Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Rides and Events > Pacific Northwest Regional Rides
Reload this Page >

STP Question: from start how far is Juanita - Landmark before incline

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Regional Rides Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-16, 04:17 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

This Las Vegas rider has not done STP since 2013, and remember Juanita hill as a jammed up area that I came upon without any notice to enable riders to prepare (gear down) for this short incline.

I would like to see it well marked, but presume so many local and repeat riders know this incline it is not much of a problem. For me and several riders from Vegas, it was a mess with a great number of riders on the circle waiting to cross the path of the riders arriving to fast or in the wrong gears to easily go over this short incline.

Known mileage from the start would be very helpful, and a known, easy to remember landmark prior to the incline/turn would also be helpful.

JR

Last edited by Namida12; 06-14-16 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-18-16, 08:48 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
On this film 37:17: Sam's STP Video 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEDQW6Kn2Z0

I will review this and look for other you tube film with this short incline approach.
Old 06-21-16, 06:53 AM
Jasper Storm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
What you are referring to, as far as that video shows, is Juneau Street, which is at the first rest stop (Seward Park).

There is no reason to need to use this rest stop, which is so close to the starting line, unless one has an unplanned major mechanical or gastrointestinal issue.

Just stay right, ignore the roundabout/traffic circle/rest stop, run the stop sign, and charge up that short, yet steep hill.
Old 06-22-16, 03:48 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasper Storm
What you are referring to, as far as that video shows, is Juneau Street, which is at the first rest stop (Seward Park).

There is no reason to need to use this rest stop, which is so close to the starting line, unless one has an unplanned major mechanical or gastrointestinal issue.

Just stay right, ignore the roundabout/traffic circle/rest stop, run the stop sign, and charge up that short, yet steep hill.
Thanks thought it was Juanita - S. Juneau St. name makes more sense in the Northwest. Never knew Seward Park was a organised Mini rest stop. Just thought this was a poorly marked right turn with a steep incline, that caught many riders completly off guard, with little signage or knowledge of this short incline.

The first year I rode this event I remember a few people yelling to gear down, and when I reached the intersection it was a zoo, with dozens of riders coming across the the roadway from the left into the oncoming riders path.

I had to do an emergency stop to avoid crashing into several riders that had ventured into the intersection from a large group of standing riders waiting on the left, to be able to rejoin the ride by crossing the intersection to climb up the incline.

Second time, I listen for the verbal warnings, and made the turn, while spinning the pedals up the incline past a dozen riders stopped on the incline.

Checked the route map: 10.7 miles from the start to the (steep up, one block) section in question.

Jasper Storm, again thank you for the correct street name.

JR

Last edited by Namida12; 06-22-16 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 11:30 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry to bump this thread, but armed with the 10.6 mileage, and reviewing a number of STP Videos I was able to identify the area, and make the turn and up the hill without any problems. Yet the hill was littered with unprepared stopped riders in the process of climbing off their bicycles or walking them up the short hill. My Opinion this hill still needs to be marked much better for the 2017 event. Other than this section I did not see much trouble and it was a good event I will do again, maybe 2018.