Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Boom!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 09:24 AM
globie

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boom!

A minute ago, while I'm sitting in my office, a loud explosion nearby scared the stuffing out of me.
I went to investigate and in the next room saw that the rear tire of my bike was flat, blown off the rim.
On my way home last night, the same tire went flat. When I removed the tube, there was a shard of metal 1.25 inches long almost all the way inside the tube. I repaired it with a different tube, one that I had previously patched once.
When I filled the tube, I had a loose fitting on the presta valve so that when I reached the desired pressure, it would drop rapidly, but I stopped when it reached at 70 lbs., and it seemed to be about the right firmness, not overly hard.
I rode the bike all 6.5 miles to work this morning without incident. The bike had been sitting still more than an hour.
Any guesses about a cause for the explosion?
Thanks.
Old 11-01-17, 09:32 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
The tube escaped the confines of the tire, most often due to improper mounting, such that a portion of the tube is sitting under the tire bead. Less often due to tire hole or bad bead. Not due to tube, valve or tire pressure. If the tire was off the rim the only causes are mounting or bad tire bead.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 11-01-17 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-01-17, 09:35 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by globie
I rode the bike all 6.5 miles to work this morning without incident. The bike had been sitting still more than an hour.
Any guesses about a cause for the explosion?
Thanks.
Tube pinched under tire bead, and as it warmed up the pressure changed, the tube pulled on the pinch where it was weakened and then blew.
Old 11-01-17, 09:40 AM
globie

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you both must be right. The site of the shredding of the tube is where it would have met the rim. I've never pinched a tube before in many repairs, but there's always a first time. Thanks!
Old 11-01-17, 09:50 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
This is why I use brightly colored or fluorescent rim tape and visually inspect.

I pump the tube just enough to expand it into the mounted tire, slightly deflate so that tire bead can be pushed back from the rim and visually inspect all the way around the tire/rim on both sides. Fluorescent rim tape helps in low light.

Pushing back the tire bead and visually checking is the only way to be sure that the tube is not under the tire bead.

-Tim-
Old 11-01-17, 09:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Pushing back the tire bead and visually checking is the only way to be sure that the tube is not under the tire bead
hmmm, thanks. been tempted to do that but was afraid, in doing so, would actually encourage the tube to slide under the bead
Old 11-01-17, 09:57 AM
Moose

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be that the offending metal shard put a big enough slice in the tire casing that precipitated it's failure to hold pressure.

An inspection of the tube to confirm the proximity of the blowout would reveal where the failure took place... we will be awaiting the forensic details and summary of your conclusions.
Old 11-01-17, 10:17 AM
globie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moose
we will be awaiting the forensic details and summary of your conclusions.
I inspected the tire casing pretty closely last night and saw no big tear or hole. I was having a little trouble last night clearing the new tube from the bead near the valve. I thought that I had pushed it back enough, but my conclusion is that some of it still got pinched. The extra inflation because of the warm office makes sense, because it was cold last night when I filled it.
Old 11-01-17, 11:11 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
The extra inflation because of the warm office makes sense, because it was cold last night when I filled it.
It sometimes takes some time for the failure to occur, as air slowly leaks into the pinched area. I doubt that the increased temperature had much to do with it, since going from 50F (283.15K) to 75F (297.0K) will only increase the pressure by about 5%. Actually 4.94%: 297/283.15=1.0494
Old 11-01-17, 12:39 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
It sometimes takes some time for the failure to occur, as air slowly leaks into the pinched area. I doubt that the increased temperature had much to do with it, since going from 50F (283.15K) to 75F (297.0K) will only increase the pressure by about 5%. Actually 4.94%: 297/283.15=1.0494
temp. change will effect the TUBE... it will stretch easier. that pressure increase will have less effect than the now more pliable tube material.
Old 11-01-17, 01:42 PM
wphamilton

Could be, but FWIW butyl rubber has minimal change in tensile strength for temperature changes in this region. We do know that it's pretty common, an hour or two after stopping and mostly reported after sitting in the sun or otherwise warming. The tire itself will also soften up, perhaps the shape or tensions change slightly, who knows.

More surely, it has to do with the temperature and most likely a pinched tube.
Old 11-01-17, 01:54 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Could be, but FWIW butyl rubber has minimal change in tensile strength for temperature changes in this region. We do know that it's pretty common, an hour or two after stopping and mostly reported after sitting in the sun or otherwise warming. The tire itself will also soften up, perhaps the shape or tensions change slightly, who knows.

More surely, it has to do with the temperature and most likely a pinched tube.
all factors must be considered... blowouts are typically not a one cause failure.

as to temp of tires/tubes... a few minutes in the sun makes tire slip on much easier... i've done literally thousands of tire swaps over the years.... bicycle tire are easy compared to... oh,,, a Goodyear Rimsaver tire on a Sportster wheel... or a Michelin Rally tire on a BBS racing wheel... or a half rotted tractor tire on a rusty split rim coated with cow crap...... did a 3:20 time changing tubes in an M/C dirt bike front wheel, off bike, swap tube, back onto bike, air it up... fund raiser for the local USA ISDE team members that year... best time was a 2:10... one guy did 2:45 with a mousse tube! those tubes demand use of vice grips to mount up....

Last edited by maddog34; 11-01-17 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-01-17, 02:19 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by maddog34
all factors must be considered... blowouts are typically not a one cause failure.

as to temp of tires/tubes... a few minutes in the sun makes tire slip on much easier... i've done literally thousands of tire swaps over the years.... bicycle tire are easy compared to... oh,,, a Goodyear Rimsaver tire on a Sportster wheel... or a Michelin Rally tire on a BBS racing wheel... or a half rotted tractor tire on a rusty split rim coated with cow crap......
Yep, though we're getting a little off-topic I guess it's still pertinent since we're still discussing "why". The rubber, tires and butyl both, show a pretty good variation in elastic stretching and stiffness for that change in temperature, but I find it interesting that tensile strength, which is a different property, doesn't change all that much until quite a bit higher temperatures. So I'm inclined to attribute it more to a pressure effect which we know from the simple gas law could change 5 or 6% from cool morning to 70's. Radiant heat from the sun might roughly double that change.
Old 11-01-17, 03:39 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is why I use brightly colored or fluorescent rim tape and visually inspect.

I pump the tube just enough to expand it into the mounted tire, slightly deflate so that tire bead can be pushed back from the rim and visually inspect all the way around the tire/rim on both sides. Fluorescent rim tape helps in low light.

Pushing back the tire bead and visually checking is the only way to be sure that the tube is not under the tire bead.

-Tim-
This is my SOP but had never thought to use flouro rim tape. Brilliant. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-01-17, 04:42 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts

-Tim-
A good reason not to use those cheap black rubber rim strips, then. White Velox or blue Pacenti or yellow Stan's tape all make it abundantly clear if the tube is attempting an escape.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-01-17, 04:49 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Your tire will tell you.

If the tire plies are torn from the rim, or there's another large tear in the wall, that's why it blew. Probably related to the original cut, where you replaced the tube and didn't notice the damage to tire.

Otherwise, if the tire looks 100% OK, then it's on you
. Specifically you failed to properly seat the bead, uniformly all the way around, and the high area was able to slowly creep upward until it blew over the side. Remember, tires are big enough to go over the side of the rim, which is how you mount them in the first place. So, it's critical that you seat them evenly all the way around so no area has the slack needed to blow off.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-01-17, 05:17 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I think you both must be right. The site of the shredding of the tube is where it would have met the rim. I've never pinched a tube before in many repairs, but there's always a first time. Thanks!
Golly-gee-willikers! An objective, honest OP who admits that it's possible he may have made a mistake. I guess there really is a first time for everything.
Old 11-02-17, 09:02 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I always get a good laugh when someone tries the "it blew because it was in the sun" excuse. It's a pinched tube. We all have or will do it, own it and move on.