Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crack on seat lug (top) of 1987 ALAN; slow failure or catastrophic failure?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-11-19, 01:24 AM
skiron_2500

Bikes: 1980s ALAN, 1990s Holdsworth, 1980s? Evans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello there!

A crack has developed along the top of the seat post lug of my 1987 ALAN. (When I bought the bike second hand in 2010, the crack was one third of what it is now, stemming from the seat post. Over time, it developed into what you can see here.)

I have accepted that this means the failure of the frame, or else hanging it on the wall (god damn, it's beautiful!). Yes, I know that these frames can't be welded; and yes, I have a steel-framed bike. But I was wondering if I could wrap a hose clamp around this lug, and use the frame for gentle rides, until failure occurred.

However, I could only do this if the failure was slow and safe (e.g. the top tube started to rattle), and not if the failure was to be sudden and violent (e.g. the top tube suddenly separated from the lug, half of the bike lurched forward, and I fell into the front wheel and the road).

So, does anyone have the experience and/or engineering know-how to answer? What would it be -- slow or sudden failure?? Help would be greatly appreciated!!

^ The crack up close.

^ The crack from further back.

^Assorted hose clamps--up to the task?
Old 07-11-19, 06:10 AM
wojowojo16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I would not trust my life on a $0.45 hose clamp...

1st Post...woohoo...

I'm by no means an expert, but I am mechanically included....that is not a solution I would be comfortable with. Those hose clamps tend to slip if over tightened, they are meant to hold a rubber type of hose in place, nothing more.
Likes For wojowojo16:
Old 07-11-19, 06:12 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by wojowojo16
I would not trust my life on a $0.45 hose clamp...

1st Post...woohoo...

I'm by no means an expert, but I am mechanically included....that is not a solution I would be comfortable with. Those hose clamps tend to slip if over tightened, they are meant to hold a rubber type of hose in place, nothing more.
+ 1 on this first post.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-11-19, 07:01 AM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
It appears to be a complete failure. You know about it and have been watching it. Now the catastrophic part or how big of a total catastrophic failure is up to you. That thing is toast, hang it on the wall......
Likes For 308jerry:
Old 07-11-19, 07:55 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
To dangerous to ride, in my opinion. Though it can break one's heart, sometimes you have to bit the bullet and retire the frame. Bummer!
Old 07-11-19, 08:10 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Get it repaired at a professional frame shop. Spend the money to restore it or stop riding it. That is an accident waiting to happen.
Likes For Sapperc:
Old 07-11-19, 08:18 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
That can be repaired. But it could easily go wrong.
You gotta have a plan.
The hose clamps are not a good idea tho clamps may be an option. It's a permanent repair you need not temporary.
If you can't do it yourself bring it to a few places who might and see what they think.
Old 07-11-19, 08:42 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by skiron_2500
Hello there!

A crack has developed along the top of the seat post lug of my 1987 ALAN. (When I bought the bike second hand in 2010, the crack was one third of what it is now, stemming from the seat post. Over time, it developed into what you can see here.)

I have accepted that this means the failure of the frame, or else hanging it on the wall (god damn, it's beautiful!). Yes, I know that these frames can't be welded; and yes, I have a steel-framed bike. But I was wondering if I could wrap a hose clamp around this lug, and use the frame for gentle rides, until failure occurred.

However, I could only do this if the failure was slow and safe (e.g. the top tube started to rattle), and not if the failure was to be sudden and violent (e.g. the top tube suddenly separated from the lug, half of the bike lurched forward, and I fell into the front wheel and the road).

So, does anyone have the experience and/or engineering know-how to answer? What would it be -- slow or sudden failure?? Help would be greatly appreciated!!

^Assorted hose clamps--up to the task?
No I don't think hose clamps are remotely up to the task. I use them in my work and know their limitations. Don't expect them to do anything helpful if that joint fails.
Where I think you could find stop-gap gap relief, is with 1/2" single layer woven nylon webbing straps. Bike would look ungainly, and ugly as sin, by the time I felt I had secured it sufficiently, but I think, properly done it would be safe to ride.
Personally, I would only use this as a stop-gap, until I got a replacement frame.
Perhaps more appropriate as an emergency wilderness solution.
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 07-11-19, 08:53 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
It's dead, Jim.
Old 07-11-19, 08:55 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 278 Posts
Those lugs are glued to the tubes. I don't think the strength of the glue was the problem with Alan frames, but rather lug cracking like this. I don't see why the crack couldn't be similarly glued together. You'd need to clean it out, and find some sort of appropriate epoxy that could be flowed in. But I bet it could be done and be fine, if done right.
Old 07-11-19, 09:35 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26246 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Those lugs are glued to the tubes. I don't think the strength of the glue was the problem with Alan frames, but rather lug cracking like this. I don't see why the crack couldn't be similarly glued together. You'd need to clean it out, and find some sort of appropriate epoxy that could be flowed in. But I bet it could be done and be fine, if done right.
...I'm uncertain if this is appropriate in this case. One of the characteristics of various space age adhesives is that many of them will only work within certain tolerances. So it's entirely possible that the expansion of the lug as the crack progresses has affected the fit between the lug and the frame tube beyond whatever space age adhesive was originally used to join them. I don't know enough about the glue used to further opine.

Other than to say I wouldn't ride that to the grocery store.
Old 07-11-19, 09:55 AM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Nine injury free years with a cracked lug is a damn nice run. Are you sure you want to push your luck ?
Sometimes one can dabble outside their area of expertise. Sometimes not. Which one do you think applies here ??
Expert frame builder for an evaluation, or bust
Old 07-11-19, 09:59 AM
Paletti

Bikes: 1985 DeRosa SLX, 1994 DeRosa Primato, 2009 DeRosa x-light, 1993 Paletti, 1983 Colnago aero cx, 1984 Colnago Mexico, 1983 Colner strato professional, 2016 Colnago V1-R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
honestly id be cheaper and safer to just buy a new frame. Those don't fetch too much. No way I'd ride a bike with a broken lug.
Old 07-11-19, 10:05 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
The only way to fix it safely would be to dissolve the epoxy, remove the lug from the tubes, and either replace with a new lug or do a TIG weld repair on the crack, which would involve welding with aluminum filler rod, heat treating, and then sanding and polishing down to the original profile and finish. Then the lug would need to be re-epoxied back onto the tubes in an appropriate fixture. Unless you're willing to spend thousands of dollars on this repair, it's not going to happen. You can't just bring this to your local framebuilder to have repaired. Most framebuilders do not weld aluminum, and do not work with epoxy construction. Even if you approached a seasoned aluminum framebuilder like Ventana or FTW, I doubt they would take the project on as it involves a glued frame.

It's just a bike. There are others that will ride just as well. Hang it up and start a new project.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 07-11-19 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-11-19, 10:38 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
ALAN frames were "screwed and glued" meaning that the tubes had a sort of tapered thread (similar to National Pipe Thread (NPT)) that was right-handed on one end of the tube and left-handed on the other end, allowing the frame tubes to be screwed into the lugs like a turnbuckle. I think this is why they broke in this way. The lugs are either cast or forged, and not great performers in tension, but they're forced to take a constant sorta tensile preload from the tube being screwed in until the lug stretches around its circumferance (closer to yielding, takes less force to put it into yield).

Regarding Tengrain's comment, you may not even be able to weld the alloy of aluminum these are made of. Lots of older aluminum stuff was Dural, which is a trade name for 2024 series aluminum alloy (contains lots of copper), which is not weldable (many plane parts are made of it, and they rivet those together for example). Even if it isn't Dural you have no idea what alloy it is so you have no idea what filler to use to get a decent weld, and you only have one shot so you can't experiment. No welder would do it for anyone other than him or herself, for a laugh.

In my experience machining metal, you MIGHT be able to fit what is known as a "corset" (two alu half shells that can be drawn together with bolts) around the lug and squeeze it together as a repair. You'd need to machine this to fit the lug exactly, and maybe machine the lug to a uniform surface to better interface with the "corset". A tall order. Not worth it. I would do it on my bike, again, for a laugh, but I would never do it for anyone else. It might last a week, might last ten years. They'd sue me when they ignored the warning signs and it failed on them.

If you love the ride of your ALAN you might want to consider the possibly more reliable, definitely cheaper, Vitus 979. These weren't screwed together, just glued, and the tube fits outside the lug, which I think is a better design. Lots of ALAN frames have cracked lugs but I've never seen a Vitus 979 with a cracked tube at a joint. The normal (very rare) failure for a Vitus 979 is to come unglued, which is quite uncommon for the normal aluminum ones. Steer clear of the "carbone" though.

In conclusion, the "screwed and glued" construction trades one failure mode (coming unglued, as the non-screwed Vitus 979) for another (cracking at the lug). Pick your poison. I love the ride of these old bonded frames, but they're not going to last forever.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 07-11-19, 02:18 PM
Dan Chase

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 38 Posts
Hate to say, that frame as dead as the Dodo`s... these early carbon/alloy frames are prone to failure - even if it just starts to creak you should consider getting off... if one joint is failing this bad the others arn`t far behind - I guess you`ve seen the pics of other Alans and Look frames letting go when they fail? I have a bairly ridden `86 Look TVT and its in perfect condition, but I still check it all the time and ride it with some caution (though it is the smoothest riding frame I have...)

Sorry, Dan.
Old 07-11-19, 03:29 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
It's dead, Jim.
Scrolled down to see if anyone had said it yet, you beat me to it.

Aluminum cracks, catastrophic failure could be right around the corner, and will give no warning.
Old 07-11-19, 03:53 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Intact and NOS ALAN frames are out there. Hang this one on the wall and transfer the components to another.

Then await the impending doom on frame #2 (Sorry, I don't have faith in these).

-Kurt

Old 07-11-19, 04:15 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
A safe failure? With a bicycle you will be riding? I
Old 07-11-19, 04:22 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 1,743 Posts
A friend of mine is an Alan fan and an avid rider. He owns quite a few, with and without cracks and told me he's not particularly worried about the cracks ("they all do that"). He was still alive three weeks ago.

Old 07-11-19, 04:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
There is a permanent repair you could do. Wrap the lug with carbon fiber and epoxy Use unidirectional CF and encircle the lug at the crack. If I were doing it, I'd also wrap the rest of the lug, using layers in several directions to spread loads. With enough CF wrapped around the cracked area to mimic the original lug, the lug will go on long after the bike has died of other causes. And with skill and care (and careful masking, the job could be done to look quite good (though quite different from the rest of the bike. But when you are riding, it is hidden between your legs so there is that.)

This does require both research and skill. If it were my bike, I might well do it. (I saved a Reynold 501 sport Peugeot that way that had cracked both chainstays just behind the support. Extended the wrap both back along the chainstay a few inches and forward, around the BB and up onto the seat tube and down tube. Put 8000 miles on the repair (until I retired the frame for other reasons). After the repair it was the world's stiffest BB'd Peugeot. Fun ride! Now I do have some skills in that area. Built many polyester fiberglass boats from barrels of resin and rolls of mat, cloth and roving. And a lot of furniture and other items from wood and boatbuilding epoxy (and a boat or two). Not much CF but it is just another slightly harder to work with fabric.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-11-19, 05:20 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
My Centurion Carbon-R has suffered a similar failure. My first indication was a slight shimmy in the front end, that didn't seem to go away. As the tubes loosen in the lugs, I think you'll inch closer to a sudden let-go.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 07-12-19, 01:40 AM
skiron_2500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
My Centurion Carbon-R has suffered a similar failure. My first indication was a slight shimmy in the front end, that didn't seem to go away. As the tubes loosen in the lugs, I think you'll inch closer to a sudden let-go.
Thanks a lot for this. So, it sounds like there would be some warning signs from the frame.

How much riding did you do / how much time elapsed between the crack appearing and the shimmy beginning?

(I've already bought a replacement frame--a Vitus 979--and was wondering if I could use the bike gently until the Vitus arrives in the post.)
Old 07-12-19, 01:49 AM
skiron_2500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
There is a permanent repair you could do. Wrap the lug with carbon fiber and epoxy Use unidirectional CF and encircle the lug at the crack. If I were doing it, I'd also wrap the rest of the lug, using layers in several directions to spread loads. With enough CF wrapped around the cracked area to mimic the original lug, the lug will go on long after the bike has died of other causes. And with skill and care (and careful masking, the job could be done to look quite good (though quite different from the rest of the bike. But when you are riding, it is hidden between your legs so there is that.)

This does require both research and skill. If it were my bike, I might well do it. (I saved a Reynold 501 sport Peugeot that way that had cracked both chainstays just behind the support. Extended the wrap both back along the chainstay a few inches and forward, around the BB and up onto the seat tube and down tube. Put 8000 miles on the repair (until I retired the frame for other reasons). After the repair it was the world's stiffest BB'd Peugeot. Fun ride! Now I do have some skills in that area. Built many polyester fiberglass boats from barrels of resin and rolls of mat, cloth and roving. And a lot of furniture and other items from wood and boatbuilding epoxy (and a boat or two). Not much CF but it is just another slightly harder to work with fabric.

Ben
Fascinating, thanks! After this frame has been hung on the wall for a while, I think I might have a go at the project you describe. It would make for an interesting custom bike, maybe a bike for running local errands. I've got quite a good hand for re-upholstery, and have 'wrapped' armchairs and other pieces of furniture before, along with customising bags and clothes, so it might well be something I could do. Thanks again for sparking such an interesting idea!
Old 07-12-19, 01:52 AM
skiron_2500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
A friend of mine is an Alan fan and an avid rider. He owns quite a few, with and without cracks and told me he's not particularly worried about the cracks ("they all do that"). He was still alive three weeks ago.
Three weeks sounds good! That's about how long my replacement Vitus frame will take to arrive in the post :'-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.