Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The ultimate 27" tire reference thread!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The ultimate 27" tire reference thread!

Old 07-24-12, 11:44 AM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 55 Traveler
I've sworn off the cheap Kenda's as the last few that I've bought have been out of round. My last project got Panaracers which are very fine, but I would like to find something with a racier (slick) tread.

David
Just curious, were these gumwalls or skinwalls? I've had good luck and a lot of miles on their gumwall K35s, but they also have a skinwall version that I ordered by accident once. They gave me the most trouble of any tire ever trying to get the bead seated, so it seemed like they were out of round since parts were below the rim lip. I had to really soap them up and then over-fill them to get them to pop out to seat correctly, but then if I didn't ride them for a while and the air pressure went down they would unseat again. Not sure if it was the rims I was using them on, but they weren't worth the hassle.

I've updated the first post with more tires and notes from everybody's comments.
Old 07-24-12, 01:16 PM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Jenson, among others, sells a Michelin World Tour in 27 x 1 1/4. I've no experience with them.

https://www.jensonusa.com/!BXPOj7pBUV...medium=organic

I've noticed a set of Michelin World Tours running rather large in comparison to other 27 x 1 1/4 tires. I ran into clearance issues on an older Schwinn with fenders (Suburban, maybe?).

I like the Continental Ultra Sports and very much like the Panaracer Paselas.
Old 07-24-12, 01:47 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Thanks MainStreetExile! This thread will be a most useful resource! There is a Sunlite Whitewall (rebranded CST) at Niagara Cycle that I buy by the truckload because they look sharp and are inexpensive, about $8.50 each.
I'm just curious as to what made you think that those sunlite whitwalls were made by Cheng Shin?

They look more like the sub-Kenda cheapie level in the picture that I can see.

Also, with Niagara, shipping is an extra $5 per tire, no matter how many you are buying at once.

For 27" tires, I'm a big fan of the Cheng Shin gumwalls in the 1-1/4" width.

Another 27" Cheng tire, the 1-1/8" C-732 model is very much lighter with only a very thin layer of rubber on each side. Actually a fairly fast tire, with actual width about 26mm.
Old 07-24-12, 01:50 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12634 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Also, with Niagara, shipping is an extra $5 per tire, no matter how many you are buying at once.
You might try calling. It's really difficult with some shopping carts to accurately reflect cost of shipping for multiple items.
Old 07-24-12, 02:05 PM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
FWIW, for the last Niagara order I placed, I compared and shipping was much cheaper when I bought from them via amazon vs directly from their website.
Old 07-24-12, 02:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
If I needed a heavy duty tire, that World Tour might fit the bill.

I've had a few too many defective Cheng Shin tires. Out of round is a b*tch. Yes, they ride well, and the prices are hard to resist. But I'm resisting.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-24-12, 03:45 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mainstreetexile
FWIW, for the last Niagara order I placed, I compared and shipping was much cheaper when I bought from them via amazon vs directly from their website.
+1 I have found that to be the case too. I also order a lot of stuff from treefortbikes. They offer free shipping at $125 and price matching. It works very well for me.
Old 07-24-12, 04:25 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
If I needed a heavy duty tire, that World Tour might fit the bill.

I've had a few too many defective Cheng Shin tires. Out of round is a b*tch. Yes, they ride well, and the prices are hard to resist. But I'm resisting.

Hmmmm, I recommended the Cheng's because they seem to have far FEWER problems than the other sub-$15 tires I've tried, and I've bought a lot of them.

I would bet that the Sunlite-branded tires are lumpy as soon as they're mounted, and with a very uneven line between the black and white areas.
Again, these are the problems (with these cheap tires) that lead me to prefer Cheng Shin above many others.

A lot of the cheap OEM-level tires, as from Specialized, cost a couple dollars more than the aftermarket Cheng's, but seem to have more problems (even though they are also made by Cheng Shin) than the cheaper Cheng's that I buy aftermarket.

My only gripe about the c-732 (the lighter Cheng tire) is that they don't resist punctures well, but I could say the same thing about entry-level Conti's (but not the Vittorias which seem to have a thicker/stiffer tread cap).
Old 07-24-12, 05:09 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I don't buy cheap ass tires because I don't own cheap ass bikes. They deserve better.

Bargain priced good tires are a different story. Panaracer Paselas are good tires at a bargain price when they're on sale, but I'm willing to try something else if they're good. Any suggestions?
Old 07-30-12, 03:14 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
I'm just curious as to what made you think that those sunlite whitwalls were made by Cheng Shin?

They look more like the sub-Kenda cheapie level in the picture that I can see.

You're absolutely right, it is a Kenda I stand corrected. On Mixtes, they look great!

As for shipping, I usually end up buying several tires and other consumables where the order averages $250, which makes the $20 shipping cost reasonable.
Old 07-30-12, 05:33 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 343 Posts
My $.02:
Kenda K-35--sometimes called Kenda Street tires, I think--are cheap and work pretty well. I've used a bunch of them, but the sidewalls tend to crack after a fairly short time.
Michelin World Tours--As someone else has noted, these are really wide. I put a pair of them on my Dawes in place of the Kendas that had fit comfortably, and they almost rubbed the chainstays--only a mm or so of clearance on each side. No good on that particular frame.
Schwalbe HS159--I just put a set on my Raleigh Sprite yesterday. The wheels have Mavic G40 rims, and I had a REALLY hard time getting one of the tires seated. It kept wanting to creep off the rim as I inflated it--I burst one tube and almost had the same thing happen again before I finally got it on properly. Not a rim problem, as far as I know--I'd never had problems with other tires on that rim. Now that it's on and fully inflated it seems fine. The other tire--the front--went right on with no problem. Go figure.
Panaracer Paselas--all in all, I think this are the best, most reliable 27s out there. If I weren't congenitally cheap, I'd never buy anything else.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 07-30-12, 07:54 AM
55 Traveler

Bikes: Schwinn: Twinn Sport, Super Sport and Suburban. Raleigh Grand Prix, Competition, and Super Course, plus New Clubman.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious, were these gumwalls or skinwalls? I've had good luck and a lot of miles on their gumwall K35s, but they also have a skinwall version that I ordered by accident once. They gave me the most trouble of any tire ever trying to get the bead seated, so it seemed like they were out of round since parts were below the rim lip. I had to really soap them up and then over-fill them to get them to pop out to seat correctly, but then if I didn't ride them for a while and the air pressure went down they would unseat again. Not sure if it was the rims I was using them on, but they weren't worth the hassle.
These were the standard gum wall Kenda that you see at Canadian Tire or other mass retailers, with the fairly fat side wall. I also had trouble seating mine and once seated they still weren't round. You could see that the gum wall span was a little lop sided.

David
Old 11-06-12, 05:50 AM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Hello, my first post to this forum. i picked up a 1972 motobecane mixte nomade for my daughter for $40 and bought some cheap $9 kendas but the front tire started bulging. i estimate i had only about 80psi in it (max rating on sidewall says 90) and she only rode it in front of the house. so i've been searching for better quality tires to replace both kendas. this thread is very helpful.

i liked the idea of the schwalbe HS159 in the white wall ($18) even though they seem heavy by the numbers but it appears they do not work well on hookless rims and i think the circa 80s aluminum arayas i grabbed from storage and am using on the moto are hookless. looks like i might turn to the standard paselas. again, thanks for this thread. getting this bike ride-worthy for my 12-year old has been a bit energizing for me, one who once used to ride everywhere on my old bianchi back in the 80s. how time flies...

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 11-06-12, 06:26 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
Eric,

Welcome to C&V. Glad you joined.

The old style hookless rims usually only let you get to about 70 psi or so. The variables do depend on the tire and the rim. Generally the cheaper stiff tires with a wire bead work the best, but those can also be a little "big" in the inside diameter, and thus slip off the rim easier. Try mounting the front tire on the back rim and see if it still comes off. If it does, take it back and ask for another Kenda. Best of luck.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 11-06-12, 06:51 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
In the FWIW dept. I just bought another vintage bike and the original 700c sew up rims had been switched out to 27's. The shop I bought the bike from put some Pasela Tour guards on it. Nice, but at 1 1/4, there was VERY little clearance. Almost none.
So, trying to keep the wheels I opted for Pasela 27 by 1 inch tires. Nice. Kind of low profile and narrow, looking much more like a "fat" tubular. Looks much better on a "racing bike" than the fatter tires, IMO.
Old 11-06-12, 08:07 AM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
I am using the Vittorio's. I got them on sale for $12 each from Westernbikeworks.com and so far am happy with them.
Old 11-22-12, 04:20 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Try mounting the front tire on the back rim and see if it still comes off. If it does, take it back and ask for another Kenda. Best of luck.
pastor bob, actually, the tire did not come off. the sidewall was bulging in 2-3 places over about a 5 inch length. the bead looked seated.

i'm considering panaracer paselas now.

eric
fresno, ca. (glad to be here)

Last edited by ericzamora; 11-26-12 at 03:37 AM.
Old 11-22-12, 05:49 PM
Vefer

Bikes: Trek 4300, '84 Trek 400,'88 Trek, 85 Trek 720 560, 82 Motobecane Randonee, 75 Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn Sierra, '84 Trek 890, 2001 Trek 5200 OCLV USPS, 99 Trek Y Foil

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Excellent! And thanks for posting the cross tires too. There are also these Serfas in 27X1 1/4, I have them on 2 bikes, an armored slick
[h=1]Serfas Seca Road Utility Tire - 27 x 1-1/4[/h]
they have them at REI stores and Amazon and other online stores too.
Old 11-22-12, 05:52 PM
Vefer

Bikes: Trek 4300, '84 Trek 400,'88 Trek, 85 Trek 720 560, 82 Motobecane Randonee, 75 Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn Sierra, '84 Trek 890, 2001 Trek 5200 OCLV USPS, 99 Trek Y Foil

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I have a set of these Vittorio in the 1 1/8 size and they still have all the molding line/whiskers on them after 450 miles. And they are more than grippy enough, I have vever had them slide out.
Old 11-22-12, 08:47 PM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've updated the first post with more tires and notes from everybody's comments.
The 27s are bad enough, but getting a K35 mounted on an EA-3 is about an hour-long job, involving talc, soap, dire imprecations, salty language, sobbing in despair, solvent intoxication, white roosters, and the entrails of a goat or two
Old 11-22-12, 09:28 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Jenson USA has Vittori Zaffiro 27 x 1 1/8 tires for $10.50. Free shipping on orders over $50

https://www.jensonusa.com/Vittoria-Zaffiro-Tire-1
Old 11-22-12, 10:10 PM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 147 Posts
I bet somebody wishes these were still made. Yes it's a crying shame

Old 09-03-13, 10:40 AM
ehasbrouck

Bikes: 1980 Avatar 2000 (LWB/USS recumbent), 1982 Infinity (aluminium LWB/USS recumbent), c. 1984 Maruishi Tour Ace TA18, 1986 Miyata 912, 1989 Miyata 312, 1982 Bridgestone Regulus, 2015 Rodriguez UTB, c. 2002 Birdy folding (Sach 3x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably the most widely available 27" tire in the USA is the cheap Bell branded 27" x 1 1/4" kevlar-belted blackwall tire sold by Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Sport...-Tire/15188809

Every Walmart I have been in stocks these. You can find these or similar cheap 27" tires at hardware stores, general stores, etc.

As long as Walmart continues to stock 27" tires and matching shrader-valve tubes, there are large areas of the country where the most readily available tires are 27", not 700C. If you are touring, it's a lot easier to find a Walmart than a bike shop.

Not all Walmarts stock any 700C tires or any narrow presta-valve tubes. Most of their tire and tube stock is wide 26" tires and matching shrader tubes for cheap mountain bikes.

I can't find them in their online catalog, but I believe Canadian Tire (a ubiquitous and uniquely Canadian store that sells both automotive and sporting gear) stocks some similar 27" tires.
Old 09-03-13, 06:20 PM
AAZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably costs too much, but I've found the Specialized All Condition Armadillo (27" x 1.25") to be very good.
Old 09-03-13, 08:16 PM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AAZ
Probably costs too much, but I've found the Specialized All Condition Armadillo (27" x 1.25") to be very good.
I've got these on my touring bike and love how they ride. They are 4-5 years old at least, does anyone know if they still make them?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.