Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Anyone riding a Vader saddle?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-11, 10:21 AM
natbla

Bikes: 2011 Chinese Carbon Road, 2012 Giant Talon 1 29er, 2018 Mongoose Salvo Supa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the shape and look, but would love to here how it rides.

Here are two links to what I think is the same saddle on ebay but with slightly different covers. The width will work for me in either case.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2476wt_905

or

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_4161wt_905
Old 03-23-11, 11:17 AM
Profgumby

Bikes: Giant Sedona, Giant Trance 2, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2011 Schwinn LeTour Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, we'll see. I just bought the one in your first link. I figure if I can't use it, someone in my family will.... They look like good saddles and I have read some reviews online and did not find a bad review in the lot. One guy had one negative comment though, he said he bent a frame rail after 2 seasons of riding, but then we do not know how he rides. If he is more of an extreme rider and hard on equipment one might expect a saddle rail to bend on a hard drop etc...

BTW, I got the saddle for under 16 dollars with shipping! If these things are as nice as I read, that is quite a value. Though I really still want a brooks saddle on my new road bike, I will not have my new road bike here soon enough to give a good review, so when this saddle arrives I will put it on one of my other bikes and give it an hour and a half in the trainer to see what I think...
Old 03-26-11, 07:31 PM
Profgumby

Bikes: Giant Sedona, Giant Trance 2, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2011 Schwinn LeTour Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, never mind my last response. I won the auction and paid that night. A day or two later I got an email from the ebay store telling me they had refunded my paypal amount and that the saddle I won was the last one like it and had a "Serious defect" so it was not available. they gave me a favorable feedback and so I did to them too. So, I guess it is back to square 1 if these are any good or not...

It's not like I would have wanted a defective saddle anyway....
Old 03-28-11, 04:43 AM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've had one in a drawer for over a year. So far it still looks nice, but no idea on comfort or durability, lol.
Old 03-28-11, 10:21 AM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Darth makes saddles????
Old 03-25-17, 12:31 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, have ridden them for years, the weight varies often, 240 - 270 grams, and the non leather vinyl covering last about 6 to 12 months depending upon how often you sit on your bicycle. I have used these saddles 3 times in the Classic Seattle to Portland event in July when it is to warm to be comfortable riding during the day in Vegas. That said, the recent 2 Vader saddles I purchased off ebay for less than $9 with free shipping do not seem to be the same saddles I have been riding for years.

The fit and finish is similar for both the white and the newer black saddles I purchased. They seem to sag/flex more, and make my "Taint" sore @ about 70 miles distance. I crashed hard in November 2016 and am slowly recovering, now riding 8 miles several times a week, and I can feel the saddle is no longer comfortable for a short distance.

I am going to change out the Vader for my Brooks saddle, as I am using the Baso Gap for these short rides and do not need the light weight Fuji SST 1.0. Not looking for the light weight bicycle that lets me spin up the wheels quickly.

The lovely Basso is a delight to ride the less than 10 mile per hour recovery training. I am trying to get back on a bicycle to let my condition return to riding distances again. I will not make the Classic Seattle to Portland event this year, I know my knee and leg will not allow that distance this year.

The brooks will be an old friend, and right now I do not need the taint soreness distraction from the Vader saddle as I work on knee and leg recovery.

I have gotten off topic, but to sum it all up, I used the Vader saddles for many years and found them to be a cheap alternative to expensive medium weight saddles. I was riding @ 210 pounds, but now I have ballooned (with the lay off from November to March) to 234 without riding 3/4 times a week. It could be the extra size/weight that has made the Vader saddle less comfortable for me...

Cheap temporary Saddle I tried years ago, and found it was a good fit, kept replacing them year after year on the current bicycle I was riding.

JR
Old 03-25-17, 12:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Never heard of them , who made them?

buy and try.. your saddle is the thing under your arse, not mine.
you have to satisfy your own needs, popularity is immaterial there.

"Take offs" at the LBS are cheap and new to try by riding.

bike buyers just wanted as different saddle than came on it from the factory.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-25-17 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-25-17, 04:10 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Condorita
Darth makes saddles????
I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
Old 03-30-17, 05:47 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Never heard of them , who made them?

buy and try.. your saddle is the thing under your arse, not mine.
you have to satisfy your own needs, popularity is immaterial there.

"Take offs" at the LBS are cheap and new to try by riding.

bike buyers just wanted as different saddle than came on it from the factory.
fietsbob,

Look on ebay, Vader is a low end bicycle saddle (Knock off maybe). Link to the Black version I was using.
VADER Bike Bicycle Saddle Seat Pro Road MTB Sport Hollow Black soft Cushion Pad | eBay

Brooks was good today...

JR