Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Nitto North = Nitto Albatross ?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-08, 03:25 AM
KoYak

Bikes: Iron Horse Warrior Expert, Dahon MU P8, Bacchetta Giro 26, HP Velotechnik Grasshopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good morning everyone!

is the Nitto North the same as the Nitto Albatross handlebar? More importantly, will the Nitto North compatible with Barcon (barend) shifter? From everything I've read the Albatross will accept Barcons.

I have the Nitto North on my commuter bike (modified Iron Horse Warrior Hard Tail MTN Bike) and I'm looking to replace my grip shifters (I will also be replacing the rear derailleur) with the barcons. The grip shift work well but take up a nice hand position on the H-bar.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Mike
Old 07-26-08, 05:20 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Have the Albatross bar on my CrossCheck, it is a 1x9; but I do have one bar end shifter. works great.
A North and Albatross are similar but not quite the same handlebar, there is a little more "swoop" in the mid section of the Albaross, North is a little "flatter" and seemed to have more rise.
I like the albatross because it allows me a very upright position with the handgrips, a more aero with the mid section, and a third position on the bends of the handlebar. Have the top of the stem level with my seat and the handgrips of the Albatross angled slightly upward; took some time before i got the seat height, stem length and handlebar angle just right. At first I was not so sure that the Albatross was the right choice, once I got the adjustments just right am pretty satisfied with the Albatross- glad I got it vs the North.
Old 07-26-08, 12:32 PM
KoYak

Bikes: Iron Horse Warrior Expert, Dahon MU P8, Bacchetta Giro 26, HP Velotechnik Grasshopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by martianone
Have the Albatross bar on my CrossCheck, it is a 1x9; but I do have one bar end shifter. works great.
A North and Albatross are similar but not quite the same handlebar, there is a little more "swoop" in the mid section of the Albaross, North is a little "flatter" and seemed to have more rise.
I like the albatross because it allows me a very upright position with the handgrips, a more aero with the mid section, and a third position on the bends of the handlebar. Have the top of the stem level with my seat and the handgrips of the Albatross angled slightly upward; took some time before i got the seat height, stem length and handlebar angle just right. At first I was not so sure that the Albatross was the right choice, once I got the adjustments just right am pretty satisfied with the Albatross- glad I got it vs the North.
Yeah...Getting an Albatross bar is an option and pretty good option. I was hoping to not have to spend the money for another bar.
Old 07-26-08, 12:50 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
From a thread in Utility:

Originally Posted by AllenG
Here are my images comparing some of these bars next to one another.

A North Road on top of a Mary

An Albatross on top of a Mary

Comparing the difference in rise and width between the North Road and the Albatross. The Albatross is in the foreground.