Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Does a near-perfect weather place exist?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-25-15, 05:53 PM
New_IA_Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, I'm a whiner. I don't want to ride on a given day because it's too hot/humid...or it's pouring rain...most mornings are 80+ degrees with humidity in the 80-90%, blech. I want riding to be fun, not miserable. Back in March, when it was 40 degrees in the AM and 60 in the PM, that was nice commuting weather!

Does anybody here live in a cool, low-humidity area where it doesn't frequently rain? And where is that magical place?
Old 07-25-15, 06:11 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Nice here from about Apr through Sept. Cool mornings, warm, but not hot, in the afternoon. Our 'hot' is 85F. Nov through Mar make us appreciate the nice weather
Old 07-25-15, 06:17 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by New_IA_Rider

Does anybody here live in a cool, low-humidity area where it doesn't frequently rain?
Yes. Around here it gets to 50-60 degrees once the sun's up, and is rarely over 80. It doesn't rain much either.

And where is that magical place?
Silicon Valley near the San Francisco Bay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
weather.jpg (34.3 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-28-15 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-25-15, 06:20 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I find that no matter how hot it is in the "real world," it's always cool and breezy on my bike. Last Sunday, I rode 40 miles in 92-degree heat with a real-feel temp over 100. Never even broke a sweat...until I brought the bike to a stop.

My advice is, don't stop.
Old 07-25-15, 06:31 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Coastal California, in particular La Jolla, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, San Francisco.

Michigan is surprisingly decent during the non-winter months. Low humidity, except for an average of about 21 days a year. For what you'd save on housing costs vs. the above, probably 2/3 less on average, you can own a Florida destination as well. It appears that Tim Allen's Pure Michigan TV ads are working. It was packed up north this week except offshore, with lots of out of state visitors.

Lake Michigan from Harbor Springs, Michigan

Last edited by oddjob2; 07-25-15 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-25-15, 08:37 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, I'm a whiner. I don't want to ride on a given day because it's too hot/humid...or it's pouring rain...most mornings are 80+ degrees with humidity in the 80-90%, blech. I want riding to be fun, not miserable. Back in March, when it was 40 degrees in the AM and 60 in the PM, that was nice commuting weather!

Does anybody here live in a cool, low-humidity area where it doesn't frequently rain? And where is that magical place?
Yep Quebec province. One of the few places in the world where it is getting colder possibly because of climate change. A slight heat wave is coming though. By heat wave one should understand temperatures are going back to historical average temperatures.
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/new...ictions/52012/
https://globalnews.ca/news/1856489/co...ord-in-quebec/
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/new...-quebec/40394/

Last edited by erig007; 07-25-15 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-25-15, 08:47 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing since 1995. I have a whole laundry list of weather characteristics I would want but at this point, after 47 years in Oklahoma, I would settle for someplace where the wind doesn't blow.
Old 07-25-15, 10:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Nice here from about Apr through Sept. Cool mornings, warm, but not hot, in the afternoon. Our 'hot' is 85F. Nov through Mar make us appreciate the nice weather
Did you forget October through March?

Around here, there are a group of people called "snow birds" who come for the Pacific Northwest summers, then head south for the winter.
Old 07-25-15, 11:23 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
When I attended a conference in San Diego, the natives complained that the daytime temp was always in the 70s and they missed having four seasons. Don't know if it's true but I had no sympathy for them
Old 07-25-15, 11:55 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

The "banana belt" of Colorado. Low humidity, arid nearly throughout the year, summer temperatures rarely exceed the low 80s. It doesn't rain or snow here frequently.
Old 07-26-15, 01:26 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
Near perfect weather place does exist. It's called "childhood". Now HTFU and ride!
Old 07-26-15, 06:16 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Michigan???? Are you crazy???? You don't suggest Michigan!!!!!!! Hot as hell in the summer here usually and frigid cold in the winter. Mix in Florida like humidity along with some of the worst mosquitos in the world and you have summer here. Temps in the winter often stay in the single digits for weeks at a time. High of 9 for the day? Makes for a hell of a commute to work on two wheels. If you are going to suggest the midwest, either Southern Indiana, Southern Ohio, Kentucky, possibly Southern Illinois, Iowa, etc.

BTW - it is currently 66° and 84% humidity. It is only 8:16 am. Gonna be a nice and really humid day here.
Old 07-26-15, 08:15 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Before moving to Colorado Springs in 1992 I grew up in Chicago and lived in Iowa for 12 years so I "feel" ya. Most summers are dry here (10-15% humidity) with late summer temps rarely exceeding 95. Winters are much drier and more mild than the midwest and if it does snow, anything under 4 inches is gone by noon if the sun shines. But there have been wetter, more humid summers, and wetter, snowier winters. Like last summer, winter and again this summer. I finally started riding on rainy days, just to ride which is still not bad since you still dry pretty good in 30% humidity. And I am going to buy studded snow tires for next winter which means, of course, it will end up being dry again so you may want to swing by Colorado Springs and ride this winter. My advice...ride harder, ride faster; build up a real endorphin addiction...that'll keep you riding!
Old 07-26-15, 08:21 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I sure as heck wouldn't suggest that the OP's state, IA, is perfect, there are far worse places to commute in. I grew up in New Orleans and the hot days in IA just don't seem that bad to me. It's all relative.
Old 07-26-15, 08:34 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Before moving to Colorado Springs in 1992 I grew up in Chicago and lived in Iowa for 12 years so I "feel" ya. Most summers are dry here (10-15% humidity) with late summer temps rarely exceeding 95. Winters are much drier and more mild than the midwest and if it does snow, anything under 4 inches is gone by noon if the sun shines. But there have been wetter, more humid summers, and wetter, snowier winters. Like last summer, winter and again this summer. I finally started riding on rainy days, just to ride which is still not bad since you still dry pretty good in 30% humidity. And I am going to buy studded snow tires for next winter which means, of course, it will end up being dry again so you may want to swing by Colorado Springs and ride this winter. My advice...ride harder, ride faster; build up a real endorphin addiction...that'll keep you riding!
I just moved my step son out there. I almost didn't come home! I was surprised to find out how little it snows there, but I enjoy a little winter. I suppose I'd always be able to get my fill in the mountains. I miss the snowier winters of my childhood around here and we rarely missed school. Now school is out is they predict snow.

I asked one of the locals how his day was going while it was raining, "Way to wet and cool for July!". The other days out there where paradise though. We managed to fit in a little fun around moving chores
Old 07-26-15, 09:39 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Monterey/Carmel, CA, San Diego, CA and Christcrhuch, New Zealand
Old 07-26-15, 11:11 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Even if you move to a place with more moderate temps, I think your body adjusts to the local climate over time just to give you something to gripe about.

Personally I'd never want to live any place that didn't get adequate rainfall at least. At times we just have to put up with less than ideal weather, otherwise the world would be uninhabitable.

Last edited by tjspiel; 07-26-15 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-26-15, 11:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
But then can you afford to Live there?
Old 07-26-15, 12:38 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Coastal California is the very definition of perfect cycling weather year round. That is why so many pros either came from here or train here off season. Bib shorts and short sleeves, maybe a windbreaker, are all you need.

Oh, but you want quiet rural roads too? Not so much.
Old 07-26-15, 01:09 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by catgita
Coastal California is the very definition of perfect cycling weather year round. That is why so many pros either came from here or train here off season. Bib shorts and short sleeves, maybe a windbreaker, are all you need.

As long as you're not too thirsty. (Just steering the pot a little )
Old 07-26-15, 01:43 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 93 Posts

Israel. Very similar climate to SoCal
Old 07-26-15, 07:41 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
I tend to rather like St Andrews or Skye (both Scotland). A bit more wind than most might prefer though. Edinburgh is actually quite temperate and less windy.
Old 07-26-15, 07:52 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
San Diego, CA; my hometown for 10+ years. Monterey? - You must be joking.
Old 07-26-15, 08:19 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I like the weather in DC. We get all four seasons, and all types of weather, except perhaps drought. Makes you really appreciate the nice days, and suffering through the bad ones is somehow satisfying. Overcoming the elements and all. I think it would really get a bit boring to have "perfect weather" all the time.
Old 07-26-15, 08:41 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by catgita

Mediterranean and subarctic climates are near the ideal Goldilocks climate. Neither too humid nor too dry. Tropical and arctic climates at the extreme.

People can adapt of course but I suspect most people would be happy with moderate heat and not too much cold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.