Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do we want to ride faster?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do we want to ride faster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 11:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Uh, because.

Duh.
Old 04-25-17, 11:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Some rides are more social than others, but in my experience, even the most brutal race rides have some social component. There's a neutral rollout, the main ride part, regroup after the sprint(s), neutral rollback into town. I love those parts.
Group pee break?
Old 04-25-17, 11:26 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Why do you need more miles? What if you rode the exact same amount of time, but didn't go as far?
Because I see the same first 10-15 miles every ride and they are corn and bean fields.

Old 04-25-17, 11:28 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've never taken drugs in my life but I'd imagine endorphins come pretty damned close! They kick in only when you really push yourself on the bike, though. I highly recommend them.
Old 04-25-17, 11:33 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Group pee break?
On the Saturday ride, it's an out and back so if you have to go, you'll usually sit up before the first sprint and take a nature break and catch the group as they regroup.
Old 04-25-17, 11:35 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Yeah, I know, it's a mere 125 for me. I've tried to limit my race radius to 90 miles in the name of domestic peace and tranquility. It's a big spousal ask to be gone all day, although I may be able to swing it if I sell it as a father-son day out.

Ironically, the time I did ride the track was in Northbrook. We were visiting family in Chicago and I was able to do the Monday night beginner session. That was hella fun.

The older I get, the harder it is to spend a day or 2 out and away from home on a non work day too -- so I somewhat know the feeling
Old 04-25-17, 11:35 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
I've never taken drugs in my life but I'd imagine endorphins come pretty damned close! They kick in only when you really push yourself on the bike, though. I highly recommend them.
Nothing better than finishing a ride with that warm feeling in your legs and endorphins tapping into your brain feel-good receptors. Makes you want to go right back out.

Old 04-25-17, 11:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
I've never taken drugs in my life

Reported!
Old 04-25-17, 11:37 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Generally, because I am up against not making happy hour cut off at the bar.

But I generally don't care how fast I go. I ride at whatever pace seems comfortable. People are free to pass me as they see fit.
Old 04-25-17, 11:57 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Did he hit a nerve there?
I did, I guess. Enough for him to hurl a personal attack at me that is apparently fair game here.
Old 04-25-17, 11:57 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Why ride faster? What's wrong with just riding and enjoying the ride at whatever pace you happen to be going?
I'll turn this around on you... why worry about people who try to ride faster over time? I ride bikes but I also drive and enjoy cars. I don't go into the LCF forum and post questions about why people are trying to live without a car when they have the means to do so.

If people treat cycling as a competitive endeavor, good for them. Racing at an amateur level also shouldn't determine whether it's "ok" for someone to always be searching for gains in speed. It's like you want to split things up along forum lines ("happy, enjoy the scenery" riders in General, "serious racers" in the 33, "wannabe racers" in the 41). Racers, non-racers, scenery enjoyers, old, young, skinny, fat... we all have different reasons for getting on the bike. So long as we're actually on a bike, I don't see any reason to question the intentions or motivation of others.
Old 04-25-17, 11:58 AM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to ride faster so i can move up speed groups. I dont want to be stuck with the old, slow people....
Old 04-25-17, 12:05 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
I did my first sanctioned race in 1964, and I've always ridden at training pace, although I haven't raced for decades. Just went in for my first physical in 15 years (I'm almost 66 yo), and the GP said, "You're healthier than 99.999% of people your age."
Old 04-25-17, 12:10 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I usually have a limited time per day/week available to ride, so I try to go as hard as I can to get the most out of the exercise. I pass some cyclist, some cyclist pass me. I would not put me even close to the really fast riders around here.

...And, yes, I do envy the fast riders.
Old 04-25-17, 12:20 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
why worry about people who try to ride faster over time?
I can only assume it would have something to do with competition. The only people I know that care about how fast others are going are either people actually competing (sanctioned race) or pretend competing (Strava and the like).
Old 04-25-17, 12:23 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm not surprised, though, that the guy who's known for riding a steel bike and eating keto is starting a thread "Hey, everybody, wait! Slow down!"
Nice. I ride steel too but mine is the "new" steel.
Old 04-25-17, 12:25 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Based on the responses, I guess its safe to say then that if there weren't some level of pretend competition out there, then non racers would stop riding bikes for the most part?
Old 04-25-17, 12:40 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
What's wrong with just riding and enjoying the ride at whatever pace you happen to be going?
It's a loaded question.

Feeling the wind in your face and the fields rushing by is fun.
Hammering the Earth, putting the hill below you, resisting its resistance, is fun.
Watching the mountains animate, roll past, on a long descent is fun.
The thrill of a small group sprint, the structured paceline becomes fluid, a droplet clings on to a pack, trying to hang on, and to fight. That is fun.

I ride faster because sometimes I enjoy the ride more when I'm riding faster. Whether that's because I just want to see the world rush by, or because competition - whether against myself or others - is fun and demands speed.

Based on the responses, I guess its safe to say then that if there weren't some level of pretend competition out there, then non racers would stop riding bikes for the most part?
What's "pretend competition?"

Even if you take down Strava, and force people to ride alone, and destroy every timekeeping device in the world, and conceal the sun and moon and stars from the sky... we will still try to ride faster than we would be riding if we weren't pedaling harder than we are.
Old 04-25-17, 12:40 PM
WhyFi

I can only assume it would have something to do with competition. The only people I know that care about how fast others are going are either people actually competing (sanctioned race) or pretend competing (Strava and the like).
This is you not understanding the question.
Old 04-25-17, 12:47 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I mean, you posted the thread asking why people are always trying to go faster. It seems like you care about other people putting an emphasis on speed. I'm not saying you are trying to be "competitive", I'm just pointing out that your thread seems to be worrying about what other people are doing, just like people that are constantly measuring themselves against others using the metrics you pointed out.

I don't think that's a fair logical step. Like I was pointing out earlier, "pretend competition" also applies to sanctioned races in a way. Yea, you're pinning on a number, but I don't see any meaningful difference between someone who goes out and tries to beat people on Strava and someone who races every weekend. At the amateur level, we're just doing it for bragging rights, fun, and fitness, not a paycheck or our professional futures (for 99.999% of us, that is).

"Racers" and "non-racers" who are always worrying about Strava/Zwift or group ride sprints are measuring their own performance against that of others. I think there's this big stigma about people who don't race but do care about getting faster, and I don't see why that has to matter. I race, like I said, but I'm happy to see people enjoying cycling in different ways, even if that means just riding around taking pictures and never getting your heart rate up.

If you removed all social aspects of cycling (so, Strava, races, group rides, ect.), you would still be able to "compete" against yourself, so it's not about racers vs. non-racers, it's just about individual motivations.
Old 04-25-17, 12:54 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
No, it wouldn't be safe to say that. How in the hell did you even come up with nonsense like that?
Old 04-25-17, 12:58 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm just pointing out that your thread seems to be worrying about what other people are doing
You've misunderstood the intent. It's introspective question.

I'm asking if others have ever really put thought into why they desire to be faster on the bicycle. I understand that might cause some to involuntarily lash out just for suggesting such a question.

I don't see any meaningful difference between someone who goes out and tries to beat people on Strava and someone who races every weekend.
I'm sure others who desire to be faster but don't actually race, appreciate you saying that.

it's just about individual motivations.
That's what this thread is about. Looking at individual motivations versus manufactured ones.

Last edited by Jarrett2; 04-25-17 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 01:03 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
More miles in the same time = more calories burned (assuming the only variable is effort).

Most of us are doing this to get in shape and/or stay in shape. Going harder/faster is a better workout (again, generalizing).

To be fair, I push myself because I do race, but others who do not presumably have similar goals.
Or more of us are just commuting?
Old 04-25-17, 01:04 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I don't think I could just ride for the sake of riding, or to 'smell the roses.' I'd get bored within a week. So yes, wanting to ride faster is the only reason I ride*.

*Well, and to get to places, since I don't have a car.
Old 04-25-17, 01:04 PM
WhyFi

You've misunderstood the intent. It's introspective question.
Yeah. This thread is a vehicle for condemnation. You outed that yourself when you declared the 41 to be the "wannabe racer forum."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.