Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting in Dublin, Ireland

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 04:31 AM
MRmango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right place to post it [so don't kill me ]

youtube.com/watch?v=Lx2JTzYviOk

YT channel regarding commuting and cycling in Dublin, Ireland.
Old 08-07-18, 12:39 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Looks like they now have bike lanes. I lived in Dublin for 8 months in 1992 and had to commute from Ranelagh to Kevin Street College (now DIT). I would have not dared to ride a bike back then. I only walked. Traffic was mad back then. No bike lanes, crazy cab drivers, ignorant lorry and delivery drivers,.... I even remember quite a few horses drawn carts back then from travellers who had occupied various abandoned properties around downtown. But this was all before the high-tech boom started. I would love to back again.
Old 08-13-18, 02:45 AM
MRmango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
Looks like they now have bike lanes. I lived in Dublin for 8 months in 1992 and had to commute from Ranelagh to Kevin Street College (now DIT). I would have not dared to ride a bike back then. I only walked. Traffic was mad back then. No bike lanes, crazy cab drivers, ignorant lorry and delivery drivers,.... I even remember quite a few horses drawn carts back then from travellers who had occupied various abandoned properties around downtown. But this was all before the high-tech boom started. I would love to back again.
Well, the odd cart drawn by horses still happen sometimes in the city centre (the buses then go very slowly LMAO) or in places like Tallaght or Ballyfermot. Drivers and pedestrians are better albeit it is still very dangerous at times. I am having several death scares per week. Got 3 serious bike crashes since 2015. So far still in one piece.

Drivers don't realize how close they are passing by and how it is to commute without the secure metal cage around you.