Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Electronic Shifting - What's the Point?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Electronic Shifting - What's the Point?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-20, 10:57 AM
RadDog
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
and the 996 GT2 may be the most undriveable modern Porsche. Ton of power, with turbo lag, and no nannies is not a good thing.
Especially given the fact that I swapped out the small stock turbos for some big GT30's. They call the car "The Widowmaker" for a reason. I would hit 140 on the big straight at Texas World Speedway but the turbos hit way too hard for most tracks. At 190 mph with the rear engine the front end became very flighty. In stock form the GT2 made a little under 400 rwhp. Mine made double that, all on stock internals. That is because the Metzger motor was a racing engine mass produced for the public.

There is a reason the car retailed for more than $200k. I dumped another $40k in upgrades. Car was special.
Old 11-08-20, 04:46 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog
Especially given the fact that I swapped out the small stock turbos for some big GT30's. They call the car "The Widowmaker" for a reason. I would hit 140 on the big straight at Texas World Speedway but the turbos hit way too hard for most tracks. At 190 mph with the rear engine the front end became very flighty. In stock form the GT2 made a little under 400 rwhp. Mine made double that, all on stock internals. That is because the Metzger motor was a racing engine mass produced for the public.

There is a reason the car retailed for more than $200k. I dumped another $40k in upgrades. Car was special.
I'm sure there's a car forum you can talk about your car.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-08-20, 05:06 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
The "He said/She said" defense?

You know this is sweet, for no other reason than, "it's possible".

It's not possible though. It was a rendering from a bike geek (who is very good at what he does). If it was real and I could purchase one, I'd so much have one. I think it is great!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dOJ4W1

Originally Posted by artist
A weird blend of concentric unicycle Kris Holm hub and Rohloff speed hub with what would be huge bearings. Is this even possible ? I don't know. The Effigear cranks are borrowed from my previous bikes, and shortened[

As for electronic shifting, I think it has its place - particularly on road bikes and e-bikes. I personally would like hydraulic shifters for my use and bike.
Old 11-08-20, 07:09 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts

Also a reason you can buy one now for 60k, while other Porsche GT cars are dramatically appreciating. Thought briefly of buying one because as Porsche GT cars go it’s a bargain, but my mechanic, with Porsche racing experience warned me off, and the literature confirmed his opinion.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 11-09-20, 03:32 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Also a reason you can buy one now for 60k, while other Porsche GT cars are dramatically appreciating. Thought briefly of buying one because as Porsche GT cars go it’s a bargain, but my mechanic, with Porsche racing experience warned me off, and the literature confirmed his opinion.
You need a new mechanic. Yes, the 993's are a fortune, but primarily because so few were made. The 996 GT2 was a very special car. No nannies, just a pure drivers car. The Metzger motor was one of the greatest engines ever made. It is the product of racing. They then took the racing motor and mass produced it. My car, a little 6 banger, made 800 rwhp on stock internals. That is more than 200 hp per liter. And I beat the piss out of it. Tracked it many times, ran a low 10 second quarter and trapped 137, and of course money raced it.

That motor continued to run strong, and even today is still running great.
Old 11-09-20, 03:37 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Porsche cars.
Do we need a Doppelkuppling on our bicycles soon?

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-09-20 at 06:16 PM.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-09-20, 06:22 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by CargoDane
Porsche cars.
Do we need a Doppelkuppling on a bicycles soon?
You would not have to back off the wattage while shifting, you could just power/grind right through with no loss in speed or momentum. It would give you a massive advantage.

For people unfamiliar with the technology, Doppelkuppling (PDK) functions with dual clutches. While one clutch disengages, the other one engages. With a car traditional clutches require you to back off the gas while disengaging from one gear and re-engaging with the next gear. The car looses a tremendous amount of power (temporarily) and momentum. The PDK does not. That is why cars with 500 hp and PDK actually accelerate faster than a traditional 6 speed clutch on a 600 hp car.

Lets apply this to bikes: You have to back off your peddle force every time you shift. Imagine not having to do so, instead powering through your peddle stroke with 100% force while simultaneously changing gears.

Now THAT would be pretty freakin' cool.
Likes For RadDog:
Old 11-09-20, 06:23 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

You would not have to back off the wattage while shifting, you could just power/grind right through with no loss in speed or momentum. It would give you a massive advantage.

For people unfamiliar with the technology, Doppelkuppling (PDK) functions with dual clutches. While one clutch disengages, the other one engages. With a car traditional clutches require you to back off the gas while disengaging from one gear and re-engaging with the next gear. The car looses a tremendous amount of power (temporarily) and momentum. The PDK does not. That is why cars with 500 hp and PDK actually accelerate faster than a traditional 6 speed clutch on a 600 hp car.

Lets apply this to bikes: You have to back off your peddle force every time you shift. Imagine not having to do so, instead powering through your peddle stroke with 100% force while simultaneously changing gears.

Rohloff people: Get it done!

Edit: I can't imagine how it would work with chain and derailleurs - two chains and two cassettes/chain rings or something - one on each side?

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-09-20 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 06:32 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts

You can already do that.
Old 11-09-20, 06:44 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You can already do that.
Without breaking something? Which "transmission" (yeah, let's call it that, ha, ha) does that?

My Rohloff doesn't - although it only takes very little letting up to change gears. It's still not something I want to do while putting out max. Can you do that with a modern derailleur bike without fear of breaking something?

I am genuinely asking - not trying to start something.
Old 11-09-20, 09:25 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by CargoDane
Without breaking something? Which "transmission" (yeah, let's call it that, ha, ha) does that?

My Rohloff doesn't - although it only takes very little letting up to change gears. It's still not something I want to do while putting out max. Can you do that with a modern derailleur bike without fear of breaking something?

I am genuinely asking - not trying to start something.
That would be HUGE.
Old 11-10-20, 08:53 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
You need a new mechanic. Yes, the 993's are a fortune, but primarily because so few were made. The 996 GT2 was a very special car. No nannies, just a pure drivers car. The Metzger motor was one of the greatest engines ever made. It is the product of racing. They then took the racing motor and mass produced it. My car, a little 6 banger, made 800 rwhp on stock internals. That is more than 200 hp per liter. And I beat the piss out of it. Tracked it many times, ran a low 10 second quarter and trapped 137, and of course money raced it.

That motor continued to run strong, and even today is still running great.
Pretty roundly accepted to be the worst GT car Porsche ever built. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/u...orsche-911-gts

And FWIW, my mechanic, tuner, has a long successful history racing Porsches.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 11-11-20, 12:21 PM
tomato coupe

Anyone missing a sock?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-11-20, 12:29 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Anyone missing a sock?
Hmmm the person that they cite as being correct was recently permanently banned for insults and their user name contains said banned user's initials... gimme a minute here while I struggle to put the pieces together.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-11-20, 05:13 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

I’m a dyed-in-the-wool manual driver, but a day spent with a dual-clutch transmission (rental Hyundai Veloster) had me seriously considering shifting (sorry!) to the dark side - shifting, auto or by paddle, was unreal. The momentum lost as the motor is disconnected from the drivetrain during gear change - either auto or manual - is circumvented by having the “next” gear tee’d up and ready to engage instantaneously.
However, not sure about having to ease off when shifting on the bike. I do this under a few specific circumstances, namely dropping from large to small chainring (if the chain is under too much tension, it can defeat the relatively weedy spring of the FD), and when shifting to a larger sprocket when climbing out of the saddle (I unweight the pedals momentarily by leaning forward onto the bars just as the chain shifts). Otherwise, I’m not aware of any easing off when shifting either up or down.

Last edited by Litespud; 11-11-20 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-11-20, 06:20 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Hmmm the person that they cite as being correct was recently permanently banned for insults and their user name contains said banned user's initials... gimme a minute here while I struggle to put the pieces together.
Not the sharpest sock in the drawer.
Likes For tomato coupe: