Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Blue Max Plateau EX

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Blue Max Plateau EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-12, 08:44 PM
mygirlpebbles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blue Max Plateau EX

Hello. I'm a newbie and posted last week asking for advice on choosing a new bike. I got some great suggestions and went with a Trek 7300 WSD.

I had an old Blue Max Plateau EX touring bike that I purchased new around 1989 stored in my garage with less than 20 miles on it. I put it on Craig's List last night for $50. A gentleman showed up this evening and bought it without even riding it. Now I'm thinking perhaps it was a "vintage" bike and worth a lot more. I Googled it and didn't find anything. Any thoughts?
Old 07-16-12, 08:57 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I would say, it is too late. it's gone. don't think about.

It sounds like it was a nice late 1980s chromoly touring machine which is highly coveted. If it really only had 30 miles on it, depending on specs I would say it was worth $300-600. I don't know the brand though to that is a pretty big maybe.
Old 07-16-12, 09:34 PM
mygirlpebbles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, Cyclotoine. You're right...it's gone. I should have researched it beforehand. But I never thought it would be worth anything. I bought it from ToysRUs. I road it around the block a few times and didn't like it. So it sat in my garage all these years. It was a really pretty coral/pink color 21 speed. Thanks again.
Old 07-16-12, 09:38 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Toys R US? You're safe in my books. Lets see the Trek build and never look back.
Old 07-17-12, 01:59 AM
realestvin7
Large Member

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The Blue Max bikes that I know of were rebranded mid level bikes aimed towards families on US Military bases. They were sold in the stores on or near the bases. Just check out what Blue Max BMX bikes go for. Their logo featured a Maltese cross.
Old 03-29-14, 02:49 PM
SpeedyRuskie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Cyclotoine!
I just happen to be riding a Plateau EX bike at this time ( in good condition), and was notified by a local shop that I should check into its value as I am riding a classic and coveted bike. How do I do this? I have googled it and only found the sites that simply explain what it is; It rides very well for me; it is one of the "handbuilt" Taiwanese frames, and is very fast!! I really do like this ride, but if it is worth what this bike mechanic seems to think, it might very well be worth a little effort to pursue it further. If you can help me, please let me know. Take care and Thanks!!
Old 03-29-14, 03:34 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,132 Posts
Post a few pictures on the "Classics and Vintage - What's it worth?" forum.
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries
Brent
Old 03-22-17, 07:52 PM
46BABY

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol

Let's just say I might have found your bike! LoL I might buy it too!
Old 03-26-17, 09:42 PM
mygirlpebbles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 46BABY
Let's just say I might have found your bike! LoL I might buy it too!
Really? Wow! What city/state?
Old 04-02-17, 07:53 PM
46BABY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mygirlpebbles
Really? Wow! What city/state?
Las Vegas Nevada Boii
Old 04-03-17, 07:27 PM
mygirlpebbles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Las Vegas Nevada Boii
If it's my old bike, it sure traveled far! I sold it in Bensalem, PA - a small suburb outside of Philadelphia. I'd love to see a pic if you have one to upload. Thanks!
Old 04-03-17, 07:46 PM
46BABY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's my old bike, it sure traveled far! I sold it in Bensalem, PA - a small suburb outside of Philadelphia. I'd love to see a pic if you have one to upload. Thanks!
How do I even upload photos? This place is pretty old school. It asked for URL?
Old 04-04-17, 09:35 AM
mygirlpebbles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How do I even upload photos? This place is pretty old school. It asked for URL?
I have no clue how to do it using URL. I've become softened by the ease of touch screens. Sorry.
If you buy the bike, I hope you enjoy many happy miles on it!
Old 05-13-17, 11:20 AM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Do not see any real information on the Blue Max Plateau EX - touring/hybrid bicycle in this old thread.

I found one here in Las Vegas, all the grease/lubricant was dried and everything needed cleaning and bearings were replaced. Changed out rotten rim strip with cloth, new tubes, and recent take off 700x32 tires.

Did a short ride yesterday, to check its rideability. This bicycle is geared so low I had to keep it in the 42 chain ring to ride, appears this bicycle would be @ home fully loaded for stealth camping/touring or climbing vertical mountains.

Would like to know the seatpost particulars, as I broke the seatpost bolt trying to tighten a slipping saddle. I still can not tighten the replacement properly. Saddle slowly sinks approximately an inch every 15 miles.

This is the first non Road bicycle I have ridden since 2010, the longer wheel base, curved fork with a straight handlebar, combined with the 700x32 larger tires and low speed drive train did not enamor my bicycle ride comfort for this bicycle. I purchased this bicycle as a Grocery getter, yes, ride to store chain-up bicycle purchase grocery and bring them home on a sturdy bicycle.

Seems it will accomplish the task of hauling groceries on a yet to be installed rear rack, but if this bicycle has any value, maybe that is not its proper role as a knowledgeable bicycle thief might decide it is free money temporally tied to a bicycle rack. Any real thoughts about this bicycle brand with a great Maltese cross logo

JR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Blue_Max-01.jpg (21.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg
Blue_Max-02.jpg (20.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-12-17, 02:15 PM
guapoztec

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I'm a newbie...found this post regarding the Blue Max Plateau. I bought Mine around 1990 from Montgomery Wards, about a year before they went out of business here. It's a 21 speed, white with pinkish red lettering. It is a hand welded Taiwanese bike made for a bicycle shop in Camarillo, CA. The material used is called Allolite, which I don't think is chromoly, just steel. Over the course of time, I've modified it with rapid shifters, etc. About 4 years ago, I converted it into an electric bike and changed the handle bar plus adding a stem so it I ride more upright. It's still going strong! I have the original bearings, all clean and lubbed.
Old 09-12-17, 02:33 PM
guapoztec

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. I'm a newbie and posted last week asking for advice on choosing a new bike. I got some great suggestions and went with a Trek 7300 WSD.

I had an old Blue Max Plateau EX touring bike that I purchased new around 1989 stored in my garage with less than 20 miles on it. I put it on Craig's List last night for $50. A gentleman showed up this evening and bought it without even riding it. Now I'm thinking perhaps it was a "vintage" bike and worth a lot more. I Googled it and didn't find anything. Any thoughts?
Hello, I doubt it is a "vintage" bike. I have one and the label says, in part, "Allolite". I think it's a marketing name that is just really steel. It's not a light bike but it is very sturdy. I bought mine around 1990 and made modifications over the course of time. The last "big" modification was making it an electric bike. I live in a hilly area and this made it such a pleasure to ride anywhere!
Old 12-29-18, 10:13 AM
Doc67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The blue max

The blue max