Search
Notices
Eastern Canada New Brunswick | Newfoundland and Labrador | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec

Tragedy in Rougemont Qc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 06:49 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Tragedy in Rougemont Qc.

Quebec is one of the most cycling friendly places in North America, but many motorists still don't get it.
I was in the Montreal area all day yesterday, and this story dominated the radio news and talk shows all day.
https://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...002/story.html
Many of the callers to the talk shows went on about how all bikes should be on the bike path, have wide tires, red flags, yada yada yada. One woman was just livid that bikes just won't get out of her way, even when she pulls right up behind them and blows the horn.
I drive an 18 wheeler, and I manage to share the road safely with bicycles. Then again, I watch impatient car drivers who all seem to be in a rush to get their lives over with all day every day.
Credit to CJAD radio though, they went in depth on the law regarding rights and responsibilities of both cyclists and motorists. Sad that it takes a tragedy like this, but maybe this will help raise awareness for a few at least.
Old 05-15-10, 07:07 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Quebec is one of the most cycling friendly places in North America, but many motorists still don't get it.
I was in the Montreal area all day yesterday, and this story dominated the radio news and talk shows all day.
https://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...002/story.html
Many of the callers to the talk shows went on about how all bikes should be on the bike path, have wide tires, red flags, yada yada yada. One woman was just livid that bikes just won't get out of her way, even when she pulls right up behind them and blows the horn.
I drive an 18 wheeler, and I manage to share the road safely with bicycles. Then again, I watch impatient car drivers who all seem to be in a rush to get their lives over with all day every day.
Credit to CJAD radio though, they went in depth on the law regarding rights and responsibilities of both cyclists and motorists. Sad that it takes a tragedy like this, but maybe this will help raise awareness for a few at least.
I heard about this tragedy and it never ceases to amaze me how some people use these opportunities to rant about cyclists who by law have a right to be on the road. I ride in NYC which is a hectic area to do just about anything and I see plenty of carelessness on the side of both cyclists and motorists. I find motorists and cyclists yapping away on their cell phones more of a threat than trying to get around a cyclists which motorists should treat as a slow moving vehicle; I never see motorists shouting at sanitation sweepers when they have to get around them so cyclists should be treated the same. Conversely, cyclists should move to the right if a faster moving vehicle is approaching so they don't force the motorist to potentially have to move into a lane with oncoming traffic. There always is the contingent of motorists who see cycling as a hobby and should be treated as such, since some can't get their minds around the idea some of us ride as a transportation alternative so we make use of the rights we have to be on the road. I make a point of riding safely not only for my own well being but also to make it easier for motorists to not get incensed by my presence on the road, and since bearing right is better than getting clipped, it's no problem on my part. I've had my share of experiences riding in traffic over the years but fortunately nothing too serious, but I have noticed when I share the road with motorists they tend not to honk as much.
Old 05-15-10, 11:27 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
I've never been honked at...but then, I drive too, so I have experienced both sides.
Old 05-16-10, 09:40 PM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I read the article and what I don't get is why would you even bike on the highway?? to me that's suicidal when the average car speed is 100km/h (90km/h posted).
In Toronto bicycles are prohibitied on all 400 series highways and that's only 10km/h more in speed limit postings. All you need is one inattentive driver and that's it. The country road beside it is much safer with much less cars so they can concentrate on seeing cyclists more instead of other cars zooming with you, even though the road is gravel I'd rather switch to a cyclocross bike to be on the safe side since your life is worth more than all the training in the world.
Old 05-17-10, 06:30 AM
Argus

Bikes: Dimondback Outback DX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Azreal911
I read the article and what I don't get is why would you even bike on the highway?? to me that's suicidal when the average car speed is 100km/h (90km/h posted).
In Toronto bicycles are prohibitied on all 400 series highways and that's only 10km/h more in speed limit postings. All you need is one inattentive driver and that's it. The country road beside it is much safer with much less cars so they can concentrate on seeing cyclists more instead of other cars zooming with you, even though the road is gravel I'd rather switch to a cyclocross bike to be on the safe side since your life is worth more than all the training in the world.
I think Ontario is the only province with a prohibition on cycling on the highway. When I was younger back in NS we would routinly ride on the highway as it had a nice wide shoulder and went more a less directly where you want to get to. And in truly doesn't matter where you ride one inattentive drive will be all it take's anyway.
Old 05-17-10, 10:17 AM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It is a 4 lane Highway, that passes right through the middle of several small towns, not a divided limited access highway. Most of the way it has a paved shoulder suitable for bikes, but not at the point where this happened. I only have problems with aggressive drivers in Quebec when I am driving a car. When on my bike I always get consideration. God help us from inattentive drivers.
Old 05-17-10, 12:22 PM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
I've never been honked at.
I've been honked at least six times in the last five days, and Friday night two guys brushed me on purpose (while honking).

One time I was honked and cursed at by a car six lanes over going the other direction.

Are you sure you live in Toronto?
Old 06-06-10, 08:22 AM
RHoude

Bikes: Cannondale Adventure 400 + Gazelle Medeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Argus
I think Ontario is the only province with a prohibition on cycling on the highway. When I was younger back in NS we would routinly ride on the highway as it had a nice wide shoulder and went more a less directly where you want to get to. And in truly doesn't matter where you ride one inattentive drive will be all it take's anyway.
It is forbidden to bike on all major highways in Quebec (i.e. 10, 15, 20, 40, 55, etc.). This accident happened on a main regional thoroughfare (route 112). Some sections of regional routes can be forbidden to pedestrian and cycling traffic. For example, Route 112 is that way in St-Hubert and Longueuil, were it becomes a 6-lane divided highway.

Cheers,
Ron
Cycling Vacation the Bike & Boat Way