Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Danger From Carbon Fiber Bikes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Danger From Carbon Fiber Bikes

Old 07-24-16, 11:52 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I'll just leave this little thing here for you to argue over:

12 High-End Frames in the EFBe Fatigue Test

For those who don't follow the link the carbon and aluminium frames lasted longer than the steel ones in a fatigue test (although you really should read the article for the full story).

For what it's worth the only 2 frames that have failed on me in 43 years of riding were both steel and they both snapped the drive side chain stay clean without any crash involved (thought it was a broken spoke the first time it happened as it sounded like one and the wheel rubbing against the frame was also indicative of a spoke failure).
Old 07-25-16, 12:03 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Let's see that picture of the complete bike.

Besides I see you didn't read my entire post, you skipped right past the 2nd paragraph, I guess reading wasn't a strong point of yours.
Not sure why you're being a dick. No, I don't have any pictures of the broken bike as it happened a few years ago and I stripped the components. I took a few pictures of the broken BB as I tried to find someone to weld it. Also, no rust as it was a summer bike not ridden in the rain. Sorry to burst your bubble but steel is not infallible. The cheaper steel bikes probably last longer as they were made of thicker, heavier steel.
Old 07-25-16, 05:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
Do you understand the difference between a warranty and catastrophic failure? The warranty on my car was three years as well and yet 22 years later the front end of the car hasn't fallen off. But I suppose that could be just luck.
Listen, son, I was pointing out that your suspicion that the warranty is only 2 years because CF bikes are only good for 2 years is simply not supported by the warranty period since, for more than 15 years, it has applied to all Colnago frames regardless of material. Get it, now? This B.S. thread has run its course. Please don't darken my doorstep anymore, get yourself a beach cruiser and stick to the boardwalks.
Old 07-25-16, 05:40 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Listen, son, I was pointing out that your suspicion that the warranty is only 2 years because CF bikes are only good for 2 years is simply not supported by the warranty period since, for more than 15 years, it has applied to all Colnago frames regardless of material. Get it, now? This B.S. thread has run its course. Please don't darken my doorstep anymore, get yourself a beach cruiser and stick to the boardwalks.
Old 07-25-16, 05:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
I think yesterday must have been national reading comprehension fail day because I got two separate post quotes by to different people who missed my points by wide margins.
Old 07-25-16, 07:28 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
I'll just leave this little thing here for you to argue over:

12 High-End Frames in the EFBe Fatigue Test

For those who don't follow the link the carbon and aluminium frames lasted longer than the steel ones in a fatigue test (although you really should read the article for the full story).

For what it's worth the only 2 frames that have failed on me in 43 years of riding were both steel and they both snapped the drive side chain stay clean without any crash involved (thought it was a broken spoke the first time it happened as it sounded like one and the wheel rubbing against the frame was also indicative of a spoke failure).
Of course you show a fatigue test done by and industry lab that would be pro whatever the current frame material being pushed by the cycling industry is at the time. I remember when that same lab years ago just at the time CF material was coming out showed that aluminum was the best and a frame made by Principal was the best of the best. So maybe you should read this site and then make a thought pattern about the absurdity of that series of tests: EFBe Frame Test: how NOT to test a Bicycle
Old 07-25-16, 08:08 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Plus actual business transactions of course, but without a physical point of presence or business relationship with a business in the jurisdiction it's problematic. I once successfully enforced personal jurisdiction over an internet based company based in California, but I could show an actual business office here, I believe I could have, with precedence based on just sales here, but that can go both ways. I'm just going by US law and I don't know anything about international trade law (beyond that it's supposed to be difficult to assert jurisdiction) but I don't imagine that local jurisdiction is easier than between the states. I suspect that just advertising with some intent to sell isn't the full standard and that some additional elements were needed.

Bottom line is, Colnago probably has good reason to try to sidetrack potential product liability claims. Their alleged attorney, who wrote to you, purports to specialize in that.
When my IRD fork collapsed no American lawyer would even talk to me. All I was looking for was medical bills which weren't that much - perhaps $10,000. But the fact is that I am permanently disabled. I have seizures and memory loss and have to take medicine with nasty side effects for the remainder of my life. The medication stops the seizures but the memory loss is a problem. Luckily it has little to do with my work which is almost entirely original thought. But I couldn't tell you even half of the places I worked.

Finally a friend of mine who owns a firm in Oakland volunteered while on a ride to look into it.

Since I had bought the fork from a Irish firm the response from IRD was that they had never had any intent to market to the USA and as proof had never advertised here even though the Internet could be construed as advertising over the entire world.

They quoted the chapter and verse of international law and the lawyer that my friend assigned to the case said that was pretty much bullet proof.
Old 07-25-16, 08:14 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Of course you show a fatigue test done by and industry lab that would be pro whatever the current frame material being pushed by the cycling industry is at the time. I remember when that same lab years ago just at the time CF material was coming out showed that aluminum was the best and a frame made by Principal was the best of the best. So maybe you should read this site and then make a thought pattern about the absurdity of that series of tests: EFBe Frame Test: how NOT to test a Bicycle
Fatigue testing is pretty much the same. The problem is that it was originally designed for steel. The failure modes of aluminum and carbon fiber are different and less likely to fail from the low frequency repetitive tests that were originally invented.

No one is trying to hide anything. They are simply using standard engineering tests that no longer are valid. And since this validity hasn't been taught in schools these lower level engineers can always reference text books that show that they are performing the correct stress tests.

I don't have a degree and have taken over projects in virtually every field from advanced degree engineers and succeeded where they have failed. Simply because I do not look at a problem as a test of my memory of engineering education.
Old 07-25-16, 08:25 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
This would kill 9 out of 10 people which WHY you are required to wear seatbelts in your car. Working from memory most people that are killed in auto accidents are doing 25 mph combined speed.
I'd check that memory. While many fatal accidents are low speed car crashes, they generally involve one of a few factors such as elderly drivers whose bodies are not as able to absorb an impact or a side impact. 6000# of truck hitting my car six inches from my shoulder at 25MPH is a lot more impact for my body to absorb than my 210# hitting the ground (or a tree, been there done that) at the same speed. If a 35MPH crash would kill 9 out of 10 people, there should have been numerous deaths at the TdF this year. Spoiler alert: there were none. Heck, I've wrecked a motorcycle at 45, had nothing to show for it but a sore ankle and a messed up nose.

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
"Send CF bikes to me" has been proposed by many now. This request is tired and and no longer humorous. Why would anyone give away bikes they could SELL to riders who are unconcerned of the higher risk of catastrophic failure... and the results of such?
Because charging for such a death trap to an unscrupulous buyer would be a very unethical. We merely want them knowing full well the dangers to properly dispose of them

And here I thought that "you are correct, Mr. Kunich, when you observe that our frames are built for racing conditions far more severe that the bumps you hit in your recent rides. Indeed, as you probably know, the C-40 and C-50 (which share the identical technology) still hold the record for most victories in the Paris-Roubaix. However frames used by professionals are used for one, or maximum two seasons after which they are either destroyed or sold (by the teams themselves) to private individuals with the understanding that they are purchasing them at their sole risk and responsibility."

was pretty plainly saying that Colnago will deny responsibility for any damage after 2 years. "after which they are destroyed"

At least you'll learn for yourself.
No, it is saying that the bikes are designed to last for two years for a professional cyclist. Autos are designed for a 10yr/100k lifecycle, and yet the average age of vehicles on the road today has risen to 11.5 years. If we transpose that logic, that means over half the vehicles on the road today are unsafe and ready to fall apart at a moments notice, something that simply is not true. We do see, however, that the overwhelming majority of vehicles have no problem hitting the 10 year AND 100k mark without major issue.

And comparing how professional racers use a bike on one of the most notoriously hard-on-road-bike races in the world to how they are supposed to be used by amateurs is simply silly.
Old 07-25-16, 08:27 AM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I think that you're taking affront where none was intended. I was pointing out that IF the factory recommends that the racing teams destroy these bikes after only one or two seasons of use it is because they are concerned about personal injury. And Mama knows best don't you know?

The warranty period in the US is 3 years despite the fact that in Europe by law it must be 10 years. However, there are sharp limits on personal lawsuits in Europe made to protect companies, which do not exist in the USA.

Now, since pro racing wear and tear is MUCH higher than that which you or I could put on it why would they make such a short warranty period unless they have hard proof that they are getting many failures?

Notice that the C60 construction method is much different than that of the C40. I just looked at the carbon fork on my Ridley and it appears to have an aluminum insert for the length of the fork and be covered with CF. Does Ridley know something we do not?
Old 07-25-16, 08:33 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
No, it is saying that the bikes are designed to last for two years for a professional cyclist.
That's not what it says.
Old 07-25-16, 08:33 AM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveWC
Ha ha ha. That's rich. You have the ability to detect that the carbon fork was the cause of your inability to steer. I don't know why that type of evidence didn't cause Colnago to send you buckets of cash. Maybe logic tells them that a 25mph crash into a rock wall is more likely the cause of the crack, and the 35mph jaunt over a large bump is more likely the cause of the crash. Your lofty opinion of your ability aside... Occam's razor just cut your story to shreds.

Btw, you've taken to attacking my intelligence.... both for my apparent "stories" that are mere repetitions of your words that you've seemingly forgotten plus my lack of concern for my safety after you've detailed the huge risk I take while riding carbon. For my part I question the intelligence of someone who in 2006 decided that carbon bikes have a two year life...

"if you want to spend big bucks on a high zoot paperlite frame don't be surprised that it will only last a year or two. THAT'S what they were designed for - not a lifetime of use."

In 2009 suffered a catastrophic failure of a carbon fork...

"On December 17, 2009, I was riding down a bicycle trail. My ITM carbon fiber fork simply came unglued on one side and the other broke off dumping me on my face and knocking me out for over 5 minutes."

And now almost 8 years later you've finally decided to warn us that carbon bikes only last 2 years after faceplanting into a wall after yet another ride on your 10+ year old carbon bike. So I'm stupid for ignoring your advice, having had zero problems with my carbon bikes over the last 20 years, but you think you're splitting atoms given your history? Hilarious. Your actions belie your credentials.
Before you could understand any of this you'd have to be a bike rider and you plainly are not. As I explained to others I had NO CLAIMS to Colnago and was only looking to discover the service life and possibly a source of a new fork.

It was THEIR response that carbon fiber is unsafe at any speed.
Old 07-25-16, 08:47 AM
DaveWC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It was THEIR response that carbon fiber is unsafe at any speed.
No. It wasn't. The lawyer said that your bike had outlived it's useful life. He also stated that "frames used by professionals are used for one, or maximum two seasons after which they are either destroyed or sold". Nowhere does he state the Colnago has anything to do with that decision nor that the decision is predicated on anything but the desire by the team to have new models of the bike. Nowhere does he say that the useful life of Colnago bikes is two years. Nowhere does he state that carbon is unsafe at any speed.

If anything, your experience shows the durability of carbon. Any yokel can lose control of their bike on a descent, run the bike into a rock wall at 25 mph and only cause a seam on the fork.

Btw, are you still riding a bike with a carbon frame?
Old 07-25-16, 08:47 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by PepeM
That's not what it says.
It is far closer of an interpretation than anything older than two years is obviously a danger that shouldn't be ridden because that is how long pro teams use them for.
Old 07-25-16, 08:49 AM
PepeM

True.
Old 07-25-16, 10:57 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
So here's my problem with this whole discussion: We're sitting here discussing *road bikes*, meanwhile, in the MTB world, bikes are being beaten on and tortured in ways we can hardly imagine on our notionally eggshell-fragile CF bikes, and there is hardly a plague of asplosions happening over there. Hitting A bump at 35 destroyed your bike and nearly killed you? these people do nothing BUT hit bumps, and given the frequency and violence of those hits--as a matter of the sport--if what you're saying is true, suspensions wouldn't make a difference even in the medium term. MTBers beat the SNOT out of their rigs, and they don't have to replace them every season. Now, the bikes do tend to be built more ruggedly and are heavier, but compared to the amount of abuse they suffer...?

That's why I'm not buying this whole "carbon asplodes at 24 months" thing.
Old 07-25-16, 11:32 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
So here's my problem with this whole discussion: We're sitting here discussing *road bikes*, meanwhile, in the MTB world, bikes are being beaten on and tortured in ways we can hardly imagine on our notionally eggshell-fragile CF bikes, and there is hardly a plague of asplosions happening over there. Hitting A bump at 35 destroyed your bike and nearly killed you? these people do nothing BUT hit bumps, and given the frequency and violence of those hits--as a matter of the sport--if what you're saying is true, suspensions wouldn't make a difference even in the medium term. MTBers beat the SNOT out of their rigs, and they don't have to replace them every season. Now, the bikes do tend to be built more ruggedly and are heavier, but compared to the amount of abuse they suffer...?

That's why I'm not buying this whole "carbon asplodes at 24 months" thing.
Actually, the MTB'ers usually do have to buy new bikes every 3-4 years, if you look at the mtbr threads. Of course, the overwhelming majority of those are Al frames with broken welds.
Old 07-25-16, 11:56 AM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If anything, your experience shows the durability of carbon. Any yokel can lose control of their bike on a descent, run the bike into a rock wall at 25 mph and only cause a seam on the fork.

Btw, are you still riding a bike with a carbon frame?
That alone shows that you aren't a bike rider So why are you here? To convince yourself that riding down to the drug store makes you a sports rider?
Old 07-25-16, 12:01 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Wheever
So here's my problem with this whole discussion: We're sitting here discussing *road bikes*, meanwhile, in the MTB world, bikes are being beaten on and tortured in ways we can hardly imagine on our notionally eggshell-fragile CF bikes, and there is hardly a plague of asplosions happening over there.
I've got a Cr-Mo MTB and road bike. No way I see the road bike taking abuse like the MTB. Can't imagine what that thin fork would do the first couple times I jumped it

Just because things are made out of the same material, does not mean they aren't engineered vastly different.
Old 07-25-16, 12:07 PM
PepeM

I have a confession to make: I am not a bike rider either. I just come for the intellectual discourse.
Old 07-25-16, 12:08 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
It's getting a bit sad now.
Hmmmm ... possibly, though my perverse side is thinking "Best ... Thread ... Ever". If we bent the space/time continuum enough it could have been the inspiration for:

Old 07-25-16, 12:09 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
I have a confession to make: I am not a bike rider either. I just come for the intellectual discourse.
Well played!
Speaking of intellectual discourse, have you sampled LCF recently?
Old 07-25-16, 12:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
PepeM never disappoints.
Old 07-25-16, 12:40 PM
DaveWC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That alone shows that you aren't a bike rider So why are you here? To convince yourself that riding down to the drug store makes you a sports rider?
I'm here to learn from the giants... like you. That doesn't mean that every hairbrained post has merit.

As a matter of a fact, I am a bike rider. I only average about 24km every day but I manage about 7,500 kms each year. Today I happened to average 268w (NP 281w, IF 0.945) getting my groceries. Not bad considering the heat/humidity. Sure, it's no falldown in the park like you probably had, but I had fun. The ice cream didn't melt either.
Old 07-25-16, 12:54 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm here to learn from the giants... like you. That doesn't mean that every hairbrained post has merit.

As a matter of a fact, I am a bike rider. I only average about 24km every day but I manage about 7,500 kms each year. Today I happened to average 268w (NP 281w, IF 0.945) getting my groceries. Not bad considering the heat/humidity. Sure, it's no falldown in the park like you probably had, but I had fun. The ice cream didn't melt either.
So since you are plainly an experienced rider why are you MAKING such harebrained postings yourself?

First you make the comment that my posting is neither real and that you cannot decode a letter from a man being posted by another. Then you don't believe that CF fails as demonstrated in photos. Then you entirely and purposely misrepresent the letter from Colnago's law firm. Then you cry that I must not know how to ride.

If your group believes carbon fiber to be safe why the argument?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.