not slammed. They had inverted stems because they couldn't slam their stem. Thanks for the info on the adjustment, appreciated.
Old 07-20-17, 12:18 AM
eppan

Bikes: Coppi Campionissimo, Gios Super Record

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diverge-headsets.jpg

Left: No spacers, and shallow futureshock topcoat
Right: 3 spacers, and taller futureshock topcoat

Last edited by eppan; 07-20-17 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Sorry for small pic, still new to the forum :)
Old 07-20-17, 05:09 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
If you had it slammed there would be no suspension travel.
Old 07-21-17, 07:46 AM
shoota 

Yeah so basically if you want lower bars you're forced to use an inverted stem.
Old 07-21-17, 12:41 PM
sgtrobo

Bikes: Cutthroat, Scalpel, Roubaix, Sequoia, SuperX, Diverge

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How does the Diverge compare on smooth road to your Roubaix? Do you notice it feeling more sluggish etc?
I was only on a smaller smooth area, I was mostly on cobble, so I didn't get a chance to put a good # of miles. I will say this, the Diverge itself did *not* feel sluggish at all on the flatened area, and on the few occasions when I really stood to hammer. I'm going to be going in again to do some more test riding on the Diverge and I'll keep this in mind to see if it is a true "Roubaix replacement" on the road
Old 07-21-17, 06:23 PM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Roubaix replacement" on the road
But Roubaix is designed for roads :haha:
Old 07-21-17, 07:18 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by fruitpunch.ben
I guess since none of the 2018s have any dampening in the seat, Specialized is admitting that the zertz inserts there were a gimmick?
FWIW, I just found this old advertisement from Specialized. They say the Zertz damper is equivalent to taking 30psi out of a 23c tire.

The facts on FACT
Old 07-21-17, 07:39 PM
fruitpunch.ben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtrobo
just a few notes from me as i spent a good hour riding the new Diverge Comp around on some nice climbs, a small amount of trails (all hardpack), and some nice cobbles.

This is coming from the perspective of a guy who owns a 2013 Fargo, a 2015 Roubaix, and a 2016 Cutthroat.

1. The FutureShock - I'm 115kg/250 lbs, and when I stood out of the saddle to climb a hill, I didn't notice the shock. When I got to a flat, stood and hammered to accelerate hard, I didn't notice the shock. When I turned around and descended down the cobblestone road, I noticed the shock because I *didn't* notice the cobblestones. I was a skeptic about the FutureShock. Now I'm a believer. Enough said from me on that.

3. Riding position is notably more relaxed than the Roubaix (2015 Roubaix geometry is notably more relaxed than 2017) or even the Sequoia. Not quite as relaxed as my Cutthroat or Fargo.
Regarding (3) Do you mean that the ride position is notably more relaxed than the 2015 Roubaix, or the 2017? If the 2015, that's pretty relaxed then! Did you notice a big difference in how fast it felt?

Regarding (1) How much of a difference does future shock make? I.e. if I can get a 2015 Roubaix for half the price of the alloy diverge with future shock, should I? Or am I going to regret not having future shock?
Old 07-21-17, 08:35 PM
sgtrobo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Regarding (3) Do you mean that the ride position is notably more relaxed than the 2015 Roubaix, or the 2017? If the 2015, that's pretty relaxed then! Did you notice a big difference in how fast it felt?
no, notably more relaxed than the Sequoia and 2017 Roubaix, more relaxed than the 2015 Roubaix. It felt damned fast, but I mainly focused on the climbing aspects. I was really worried about my 115kg butt bouncing around on the Future Shock, so I focused hard on standing and hammering, climbing, climbing out of the saddle, and hitting the cobbles.

It won't be as fast on the road as a Roubaix. There's simply no way it will, nor should it, for the same reason a Roubaix won't be as fast on smooth tarmac as...well....a Tarmac. This isn't the bike to race crits or road races. This isn't the bike to take on a club training ride where you maintain 40km/h in a paceline for a metric century.
What this bike seems to be for is to do a 50-250 km mixed surface race/ride as fast and comfortable as possible. I'm fairly well convinced this is about as good as it gets.

I'd call this a 75/25 bike. If you're going to do about 3/4 of your mileage on the road, I'm betting you will love the Diverge. If you're looking at 90/10, then probably stick with the Roubaix. If you're looking at 25/75, then consider a Salsa Cutthroat.

Regarding (1) How much of a difference does future shock make? I.e. if I can get a 2015 Roubaix for half the price of the alloy diverge with future shock, should I? Or am I going to regret not having future shock?
Don't focus on the Future Shock so much. Focus on the capabilities of these bikes. The Roubaix is a road bike, the Diverge a gravel bike.
The Roubaix is capable of high speed club ride/races on pavement, the Diverge is not.
The Diverge is capable of fast, long, hard (that's what she said) rides both on-road and off-road, on pavement and gravel, and even some hardpack/flowy singletrack (no roots, rocks, or drops though), the Roubaix is not.

If I was exclusively a roadie, then I wouldn't even consider the Diverge. I'd just upgrade my Roubaix with nicer wheels or some more carbon bits, or I'd consider a 2017 Roubaix (although the hunks of titanium and kevlar that sit where my C6/C7 used to sit don't like the 2017 Roubaix geometry much)

The only reason I'm considering replacing my Roubaix with the Diverge is because n=s-1 right now. That means n+1 equals s, and I will be SOL, if you feel me.
Old 07-21-17, 10:25 PM
fruitpunch.ben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only reason I'm considering replacing my Roubaix with the Diverge is because n=s-1 right now. That means n+1 equals s, and I will be SOL, if you feel me.
Well n+2 = s right now for me. I only get one (more) bike for a long time. I'm pretty sure I'll be 90/10 but I'm thinking the Diverge does seem to be a fantastic "hedge your bets" sort of bike, particularly since I have no interest in races or club rides. I have no need to fear being dropped, I just need a bike that feels fast and is relatively adaptable if I take the dirt track home...

Complicating things is that there's a bunch of roubaix's on Craigslist for really good deals right now, and not much else in the endurance/adventure bike category. Buying a three year old bike for half price will certainly help the s factor.

But you've been helpful, thanks.
Old 07-21-17, 10:53 PM
sgtrobo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well n+2 = s right now for me. I only get one (more) bike for a long time. I'm pretty sure I'll be 90/10 but I'm thinking the Diverge does seem to be a fantastic "hedge your bets" sort of bike, particularly since I have no interest in races or club rides. I have no need to fear being dropped, I just need a bike that feels fast and is relatively adaptable if I take the dirt track home...

Complicating things is that there's a bunch of roubaix's on Craigslist for really good deals right now, and not much else in the endurance/adventure bike category. Buying a three year old bike for half price will certainly help the s factor.

But you've been helpful, thanks.
no problemo. If you have a desire to go off road some, hit some gravel roads, maybe some dirt roads, and still go fast on the road, then the Diverge would make a good choice. If you get a Roubaix, you won't go on those dirt/gravel roads. If you're ok with that, then I can tell you without reservation that the 2015 Roubaix I have is completely awesome.
Old 07-21-17, 10:57 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Roubaix is capable of high speed club ride/races on pavement, the Diverge is not.
I can't remember if you said, had you ridden the 2017 and previous Diverge? Because many reviews of the previous year Diverges said that they absolutely could be ridden on high speed club rides on pavement. And user reviews on the FB group say things like it feels as fast as their Tarmacs on flats and downhills, just a bit heavier uphill.

I'm wondering if the 2018 is different enough to be noticeably slower on the road.
Old 07-22-17, 06:15 AM
Lazyass

I rode my Diverge on my club ride last Sunday. I was always one of the strongest riders and I still was on the Diverge. I'm no slower on it than on my 16lb Focus with 25c tires and 1400g wheels. Absolutely no difference at all. My average MPH solo is no different. Nor am I any slower on my vintage bikes. My last 100K I did in May I finished first with one other guy on my 34 year old Univega with a 6 speed freewheel, dropping people who's wheels cost many times more than what I paid for my complete bike. And I'm 49 years old. The guy right behind me was even older, and he was on a 10 year old Bikes Direct Motobecane. The next group with carbon wonder bikes and wheels finished 10 minutes later.

Does it "feel" slightly sluggish? A little, but 445g tires don't help. Does that translate into actually being slower? No. Look at this bike and tell me why it is not capable of high speed rides.

Old 07-22-17, 07:53 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I rode my Diverge on my club ride last Sunday. I was always one of the strongest riders and I still was on the Diverge. I'm no slower on it than on my 16lb Focus with 25c tires and 1400g wheels. Absolutely no difference at all. My average MPH solo is no different. Nor am I any slower on my vintage bikes. My last 100K I did in May I finished first with one other guy on my 34 year old Univega with a 6 speed freewheel, dropping people who's wheels cost many times more than what I paid for my complete bike. And I'm 49 years old. The guy right behind me was even older, and he was on a 10 year old Bikes Direct Motobecane. The next group with carbon wonder bikes and wheels finished 10 minutes later.

Does it "feel" slightly sluggish? A little, but 445g tires don't help. Does that translate into actually being slower? No. Look at this bike and tell me why it is not capable of high speed rides.
This is the kind of info I like to hear.

What I'm wondering now is, would the 2018 (one of the FutureShock models) feel (and perform) as fast? How about a Fuji Jari or Raleigh Willard?
Old 07-22-17, 08:43 AM
Lazyass

This is the kind of info I like to hear.

What I'm wondering now is, would the 2018 (one of the FutureShock models) feel (and perform) as fast? How about a Fuji Jari or Raleigh Willard?
There's no reason why it wouldn't. For me personally, mine didn't feel like a proper road bike until I got the gearing sorted out with an 11-28 and a 53/39 crankset. Now it feels like any other road bike, it just rides smoother. I'm sure the '18 would be the same. I hate the way bikes are geared now. They're more suited for a mountain bike.

The Race Face crankset/bb and saddle alone dropped a pound off mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.