Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2009 SST 1.0 with FC-440 fork that is cut to short

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-27-17, 11:28 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I have FC-440 Fuji Carbon Monocoque Integrated 1 1/8" Carbon steerer that is cut to short, where can I purchase another one?

Or can I replace it with a FC-770 Fuji Bonded Carbon Integrated w/ 1 1/8" Alloy Steerer.

I know the FC-770 will be heavier, hopefully as strong, but I now need a taller fork to relax my riding position.

I like the look of this SST bicycle with the level top bar, instead of the curved top bar on the later frames. The stiffness of this frame and and massive Praxis works Zayante cranks let me put power into driving the bicycle forward. But I have aged, and need to ride a bit more relaxed, instead of trying to stay in a sprint position.

Maybe it is time to let this bicycle go, but it has become a close friend, I like the ride, looks, handling, but I am not as supple to stay in an aggressive riding position for hours. Rather than let this friend go, a 2.5 - 5 cm might make all the difference in the world to keep this friend.

JR

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64495513@N08/14594041410
Old 08-28-17, 04:18 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
You could try shifting 2 of the spacers on top of the stem to below the stem and flip the stem to face up. That looks like it will get you about 25mm more rise. You could also get a stem with more rise if you need it. I'd try those simple changes before buying a new fork.
Old 08-28-17, 05:28 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Your bike has the largest saddle to bar drop that I have ever seen outside of professional bike racers, I can understand how this can be uncomfortable. The problem with purchasing a new carbon fork is they have a limit on how many spacers that can be used below and above the stem. If you need 50 mm more I am pretty sure you are going to exceed it. I will let the carbon fork gurus advise you if it can work. My advice, sell the bike and buy something that is more comfortable, your body will thank you.
Old 08-28-17, 05:47 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Nashbar sells a 1-1/8" carbon leg/aluminum alloy steerer fork for about $100 that should allow you to have a longer steerer and also safely allow a taller spacer column. Look here:
Nashbar Carbon Road Bike Fork
Old 08-28-17, 08:45 AM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
You could try shifting 2 of the spacers on top of the stem to below the stem and flip the stem to face up. That looks like it will get you about 25mm more rise. You could also get a stem with more rise if you need it. I'd try those simple changes before buying a new fork.
I have changed the spacers about since the pictures were taken to get the maxim height from this fork.

JR
Old 08-28-17, 09:26 AM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Your bike has the largest saddle to bar drop that I have ever seen outside of professional bike racers, I can understand how this can be uncomfortable. The problem with purchasing a new carbon fork is they have a limit on how many spacers that can be used below and above the stem. If you need 50 mm more I am pretty sure you are going to exceed it. I will let the carbon fork gurus advise you if it can work. My advice, sell the bike and buy something that is more comfortable, your body will thank you.
You are not helping with what I want to read, really hate to let go of this bicycle. This has been my go to bicycle found it a better ride, with agility, and performance that the 2006 Orbea Orca did not provide. Have recently built a Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur that provides an entirely different ride, so have a few bicycles to ride, in the mean time, will weigh my decision on letting this bicycle go. Maybe more yoga to increase my flexibility again and not worry about the fork height...

JR
Old 08-29-17, 03:06 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeebus!>!>!>>!>

That bike is WAY... WAY TOO SMALL for you.

Why would you ever ride a bike like that? It's gotta have at least an 8 inch saddle to bar drop.

Obviously you don't like the fit of the bike, and that is the determining factor for whether or not you'll "like" a bike.

At what point when you decided to buy an 18 inch long seat post and inches of spacers for the fork do you think "HM, maybe this bike is too small for me..."

Reminds me of a bike that came into the shop the other day. Frame was 14 inches. However, the seatpost was ~18 inches long and it had literally (I'm not joking) 5 inches of spacers under the stem. My first words were "why?" and "at what point do you say "this frame is too small for me?""

If the bike doesn't fit you correctly, it's not a good bike for you.

Buy something more reasonable that fits. Be happy.
Old 09-06-17, 03:47 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the opinions and information.
Old 09-06-17, 10:42 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I agree that the bike setup looks really off. The part that confuses me is the incredibly high saddle with the extremely short stem. Perhaps you have an very exceptionally short torso relative to your leg length.

Anyhow, as a technical answer, you can replace the fork with any road fork with a 1 1/4" steerer. Different manufacturers specify different amounts of maximum stack height. Quick googling specifies that Fuji recommends no more than 40mm of spacers on carbon steerers--it was unclear to me what they recommend for alloy steerers. Frequently but no always alloy steerers have greater maximum stack heights. Also, you should try to relatively closely match both the axle to crown measurement and the rake of the forks if you would like to maintain similar handling. The easiest/cheapest option to raise your handlebars would be to buy a very high rise stem. Many manufacturers make 40 degree stems. Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net is a very useful to to find a stem that will make the desired change in your position.

In truth the best thing you could do for your cycling performance is to see an experienced bicycle fitter and buy a bike that can be made to fit you ideally.
Old 09-07-17, 05:17 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
I agree that you could start with a different bike that comes closer to fitting you. If you put this one up for sale, I advise lowering the saddle and replacing the stem for pics. As it sits now, it may scare off potential buyers.
Old 09-13-17, 02:43 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The SST 1.0 is a 59 CM bicycle, and a 61 KHS Classic hanging on the wall is to to tall for me to ride... Difference is in frame construction I believe, top bar is about 1 inch higher from ground...

I ride my 58 cm Basso Gap most every day while I am recovering from eye lid surgery, it also has a tall seat ratio to bars with short downward angled quil. Fuji and I have been to the bike fitter several times with different saddles and pedal styles. I did give up on a smaller 57 cm KHS flite 500 with similar tall seatpost configuration and short stem. The 57 cm flite 500 had horrid toe overlap for me, and after several slow speed falls on the Hoover Dam climbs that cracked a bone near the elbow climbing up to Boulder city, it was let go, shipped to portland as a quick sale.

I have just completed a Campy 10 speed Ridley Excalibur Road Bike build (L) and the frame's top bar is just low enough enough to ride if i am careful, I will try it tomorrow on a short 10-15 mile test ride. Might use it in the "3 Feet for Pete" event Saturday (2017-16-09) if test ride is OK, is tomorrow, or I will use the Basso Gap instead.

Wow, what a pleasure to ride the Ridley today (2017 - Sept-16), I normally use Carbon Drop Bars and the Campagnolo bicycle with its Alloy bars did not give me the anticipated road Buzz in my neck and shoulders. I did not find anything to complain about with the Excalibur, ride was smooth as silk, shifting was positive, smooth and precise. Have a new ride, while i fiddle with a new alloy steerer in the new fuji fork. Again thank you for the information provided.

Again thanks to everyone for the comments.

JR

Last edited by Namida12; 09-16-17 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 12:08 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt--perhaps you have an exceptionally short torso relative to your leg length. It seems like you spend a fair amount of money on road bikes. You may seriously benefit from a custom frame if the setup of that SST is anywhere near appropriate for you.