Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any 2014 N+1 plans?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any 2014 N+1 plans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-13, 08:23 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Mostly in the Temecula to Palm Springs area including Idyllwild . But I have been a roadie for the last five years. So Hurkey Creek. Pachia Trails, Simpson Park and the Goat Trails in Palm springs will be my stomping grounds I think.

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-tra...key-creek.html

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-tra...hea-trail.html

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-tra...pson-park.html

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-tra...at-trails.html
Never been to any of those places. I guess you live quite a bit south of me. I addition to wanting a new road bike (sort of) I also think about getting a new mtb. Never satisfied, am I.
Old 12-24-13, 11:52 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Never been to any of those places. I guess you live quite a bit south of me. I addition to wanting a new road bike (sort of) I also think about getting a new mtb. Never satisfied, am I.
I understand the never satisfied part, why else have a formula called N+1?
Old 12-24-13, 01:36 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Plans for my next N+1 have been nudged off the back burner by beginning to acquire components. In keeping with my image as the old crackpot down the street that rides all those weird bikes, it will be a decidedly unconventional build.
Hope to get the build under way in time to have something rideable by spring.
Not letting more out of the bag for now. I'll post when it starts taking shape.
Old 12-24-13, 02:24 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 610 Posts
I have 3 projects stashed away that I hope to add to the fleet next year. I have to introduce them gradually however, the wife has begun to question my "need" for the 4 I already have. I have all the pieces for No. 1, 90% of the parts for No. 2 and No. 3 is awaiting a final "plan" but is pretty much complete it just needs a new paint job, some normal wear items replaced, re-assembled and some TLC. No. 1 and No. 2 both have NOS frames.
Old 12-24-13, 04:31 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I got this KHS 5 years ago. It's a little heavy but rides fine.
Originally Posted by velonomad
I bought lugs and a tube set last month to build the frame. I have used a Girvin flex stem and a sprung Brooks saddle as a suspension for the past two decades, I see no reason to change now.
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I do; however, have my 45 speed cruiser that I've been meaning to put back on the road.
Originally Posted by bikemig
I plan on finishing up a drop bar mtb conversion and riding the heck out of it.
Yup, this is definitely a place where I belong. I got cut off before being able to quote the guy who likes to build weird bikes.
Old 12-24-13, 04:46 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'm considering the Velo Orange Camargue frame to replace my Origin8 CX700. Both bikes are Monstercross bikes capable of off-road touring. The Velo Orange Camargue accepts a 2.1" (55mm) tires fit with fenders, 2.3" (60mm) without fenders. The CX700 takes a 1.75" (47mm) tires fit with fenders, 1.9" (55mm) without. The Velo Orange Camargue also fits a wide range of racks, the CX700 does not.

Here are the main points:https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2013...e-is-here.html

2.1" (55mm) tires fit with fenders, 2.3" (60mm) without.
700c wheels on sizes 62, 59, 56 and 26" wheels on 53, 50, 47.
Geometry is designed to handle like the much-praised Campeur. This frame is not suspension corrected, allowing us to better fine tune handling.
Super beefy horizontal dropouts (so you can use internal gear hubs).
Threadless 1-1/8" fork.
All the braze-on bits that come on the Campeur: three bottle cages, threaded fender mounts, rear brake adjuster, thru-fork low-rider mounts, double eyelets front and rear, etc.
Sage green color based on my original custom Pass Hunter. This color was originally inspired by an ancient type of Japanese plaster.
4130 cro-mo double butted tubing.
Extra wide bi-plane fork crown with extra clearance (guaranteed to plane).
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-24-13, 06:11 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I am planning to get a AWOL Comp frame set as soon as they become available, hopefully in a month or less. This is Specialized's new adventure touring/gravel bike. Initially I plan to build it up on the cheap by repurposing parts from other bikes.
Old 12-24-13, 06:41 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
We're aiming later in the year to travel to Vancouver to see Machka's folks. Part of the plan is to drop down into Oregon and pick up a pair of Bike Friday New World Tourists. The lesson was learned from our travels last year that a fold-down bike would make things somewhat easier.

I am also planning on adding a pair of beach-specific bikes built up from used bits and pieces with MTB frames and fat tyres. I am toying with making them home-built extracycles, so the longer wheelbase improves ride and more-evenly distributes weight between front and rear wheels. We have quite a few beaches that are worth riding along at the water's edge, with maybe a stop to camp along the way. I'll probably end up with IGHs and some sort of chain guard, and a stainless chain on each to help reduce corrosion issues.

I am also keen on getting hold of some high-wheel recumbents, and we will be going to the Pennyfarthing Championships in Evandale, Tasmania, in February, and who knows what we might pick up there.

Plus, half our fleet is in storage in another state, and I am looking forward to reacquainting ourselves with the tandem and MTBs and especially my fixed gear. Hopefully, that will be by the end of February.

So effectively, 2014 may well be N+10. At least!
Old 12-24-13, 07:16 PM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am thinking semi-seriously about a Kona Jake the Snake 'cross bike: https://www.konaworld.com/jake_the_snake.cfm

I would use it on packed trails and in light snow or rain on the road.
Old 12-25-13, 05:39 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Rowan
I am also keen on getting hold of some high-wheel recumbents, and we will be going to the Pennyfarthing Championships in Evandale, Tasmania, in February, and who knows what we might pick up there.
High-wheel recumbents?
Old 12-25-13, 06:45 AM
yodatic

Bikes: N+1=20013 Green mongoose Beast, '74 Raleigh International, '58 Raleigh Dawn Tourist, Univega Alpine Sport, Univega Ladies MTB- Wife's, Townie 7D -Wife's, and a pile-o-spare British 'junque'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Mongoose Beast arrived yesterday, I am already thinking about how it would work with an old-school chrome springer front end . tom
Old 12-25-13, 10:00 AM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
This is the year to satisfy the lust and order a Brompton. To make this easier to justify the Raleigh Pro is going to have to become N-1 but I just can't ride it comfortably anymore so I guess thats ok.
Old 12-25-13, 07:43 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Between this n+1 and the next one I need to pony up for a new built in stove for the wife. No new stove and it could be n+0 for a very long time.
Old 12-26-13, 07:47 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have posted in another thread that I am considering n-?, got to divest myself of bikes I don't use. I know that goes against all reason but I have a serious storage problem.
Old 12-26-13, 09:10 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by a77impala
I have posted in another thread that I am considering n-?, got to divest myself of bikes I don't use. I know that goes against all reason but I have a serious storage problem.
Now see - aren't you glad that you live in the good old USA where you have the freedom to do things like that? In some other countries you might be burned at the stake for such heresy. I'm kind of puzzled at how you could possibly have a space problem in Western South Dakota.
Old 12-26-13, 09:17 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
We'll see if that's true! I'll correct the assembly errors and maybe put a real brake on it if whatever facsimile it has is inadequate ... which reminds me, I probably don't have the tools to remove the freewheel, that's something to research and purchase ahead of time.
Also plan on replacing the wheels, or at least the rims. And as you said the brake, its less than useless. The frame is gas pipe, so expect it to be a bit weighty. Serious, don't waste a penny on this.
Old 12-26-13, 12:51 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Also plan on replacing the wheels, or at least the rims. And as you said the brake, its less than useless. The frame is gas pipe, so expect it to be a bit weighty. Serious, don't waste a penny on this.
I'm just joining in with the n+1 thread, with the bike I'm hoping to buy. Not asking for comments about how crappy it is.
Old 12-26-13, 02:02 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I'm just joining in with the n+1 thread, with the bike I'm hoping to buy. Not asking for comments about how crappy it is.
If you think that you can fill a void in your life for a hundred dollars or so, why wouldn't anybody do it? If everything on your bucket list makes logical sense you're probably a boreing person.
Old 12-26-13, 03:00 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
If you think that you can fill a void in your life for a hundred dollars or so, why wouldn't anybody do it? If everything on your bucket list makes logical sense you're probably a boreing person.
Oh my goodness
Old 12-26-13, 06:17 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Well that didn't take long. I haven't ridden a drop handle bike in over 30 years preferring hybrids. But the bug bit me and I just bought a 2011 Giant TCR Composite off ebay a few minutes ago. At least at the price I don't think I can go too wrong with it. Only time will tell. Here's the link and I'll post again when it shows up and I have a few minutes to clean it up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/370972392026...84.m1439.l2649
Old 12-27-13, 04:22 PM
Rowan

High-wheel recumbents?
700C wheeks front and rear,
Old 12-27-13, 04:27 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Rowan
700C wheeks front and rear,
How tall are you? I thought that I wanted one of those until I figured out that I'd never be able to get it launched.
Old 12-27-13, 06:18 PM
Rowan

How tall are you? I thought that I wanted one of those until I figured out that I'd never be able to get it launched.
I'm 5'11". Our friend, Claire, in Paris, has one and she's 5'8", and has no trouble at all -- she rode PBP1200 on one (and regarded it as her most comfortable PBP out of the three she has done).

The seat does dip down in front of the rear wheel on the one I am thinking of buying and keeping it balanced, then taking off don't appear to be an issue.

I suppose the correct title to it is "high racer" although if you aren't using it for racing it's just high-wheeler to me.

This is the page of the Performer bikes that I am interested in (the same company as TWBents):

https://www.performer.com.tw/new/inde...Path=163_85_97
Old 12-28-13, 05:36 PM
Sweetpete

Bikes: 2010 cannodale rz140 2012 Ritchey Swiss Cross 2013 Cannondale F 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Already got it but haven't ride not yet. 2013 Cannondale F 29er for my retirement present. Picked it up Dec 26th,
Old 12-28-13, 05:44 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I'd like a Surly Cross Check, but wife's getting a new kitchen instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.