Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you(would you) ride a bike to a dinner evening party?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do you(would you) ride a bike to a dinner evening party?

Old 09-30-20, 06:51 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I'd use whatever transportation was easiest and most convenient. If it was near work, I'd cycle. I ride an upright, German bike so I use it and my car interchangeably.
Old 09-30-20, 08:05 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
I'ld worry about the fires, but that is up north. Maybe they'll be out by then
More worried about drunks from behind. It's getting crazy out there.
Otherwise Do It
Old 10-01-20, 06:20 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Ride a bicycle 8 miles home after attending a Christmas party after 10pm?

No

During that time of year at that time of night too many people are driving after drinking alcohol or using drugs. It isn't worth the risk, to me.
Pretty much why I don't ride my bike on Friday or Saturday nights around here. The crazies are letting loose and their gas pedal feet are heavy.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 10-03-20, 11:12 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've done some weird things on bike. I'm a quirky person. I rode to a concert that I performed in, wearing my full tuxedo. I got some laughs from pedestrians, and that was part of the fun.
In some cities, riding in suit is considered "normal" - like walking.
Suppose it depends on the country, and the city/town.

I'd go by a bicycle, unless it's hours of riding away.
Old 10-04-20, 01:14 PM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
"Looking for attention"
I hate this. From having heard it both about other people, and about myself, both behind my back and to my face, I know that this is a thing many (more than half?) people think of anyone who does something other than the norm.

Someday, if/when it’s fiscally feasible for me to, I’d really like to own some high end sports cars. But- being a person unable to have less than 1.02oz of concern about other people being judgemental about it, I’d have to have near-silent exhaust & intake and limo-black privacy tinted windows to be able to enjoy my well-engineered driving machines in earnest.

Same goes for biking to social events. Knowing that there’s going to be a heck of a lot of “he must think he’s so [...]” going on makes earnest enjoyment of cycling, even in a utilitarian way, a real challenge.

——————

There’s a very beautiful woman in her 30s who lives in a town on the other side of the county who usually dresses in some Disney faery tale inspired outfits most days of the year. At least once every two weeks when I was working near where she worked, I’d see her actually wearing wings while walking down the sidewalk to get pizza.

Regardless of what is and is not on the list of her actual motives- if she can do this, there’s really no good reason for us to not choose to bike in lieu of carring someplace less than an hour’s ride away.

I do really wish that Pearl Izumi would do a set of AmFib overalls to wear over a civilian outfit and zip in & out of right quick to make the whole thing less of a hassle in the chillier months.
Old 10-04-20, 02:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Attention is a reasonable thing to want.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-05-20, 02:51 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM
Same goes for biking to social events. Knowing that there’s going to be a heck of a lot of “he must think he’s so [...]” going on makes earnest enjoyment of cycling, even in a utilitarian way, a real challenge.
In my city, this has changed over the years. At first (from what I remember), arriving on a bicycle was looked down on - you must be poor, are you not ashamed of riding a bike... and similar.
Then came the hipsters, and it was a bit of a fashion/lifestyle statement. Some liked it, some thought it's a bit over the top.
Today - it's becoming more of a norm - similar to how it is in Holland (from what I can see and hear over them internetssess).

I just love cycling, and find it to be the most convenient way to get around where I live, so don't really care if others think it's great, or bad.
And I've seen it influence more than one friend and colleague to start cycling to wherever they need to go (leading by example, being the change you wish to see and that stuff ).
Old 10-05-20, 05:10 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
hence the op's question. can't think of another part of the world more auto-infatuated/dependent than socal but there you are,
the area the op is thinking about cycling is frequently travelled by cyclists and is relatively low-trafficked by automobiles during said shindig commuting times.
it ain't copenhagen flat bike pathing but it's totally doable with proper lighting onboard, ability and experience.
Old 10-15-20, 05:35 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
If I am going by myself, I'd ride. If my wife is joining me, we'd drive.

"Looking for attention" is not an issue. I would stash the bike out of the way where no one would see it, with helmet and ankle bands and whatever cycling gear I'm wearing, By the time I get to the front door, no one would know I'd come by bike. Those who know me, of course, will assume I came by bike. But it won't get me any attention.
Old 10-15-20, 02:31 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
This Christmas we'll have a party that I typically drive to. It's about 8 miles through a mountainy road to my boss's house. Dinner will let out at around 10 PM. There will be wine and beer. I could theoretically bring a backpack with clothes and a wipe. But I think it'll be seen as a move that yells, "Looking for attention," which I don't think I am doing. Any excuse to bike though...
I always plan my wardrobe and transportation 90 days in advance.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-18-20, 01:25 PM
wolfchistian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I really enjoy going by bike, but on a such occasion, I would choose riding a car or a taxi
Old 11-05-20, 03:56 AM
mamaliguta

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't like to ride a bike if I know that I will eat or drink. I consider that as any kind of sport, it must be practiced over an hour after the meals. Last year our company organized a charity bike race. We hired sound and lighting equipment on ontourevents.co.uk and called for the help of a catering company that helped us to treat guests and participants. But honestly, after a difficult day, and good meals I was powerless and didn't ride a bike. I just parked it in the parking lot and called up the taxi. I can't imagine how to drive in this state.

Last edited by mamaliguta; 11-11-20 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-10-20, 10:47 AM
Aristophon
Back to cycling

Bikes: (Near Department Store type) Aluminum frame 7 speed "Ride in the Park" hybrid from SixThreeZero

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attention getting on the cheap :)

Originally Posted by RashidD
Probably not. As you said, it could be seen as an attention grab.
There was a certain rear admiral at the Charleston Naval Base during the mid 1970's who set an example I try to emulate. He drove a 20+
year old car from which most of the paint was missing to *every* official function he took part in. It was an incredibly awful looking vehicle.

From then on, I rode my ten speed bicycle every time I went to the officer's club.
If I still had any money to belong to the local country club, then biking it would be to go there.
Old 11-10-20, 02:05 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
"at my Boss' house." full stop. no.