Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Would you ride a women's bike?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Would you ride a women's bike?

Old 12-22-14, 11:27 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have bought and sold many step through bikes, I am 5' 9 have rode hundreds of ladies bikes, I have yet to ride one I dont feel cramped on. Has nothing to do with ego, they are basically made for smaller people. If you look at ones from the 50's the pedals are small like childs pedals. A man needs to be on a mans bike.
Old 12-22-14, 11:48 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Everyone gets to ride Kathy Ireland.

This bike will never be for sale. Long standing joke, but is what I consider the community loaner. Grand-daughters love it. Its never been locked up, left outside most of the year even when were out of town. Almost too funny as its been gone a few times and returned all nice and clean. US made, lifetime frame warranty.... huh? Dig the 'rumble' seat, stylish bar cover complete with compass. Look out V.O.!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7043sm.jpg (105.6 KB, 244 views)
IMG_7044sm.jpg (105.5 KB, 242 views)
IMG_7045sm.jpg (103.1 KB, 236 views)
IMG_7046sm.jpg (102.9 KB, 232 views)
IMG_7047sm.jpg (100.6 KB, 227 views)
Old 12-23-14, 09:16 AM
mooncountry

Bikes: '99 Bianchi Volpe, '87 Trek Elance 400D, 80-something? Nishiki Riviera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Velocivixen I don't, and I haven't really done much research since buying her, but I remember not being able to find a ton about the Riviera mixtes except that they were made mid-80s. I do like it a lot, though! What do you have on your bike? I have no idea if what's on mine is original or not, but the guy who sold it to me was a bike mechanic (it had been his ex-girlfriend's) so he would have had the capacity to shuffle things around, I suppose? How'd you pick yours up/how'd you find your information? I also guess I could go back and re-research, now that I know a tad bit more about bikes and could probably more effectively execute a search...
Old 12-23-14, 11:45 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mooncountry
@Velocivixen I don't, and I haven't really done much research since buying her, but I remember not being able to find a ton about the Riviera mixtes except that they were made mid-80s. I do like it a lot, though! What do you have on your bike? I have no idea if what's on mine is original or not, but the guy who sold it to me was a bike mechanic (it had been his ex-girlfriend's) so he would have had the capacity to shuffle things around, I suppose? How'd you pick yours up/how'd you find your information? I also guess I could go back and re-research, now that I know a tad bit more about bikes and could probably more effectively execute a search...
Here is a link to the Nishiki Serial Number Database on the sub forum.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...-database.html

Look for the serial number, typically on the bottom bracket of the bike (easiest to flip bike over to see it), and compare letters/numbers to the database. Also every component has a date code, so if the components are original to the bike it will tell you age of bike. Easiest date codes are on the back side of derailleurs. Look at vintage-trek.com for component date codes by brand.
Dont want to hijack this thread and get too off topic, so you can always start your own thread asking for info. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Velocivixen; 12-23-14 at 01:45 PM. Reason: added link
Old 12-23-14, 01:35 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Rebecca Twigg rode a Sekai 4000 for training so I guess I do ride a woman's bike!
Old 12-28-14, 05:41 PM
mooncountry

Bikes: '99 Bianchi Volpe, '87 Trek Elance 400D, 80-something? Nishiki Riviera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Here is a link to the Nishiki Serial Number Database on the sub forum.

Thanks!!
Old 12-28-14, 06:06 PM
RiseAlways

Bikes: 1970s Peugeot UO-8, 1980 Peugeot PXN10E "Super Competition", 1985-86? Miyata 610, 2012 Trek 3500 Mtn Bike, late 1800s project build/bike (will it ever get finished?..your guess is as good as mine! HA!),etc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I was a woman I would,... but to each his own really.
Old 11-26-20, 08:19 PM
ncyue

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Love my Trek pilot WSD! The geometry is perfect for me. I had a Cannondale racer first and it never felt comfortable.
Old 11-26-20, 08:58 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I'd ask her first.
Old 11-27-20, 05:20 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
"Would I ride a woman's bicycle? My immediate answer would be no. Until I gave it some thought...

First, I find, build and ride vintage road bicycles because I like to find, build and ride vintage road bicycles. With that in mind, I have no interest, what so ever, in riding a woman's bike. However...

I did ride this for a while and wow, what a decent bike to ride. The look appealed to me. And the feel of the bike was unlike any other that I had ever ridden...

So, would I ride a woman's bike? Yes but it's not something that I fantasize about.
Old 11-27-20, 06:15 AM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
I often grab my wife's step through Trek Multitrack to go to the grocery store because it has the basket and it rides really well. What exactly is there to be worried about? That someone might think I was gay because I ride a "woman's bike?" How dumb does that sound? This isn't 1985 anymore, being gay isn't an insult. This whole issue is dated, a bit offensive, and really very silly. It's really just a structural question. Step throughs and diamond frames each have their pros and cons. I prefer diamond frames, but they can really suck to swing your leg over if there's a basket on the back. Step throughs really are more practical for doing errands. Anyway, pretty sure this is just a hang up of ours in the US that people need to get over so we can stop worrying about silly things and enjoy cycling technologies to their full advantage.
Likes For Mogens:
Old 11-27-20, 07:10 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
I would have no trouble riding a step through or a mixte. I have admired the Rivendell Cheviot for a few years. And, now that my wife and I have spent the last two days stripping our hardwood floors and have to seal and finish them today, I can tell that one will be needed in the future. I am so sore that I can barely lift my legs.
Old 11-27-20, 11:34 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,890 Times in 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogens
This isn't 1985 anymore
Or 2014.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 11-28-20, 10:55 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2412 Post(s)
Liked 4,373 Times in 2,086 Posts
Doesn't really matter to me. I tend to collect men's frames only because I like the double triangle/diamond shape.

However, there's a particular subset of bikes that I collect which are exclusively step-through, and have no diamond frame equivalent. Most don't have a top tube either. My favorite are the loop-frame Social Bicycles 3.0's.

-Kurt

Old 11-28-20, 11:43 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,571 Times in 1,758 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
(...)
However, there's a particular subset of bikes that I collect which are exclusively step-through, and have no diamond frame equivalent. Most don't have a top tube either. My favorite are the loop-frame Social Bicycles 3.0's.

-Kurt
Those are not bicycles. Those are Mobility Solutions. They only get to be called bikes on a technicality.

Old 11-28-20, 12:12 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Those are not bicycles. Those are Mobility Solutions. They only get to be called bikes on a technicality.
The 600 recipients of retired Spins would beg to differ with you.

https://twitter.com/bikesharemuseum/...150893058?s=21

and

https://twitter.com/bikesharemuseum/...838708736?s=21

These things are more bicycle so than any Wal-Mart junker can ever hope to be. Almost all of them are IGH 3 or 8 speeds too.

They also make for pretty fun e-bike conversions.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 11-28-20 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-28-20, 12:56 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
After a couple of hip operation limited his movement, in his early 80s, my father finally abandoned his Schwinn LeTour for my mother's pink and white single speed half-ton girly bike for his daily 20 mile run around town. No complaints from him about it.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 11-28-20, 02:30 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

The 600 recipients of retired Spins would beg to differ with you.

https://twitter.com/bikesharemuseum/...150893058?s=21

and

https://twitter.com/bikesharemuseum/...838708736?s=21

These things are more bicycle so than any Wal-Mart junker can ever hope to be. Almost all of them are IGH 3 or 8 speeds too.

They also make for pretty fun e-bike conversions.

-Kurt
Don't get net wrong, Kurt. I applaud what you're doing there, and am genuinely glad those "bikes" don't end up in a landfill and that those kids are happy with them. It's the fact that there are so many of these "retired bikes" in decent condition that they are donated by the truckload which bothers me.

Each "bike" represents an amount of resources take from this planet, and I feel that they should be made into attractive good quality products that people want to take ownership of, and responsibility for. I think concepts like rent-a-bike and our local swapfiets are fundamentally flawed for that reason. There is no pride of ownership involved. They represent a business case. Or not.
/rant.

Old 11-28-20, 05:54 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Don't get net wrong, Kurt. I applaud what you're doing there, and am genuinely glad those "bikes" don't end up in a landfill and that those kids are happy with them. It's the fact that there are so many of these "retired bikes" in decent condition that they are donated by the truckload which bothers me.

Each "bike" represents an amount of resources take from this planet, and I feel that they should be made into attractive good quality products that people want to take ownership of, and responsibility for. I think concepts like rent-a-bike and our local swapfiets are fundamentally flawed for that reason. There is no pride of ownership involved. They represent a business case. Or not.
/rant.
I won't argue with the inherent flaws and waste of the business model - at least for dockless bikes. It doesn't reflect every company though - Spin, for instance, has been using the same fleet of about 300 Ninebot Max scooters locally for the last three years, and whatever doesn't work gets rebuilt with parts from other wrecks.

But I will challenge the claim that these "aren't bicycles," or that their waste is anything unique. A Wal-Mart special is equally problematic in regards to wasted resources, and easier for people to give up on - if not more so. @randyjawa's dumpster dives are a pretty good example of how the $79.99 specials get thrown away quick.

Any Huffy and Roadmaster rotting on the side of someone's house is part of the exact same problem. They're built in equal or greater quantity than dockless bikes, have lousy front derailers that don't work, steel chains that will rust to an unusable state within a week after a single dousing of rain (of course they're not well-lubed as delivered to prevent this either), handlebar stems that slip, steel hubs with pressed raceways that split in half under hard use, and single-wall rims that are so thin that I've seen a few commuters who can't afford any better wear them down to the point that the bead split from the braking surface.

It's just easier to point fingers at a clearly identifiable operator's name on the downtube of a dockless bicycle.

It's the value of these bikes as starter commuters that keeps me going with them. You can't go to any big box store and pick out a well-made commuter bike that'll put up with the "throw it on the side of the house" storage approach, which is predominantly how big box bikes are treated. These are made for it, and their 3-speed IGH hubs solve all the issues of derailers and sticking chains that newcomers aren't accustomed to (not to mention that every single one of these bikes come with KMC Rust Buster chains too). That's why I'm adamant about seeing these retired machines find homes. Even if someone doesn't use it for a month, the moment they do come back to it, it'll be ready to go. Even if they left it on the side of the road. About 150 of the bikes I worked on had been left outdoors for a year and a half. Didn't really do anything but stain the hubs where the spoke surfaces rusted at the J bend.

The Twitter post happened to show a few kids that received them; there were many adults who received them as well through charities that handled smaller giveaways from the larger giveaway. These people are using them as commuter bicycles.

Speaking of which, I had one spare Spin Gen 3 which I gave to friend of a neighbor - a front-line healthcare worker who's a pretty avid rider. Has a Specialized MTB kitted out for the street (he didn't need the charity of a free bike, but I had Spins coming out of my ears to give away). After about three weeks, he started using the Spin for grocery store runs and any nearby trips. He found it more comfortable for an easy jaunt to the store, less likely to get stolen than the Specialized, and eventually he went for the same rear rack addition that I did on my Spin Gen 2.

It's zip-tied here only as he forgot to order the seatpost collar. That was sorted out the following week.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 11-28-20 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-28-20, 06:25 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Yep.
Old 11-28-20, 07:19 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogens
I often grab my wife's step through Trek Multitrack to go to the grocery store because it has the basket and it rides really well. What exactly is there to be worried about? That someone might think I was gay because I ride a "woman's bike?" How dumb does that sound? This isn't 1985 anymore, being gay isn't an insult. This whole issue is dated, a bit offensive, and really very silly. It's really just a structural question. Step throughs and diamond frames each have their pros and cons. I prefer diamond frames, but they can really suck to swing your leg over if there's a basket on the back. Step throughs really are more practical for doing errands. Anyway, pretty sure this is just a hang up of ours in the US that people need to get over so we can stop worrying about silly things and enjoy cycling technologies to their full advantage.
This is the crux of the matter. "mixte" literally means universal, unisex, one for all.

They were originally utilitarian, think butcher, baker, candlestick maker, etc.

Many companies made only mixtes for this and yes they were and have been labeled women's bikes, especially in the biased US.

And as always, remember true mixtes have the twin small tubes running from the HT to the RDO's.

So I guess I would ride a "womens" bike if I ever find a big one.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-28-20, 07:26 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I just want to be able to ride like a girl (most that I ride with are faster than me)
Old 11-30-20, 11:15 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Well since I am a woman I sure would
Old 11-30-20, 11:56 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

(...)
But I will challenge the claim that these "aren't bicycles," or that their waste is anything unique. A Wal-Mart special is equally problematic in regards to wasted resources, and easier for people to give up on - if not more so. @randyjawa's dumpster dives are a pretty good example of how the $79.99 specials get thrown away quick.

Any Huffy and Roadmaster rotting on the side of someone's house is part of the exact same problem. They're built in equal or greater quantity than dockless bikes, have lousy front derailers that don't work, steel chains that will rust to an unusable state within a week after a single dousing of rain (of course they're not well-lubed as delivered to prevent this either), handlebar stems that slip, steel hubs with pressed raceways that split in half under hard use, and single-wall rims that are so thin that I've seen a few commuters who can't afford any better wear them down to the point that the bead split from the braking surface.
(....)
-Kurt
Yes, good point. I may have been a little harsh, and you'd be right to call me a grumpy old man, but both practices just irritate me. Whether it be good quality products that are designed for The Average Person (who's that?) and get an early retirement (if it weren't for people like you) or products that are just crappy. Neither invokes the love or care needed to give these products a meaningful lifespan.

OK, back to the main program. Would I ride a women's bike? No. I guess I'm not unisex.

I do regularly fall in love with bikes designed for women, and I do buy them, but I've got a mrs non-fixie to ride them for me and look snazzy while doing it.

And to show I am open to new ideas (well, some of them): I do own (and like) this:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-30-20, 12:04 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I rode my sisters bike for one year after I tore mine up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.