Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I Think my LBS is Doing Something Really Shady

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I Think my LBS is Doing Something Really Shady

Old 07-29-16, 08:29 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It does appear that you prefer playing amatuer internet detective to buying a bike.
Old 07-29-16, 10:29 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
I feel like your statement is completely unfounded, and pointless.

Test rode 3 more bikes tonight.
So, is anything speaking to you?
Old 07-29-16, 10:50 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
It does appear that you prefer playing amatuer internet detective to buying a bike.
Think what you want, I'm in the learning, research, and test riding stage. Sorry I don't run out and blow a chunk of change on the first thing I ride. I've been on this forum for like 2 weeks ffs. I'm reading, learning, testing, and getting my feet wet and figuring out what I do and don't like, so if you don't like it, leave. This thread was pretty much done two days ago anyway.

Originally Posted by MRT2
So, is anything speaking to you?
I've ridden a Sirrus Base, Base Disc, Sport, Elite (2x), and an Allez Sport (no base Allez anywhere in my size). I liked the Elite and the Allez, kind of want to get a ride on the '17 Sport when the LBS gets one in which looks like a compelling bike at the price point given all the changes Specialized made for '17, and the charcoal looks awesome. The other problem is selection of '16 anything is really drying up in both size and colors (I'm the smallest size on anything I ride which they tend to have few of to begin with) but the '17s aren't trickling in yet and nobody knows when they will arrive.

I've got some time still.
Old 07-29-16, 10:54 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Think what you want, I'm in the learning, research, and test riding stage. Sorry I don't run out and blow a chunk of change on the first thing I ride. I've been on this forum for like 2 weeks ffs. I'm reading, learning, testing, and getting my feet wet and figuring out what I do and don't like, so if you don't like it, leave. This thread was pretty much done two days ago anyway.

I've ridden a Sirrus Base, Base Disc, Sport, Elite (2x), and an Allez Sport (no base Allez anywhere in my size). I liked the Elite and the Allez, kind of want to get a ride on the '17 Sport when the LBS gets one in which looks like a compelling bike at the price point given all the changes Specialized made for '17, and the charcoal looks awesome. The other problem is selection of '16 anything is really drying up in both size and colors (I'm the smallest size on anything I ride which they tend to have few of to begin with) but the '17s aren't trickling in yet and nobody knows when they will arrive.

I've got some time still.
Looks like you have the Specialized angle covered. Now, try a few other brands just for your edification.
Old 07-29-16, 10:57 PM
puma1552

Originally Posted by MRT2
Looks like you have the Specialized angle covered. Now, try a few other brands just for your edification.
Definitely - went to look at a Quick 4 last night at REI but when I got there it was nowhere to be found despite the site saying they had one in my size.

Also looked at a Trek Allant 7.2 and a couple FXs before I started looking at Specialized, but that LBS experience pretty much sucked.
Old 07-29-16, 11:07 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OP, if you're going to do this, you may as well do it right! Make sure you have the right equipment!:

Old 07-30-16, 05:17 AM
bakes1
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So we have now determined that Specialized and/or your LBS are not "doing something really shady?"
Because that's what I thought the OP was about...
No reply yet from the email you sent to Specialized to report your LBS's suspicious activity btw?

Last edited by bakes1; 07-30-16 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-30-16, 05:59 AM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In terms of buying a hybrid bike, and comparing hybrids, the Hybrid Forum might be the place to check with folks.
Be specific in what it is you are looking for, and the hybrid owners can chime in. I have an 8.5DS and like it quite well.

My understanding is that the equivalent FX model compares favorably over the Quick model.
But that may have been a 2014/2015 review. I see a LOT of FXs out there on my rides.

You might want to find a different Trek dealer if the one you went to was not helpful.
It would be a shame to avoid a well known brand, that has models in your range of interest, due to a single LBS's customer treatment. Sometimes you cannot judge by a single visit, perhaps walk back in, see if there is any difference? Some retailers do have bad days....staff calls in sick, manager has to leave, etc.

If you walk into an LBS and say "I am interested in [name the brand/model]" and they do not respond accordingly, I don't see how they make sales, nor stay in business.
Old 07-30-16, 09:27 AM
puma1552

So we have now determined that Specialized and/or your LBS are not "doing something really shady?"
Because that's what I thought the OP was about...
It appears that way based on what I described on the previous page with the changes to the Specialized site within the last couple days.

Originally Posted by bakes
No reply yet from the email you sent to Specialized to report your LBS's suspicious activity btw?
No.
Old 07-30-16, 11:22 AM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Generally, when there is no change in the spec of the bike, it will be relabeled as the new model year. Why should a bike be cheaper when the only difference is two digits printed on a paper sticker? Note that model year doesn't directly relate to when something was manufactured. It's more of a marketing concept.
Old 08-01-16, 08:55 AM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Bikes: Northwoods Springdale Women's bike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I stopped off at my LBS just now after work to see if they had any '17 Specialized Sirruses on the floor yet, I mainly wanted to see colors in person. '17s went up on the Specialized website last week.

For those that don't know, the Specialized website shows the Sirrus base disc in bright orange for 2016 and a price of $600. The '17 is only available in blue according to the site, and got a price drop to $550.

Well, my bike shop has several orange base discs selling for $600 - the problem is, the big price tag on every one clearly calls them out as '17s.

It's not just the base disc either, but also the base model. The base model is available in an identical black color scheme for both 2016 and 2017, but the 2016 is $520 and the 2017 is $500. Yet they had a bunch of black base models for $520, and listed as 2017s. Note they had neither of the new for '17 colors on the floor (silver and lime) for the base model either, just the black which is further suspicious.

I suspect in both of these cases, unless I'm missing something, they are dishonestly retagging their '16 Sirrus Base/base disc models as '17s. They had at least 4-5 of each.

Note this isn't the case on all models - the '16 Sirrus sports are correctly labeled as '16s, and they are selling '16 Sirrus Elites at a discount.

Am I missing something or is my LBS shady? The guy did tell me that they don't get '17s in until 2 to 4 months after they go up on the website, despite standing right in front of supposed '17s...I'd hate to name the shop (it's a chain), but hard to support my LBS if they are doing something dishonest...
Being a new cyclist, I would want to know, or find out what the deal is. I'm glad you posted this because there are "things" to watch for, especially when you aren't educated about bikes. Like someone mentioned, it could have been a mistake made accidentally too though. I'd be for asking the person in a subtle way and see how he/she responds.

I'm going to be putting some "hard" saved bucks into a bike in about 2 months with our local LBS, and I feel I can trust him, I want to "still believe" there are honest folks. Knowing as little as I do, I do know a 2016 bicycle, is not a 2017 bicycle. I'm part of the "bicycle police" now It's a dirty job but someone has to do it! Wear it proudly!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
badge.jpg (54.2 KB, 160 views)
Old 08-01-16, 02:52 PM
American Euchre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I were a bike shop owner or employee, I would absolutely dread a customer like OP showing up in my shop.
Old 08-01-16, 02:54 PM
puma1552

Originally Posted by American Euchre
If I were a bike shop owner or employee, I would absolutely dread a customers like OP showing up in my shop.
Well I don't think he dreaded me coming back in yesterday and dropping 8 bills on a bike, so whatever dude. But hey I'm just an internet detective who has no interest in buying a bike, right?
Old 08-01-16, 03:12 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Well I don't think he dreaded me coming back in yesterday and dropping 8 bills on a bike, so whatever dude. But hey I'm just an internet detective who has no interest in buying a bike, right?
TO be fair, to many here (me definitely NOT included) eight bills is absolutely nothing to drop on a bike!

Glad to hear you found something you liked, though! Have fun on it and ignore the haters!
Old 08-01-16, 04:44 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hey, fellow members... the OP found something that could be fraudulent in nature to many of his LBS customers and stood up ad did something, congrats to him as he may have saved a few people from getting misled and ripped off.

I think before I reported him, I would have asked for an explanation but regardless of our opinions, the LBS was doing something unethical (even if unknowingly) and it was proper to question them.
Old 08-01-16, 05:16 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
If I were a bike shop owner or employee, I would absolutely dread a customer like OP showing up in my shop.
It's good thing then that you don't own a business!
Old 08-01-16, 05:33 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Think what you want, I'm in the learning, research, and test riding stage. Sorry I don't run out and blow a chunk of change on the first thing I ride. I've been on this forum for like 2 weeks ffs. I'm reading, learning, testing, and getting my feet wet and figuring out what I do and don't like, so if you don't like it, leave. This thread was pretty much done two days ago anyway..
But still, unless I'm missing something, you still haven't figured out - or asked - about the actual differences between the two bikes in your first post, other than color. That to me isn't learning and research.

PS: I'm glad you bought a bike, and ride the hell out of it. But, I would truly like to know the real, accurate answer to your original issue.

Last edited by Camilo; 08-01-16 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-01-16, 05:54 PM
puma1552

Originally Posted by Camilo
But still, unless I'm missing something, you still haven't figured out - or asked - about the actual differences between the two bikes in your first post, other than color. That to me isn't learning and research.

PS: I'm glad you bought a bike, and ride the hell out of it. But, I would truly like to know the real, accurate answer to your original issue.
You are absolutely right. We still don't really know what is going on - while the Specialized site has now seemed to blur the lines on the base Sirrus and base disc by giving price ranges under the '16 models (basically adding the cheaper '17 prices to the '16 models), the '17s are still cheaper and in the case of the base disc, still doesn't show orange as an option for '17. Really what the site shows is you may get a cheaper, presumably lesser component '16, but not a more expensive '17, which is what the bike shops have on the floor. Pretty much opposite of the Specialized site.

In any regard, since I'm just an internet detective troll with no interest in buying a bike according to half the people in this thread, I guess I stopped caring the moment I said I'd take the '16 Elite despite having a legitimate question that we still don't have an answer for.

I guess the next person who wants to buy a base Sirrus or base Sirrus disc will have their work cut out for them; Specialized never replied.

Last edited by puma1552; 08-01-16 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 01:47 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
You are absolutely right. We still don't really know what is going on - while the Specialized site has now seemed to blur the lines on the base Sirrus and base disc by giving price ranges under the '16 models (basically adding the cheaper '17 prices to the '16 models), the '17s are still cheaper and in the case of the base disc, still doesn't show orange as an option for '17. Really what the site shows is you may get a cheaper, presumably lesser component '16, but not a more expensive '17, which is what the bike shops have on the floor. Pretty much opposite of the Specialized site.

In any regard, since I'm just an internet detective troll with no interest in buying a bike according to half the people in this thread, I guess I stopped caring the moment I said I'd take the '16 Elite despite having a legitimate question that we still don't have an answer for.

I guess the next person who wants to buy a base Sirrus or base Sirrus disc will have their work cut out for them; Specialized never replied.
Of course not. They've probably sent your email to their lawyers, and are figuring out a way to take you to court so they can sue the pants off you
Old 08-02-16, 05:32 AM
bakes1
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NYMXer, what are you talking about?
What exactly was proven to be unethical or fraudulent on the part of the LBS?
Old 08-02-16, 06:46 AM
prtyich

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon, Dahon Vitesse P18

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Instead of a wise remark, why not tell us what your point is?
Seriously. The responses in this thread in some cases are simply ridiculous and disrespectful. I rarely weigh in but had to given that a person coming in as a relative newbie to bikes asks a legit question that most rational consumers would be wondering given that the store would appear to be mismarking the bikes, either accidentally or unintentionally.

All the OP is trying to do is get some background on how bike makers handle their model years - from what I understand, Specialized would have a very short tolerance for LBS' not clearly marking their bikes - and to do so in an informed manner BEFORE asking the LBS questions. An uninformed consumer could be easily confused by an LBS, so the OP is smart to try and educate themselves before asking the manager questions.

That the responses in this thread have either been: "oh you have nothing to worry about (as if spending money on a product that is not what it is claimed to be is no problem - perhaps these posters like paying for porterhouse when they get ground beef) or "why are you asking questions like this on the web?"

These stupid responses do not do justice to this forum, which over the past 7/8 years I've been a member has been filled with generally intelligent and helpful posters.
Old 08-02-16, 06:50 AM
prtyich

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What "regulation" ever regulated the use of year and model designations in the bicycle industry?
When was year and model designation for bicycles not chiefly a marketing tool?
There is something called consumer fraud protection, where marking 2016 items as 2017 is not legal, it does not need to be specific to the bicycle industry. Not sure if some bike owners in this thread live on another planet, but to consumers coming from other sports/fields, this thread is looking like the twilight zone.

It is NOT acceptable to label a 2016 bike as "2017" simply by adding a better crankshaft or derailleur, nor placing a 2016-colored frame with newer components and calling it a "2017" model. It isn't acceptable to most consumers in other inudstries, and should not and legally would not in the bicycle one either.
Old 08-02-16, 06:54 AM
prtyich

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Riiiight, because someone spending hundreds of dollars should not feel they should be getting their money's worth, got it.

How about adding something useful to the thread?
Old 08-02-16, 06:59 AM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prtyich
An uninformed consumer could be easily confused by an LBS, so the OP is smart to try and educate themselves before asking the manager questions.
But seriously, it would make more sense to ask the manager as well as educating himself. There's no reason that the potential confusion from the manager's answer would preclude the OP from also starting this thread & using the internet to figure out the answer. To simply not ask (and never ask) a simple question of the staff of the LBS seems ridiculous and is no doubt the reason for the tone of the responses. Your quoted response above uses the word "before" and assumes that after educating himself the OP asked the manager.
Old 08-02-16, 07:02 AM
prtyich

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am astounded at how bike owners have been beaten into submission to accept whatever crumbs the bike shops toss at you in terms of information and service. Perhaps I should open a store, I wouldn't have to label my product properly or worry about offering good service - people like you would be happy just to be acknowledged with an occasional nod.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.