Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Heading out on the C&O/WO&D Loop

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 08:51 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts

My wife and I are heading out on the C&O/WO&D Loop. This is a 75-80 mile round trip from DC to Leesburg VA and back. We are staying overnight at a B&B that caters to bikers in Leesburg. I will try to remember to bring back some nice photos. Weather is cool and partly sunny - for now
Old 05-22-08, 09:09 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoy the ride

Be sure to take lots of pictures. I hope to do some of the C&O one day.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-22-08, 10:35 AM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Plx please. A number of years ago, I took the train from home in Charlottesville, VA to DC and rode the C&O towparth to its end in Cumberland Maryland and then rode back home on roads through West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. It was a fabulous trip that probably took about a week or so.

While in Leesburg, I was drinking from a bottle of orange juice, when I felt a crunching sensation in my mouth. Turned out to be a bee who had gotten into the bottle, He stung me on my tongue, which is something you never completely forget. So, be careful out there. He may have relatives.
Old 05-23-08, 06:55 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I'll look forward to the ride report. The Allegheny Trail / C&O is on my list of things to do before I go to room temperature.
Old 05-23-08, 03:25 PM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

We are back. All in all a very nice, relaxing ride. 72 miles round trip. Here are the pics including lots of the obligatory bike shots:

Along the WO&D - the entire trail is paved like this. Makes for nice riding. It is a long, very gentle climb toward the mountains. Unfortunately we faced a 15-20 mph headwind the entire 35 miles.

Reston Town Center where we stopped for lunch. I have lived in DC since 1980 but have never been here. Reston is one of the first planned communities in the US.

A cute general store and BBQ pit along the way

Cows along the WO&D. You see a lot of this country when you get way out of town

The Norris House Inn where we stayed the night in Leesburg. Nice place, that caters to bikers. We ate a a nice French Restaurant across the street.

White's Ferry where we crossed over the Potomac to the Maryland shore. THe B&B proprietor gave us a ride to the Ferry

DW and bike along a nice section of the C&O tow path. The first 12 miles of the path were muddy and bumpy. It is like that all the way to Pittsburg - so be careful NOT to go when it is rainy. Luckily we were two days past the rains or the ride would have been a drag

Great Falls on the Potomac - a premier kayaking area

The obligatory shot of me and bike along the C&O
Old 05-23-08, 03:27 PM
donheff

Here are a couple of more shots. There is a ten pic limit.

DW looking out at the river below Great Falls

The section of the river she was looking at
Old 05-23-08, 04:02 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
We were at Great Falls on the MD side last week. There was a TREMENDOUS amount of water going through the 3 separate channels. I heard over a million gallons per second.

We met some self-contained bikers who had camped out while traversing the canal. They said the trip was "boring!"
Old 05-23-08, 04:28 PM
RHoude

Bikes: Cannondale Adventure 400 + Gazelle Medeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
Here are a couple of more shots. There is a ten pic limit.

DW looking out at the river below Great Falls

The section of the river she was looking at
Thanks for the ride report and pics. You bring back some really nice memories of riding both the C&O and WO&D trails. We rode the C&O around Harper's Ferry and the WO&D from Leesburg up to the trail head and then back down to Herndon. Too bad I could'nt convince my girlfriend to ride on into Reston. She would have loved it, but the ride back into Leesburg had her worried a bit too much.

We plan to ride the entire length of the C&O one of these days.

Cheers,
Ron
Cycling Vacation the Bike & Boat Way
Old 05-23-08, 04:29 PM
colorado dale
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first 12 miles of the path were muddy and bumpy. It is like that all the way to Pittsburg - so be careful NOT to go when it is rainy.
-------------------------------------- corrections-----
I've ridden all sections West of Lees Ferry both ways
1) its Pittsburgh (Pittsburg is in kansas)
2) not exactly true C&O is like that all the way to Cumberland but Penna. portion of GAP trail uses a pea gravel so it drains pretty fast vs C&O being basically the clay based historic mule trail
3) 10 miles either side of Hancox is a paved trail running parallel to C&O so there is an option to get off
the dirt for 20 miles
4) It seems like the rough trail surface is typical for MD. NCR trail (Hunt Valley, MD to York, PA) MD portion is rough like C&O, when you cross PA line one finds sweat pea gravel
Old 05-23-08, 08:05 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds great. I love rides like that. Plan to do a few this year, perhaps one next week.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-23-08, 09:21 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Great pictures of a nice trip. I hit some of the same headwinds on my ride home. That country store is neat and serves great barbeque. The Pedal Shop is in the same set of stores and the owner, Mike, does great work.

Several years ago I did a 70+ mile WO&D / C&O loop on a heavy steel road bike with knobby tires. It was exhausting. Since then I've ridden the C&O a few times and the WO&D on my commute. There are some very nice views.
The C&O ride from the Beltway into D.C. and the National Mall / Capital Hill is a nice trip.

Last edited by robtown; 05-24-08 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-24-08, 08:50 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Pics. I recognize all those places (except the B&B). Will be passing many of those places this weekend. Leaving in a few minutes to ride the W&OD, Vienna to Purcelville and back. Will probably ride from Falls Church to Great Falls tomorrow.

I'd like to do that loop, but probably as a one-day. I can leave from my front door and be on the W&OD in 10 minutes.
Old 05-24-08, 10:51 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I and BF poster NeilFein are riding through there in two weeks, leaving from Pittsburgh on May 30 and arriving in DC on June 7 or 8. If any posters want to meet up with us, please PM me so we can work something out.

Neil B.

Old 05-24-08, 11:53 AM
RockyTopBiker
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the slideshow our our group's ride on the C& O a couple of years ago.
https://www.greenevillehikers.xtn.net...O%20Canal.html