Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cold weather cycling gloves - recommendation wanted

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-18, 10:46 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

I'm going to be doing some cold weather riding - nothing below zero but between 0 and 12 degrees Celsius and am looking for suggestion on cycling gloves. I will not be wearing the gloves for daily commutes or anything like that. Just for the odd Saturday ride when the sun is shining and the roads are dry. Thank you,
Old 11-23-18, 11:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts

Pearl Izumi lobster gloves plus bar mitts for straight or drop bars
Old 11-23-18, 12:34 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I'm going to be doing some cold weather riding - nothing below zero but between 0 and 12 degrees Celsius and am looking for suggestion on cycling gloves. I will not be wearing the gloves for daily commutes or anything like that. Just for the odd Saturday ride when the sun is shining and the roads are dry. Thank you,
In that range, I just wear PI Elite Soft-shells, but that's also a temp where there's going to be a lot of variation from person-to-person. Some people want their hands toasty whereas I'm mainly concerned about frostbite, which isn't an issue at the temps being discussed.
Old 11-23-18, 01:22 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
For that range (32-52f) similarly to WhyFi I like something like a wind proof shell glove that you can wear a thin liner glove with to cover a wide range of conditions. I have capo Lombardia lf gloves with icebreaker merino liners. At the upper end of that range I’ll just wear something like knit Defeet dura gloves, I really like how these feel on the bars with their grippy textured palms.

Last edited by MagicHour; 11-23-18 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-23-18, 01:30 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 122 Posts
Rag wool thinsulated gloves only thing ones that work. I know i have raunards syndrome and can ride with them all winter.
Old 11-23-18, 02:35 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I wear this type as a liner to extend temperature range.

Works well under regular half finger gloves for cold mornings, under mtn bike gloves cold days, & under insulated gloves for real cold.

Also good for wet, & bonus keeps your hands clean with mechanicals.

https://www.amazon.com/JORESTECH-Dip...m+gloves&psc=1
Old 11-23-18, 03:53 PM
Johnny Rad

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I'm a big fan of Craft Hybrid gloves for temps above ~39F (4C).

Despite their looks, they're surprisingly effective. They've got a slick "roll away" mitten bit is allegedly water- and wind-resistant. It really works.

Each of the thumbs employs the usual soft material that's perfect for working on drippy noses.

https://www.backcountry.com/craft-hybrid-weather-glove
Old 11-23-18, 04:22 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 370 Posts
I hate to say it, but go on Amazon and buy multiple types and find one you like. I consider cycling gloves to be throw-away items since they tend to smell even if washed regularly so I don't buy expensive ones anymore. Maybe cold weather gloves a little less so, but I still had to throw away my pair from last winter. I've replaced them with two that alternate between washings.
Old 11-23-18, 09:17 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
I used to use lobster claw gloves over liner gloves for riding in the depths of winter, but I've always hated how "dumb" and restricted my hands feel in lobster claws. This year I've gone five-fingered all the way, and the reason it works is because I've made sure to get the largest possible exterior gloves to make for more of an air pocket for my fingers to roam around in. Tightness is the enemy of warmth, as they say.

I wear my regular summer cycling gloves, and then I put on a pair of liner gloves in my normal size that are actually quite light. And then on top of that I add a third layer, namely an XXL pair of MEC Goto Fleece Gloves. For $19 you can't go wrong. I wear this setup down to -5C for an hour and a half, and my fingers feel completely fine. Just make sure that you get the sleeves of your various upper body layers overlapping above and under the openings of the gloves to keep things airtight.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5042-6...-Fleece-Gloves
Old 11-23-18, 11:25 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

I would go this route. At those temperatures, finding a glove that isn’t too bulky can be a drag. Also, with this setup, you can can to a lighter or thicker glove if the the temperature changes.
Old 11-24-18, 01:05 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62

I would go this route. At those temperatures, finding a glove that isn’t too bulky can be a drag. Also, with this setup, you can can to a lighter or thicker glove if the the temperature changes.
I get the glove setup but....is that yogurt?
Old 11-24-18, 01:10 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
Lol - it looks like a homemade modifier to reduce spread on the headlight.
Old 11-24-18, 03:55 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22641 Post(s)
Liked 8,953 Times in 4,173 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Lol - it looks like a homemade modifier to reduce spread on the headlight.
Helps the light to stay, ahem, regular.
Old 11-24-18, 04:50 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

yup beam cut off hood. That headlight also has a wide angle lens. Combined they do a really nice job. Perfectly in fact. Need to shop for a black container to cut up
Old 11-24-18, 05:06 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

yup beam cut off hood. That headlight also has a wide angle lens. Combined they do a really nice job. Perfectly in fact. Need to shop for a black container to cut up
Very MacGyver like. Nice.
Old 11-24-18, 05:18 PM
rumrunn6

Very MacGyver like. Nice.
haha yup the idea is courtesy of some other forum member and yet another member perfected it w metallic tape instead of stapled foil. This is what the beam looks like
Old 11-25-18, 01:05 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Great suggestion folks. Thanks!
@Johnny Rad those Craft gloves look interesting. Ever had any issues with that bib-part that covers the fingers getting in the way of shifting or applying the brakes?

@rousseau those gloves from MEC might just do the trick. Especially since MEC is here in Canada and their return policy if kick ass should the gloves become defective at some point or not meet my requirements.

@WhyFi the shell idea is a good one too. Being able to build layers up underneath is a good idea. Plus the gloves might see wider use since I can bulk up or bulk down depending on the weather conditions.
Old 11-26-18, 10:53 PM
Johnny Rad

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Great suggestion folks. Thanks!
@Johnny Rad those Craft gloves look interesting. Ever had any issues with that bib-part that covers the fingers getting in the way of shifting or applying the brakes?
No issues with the mitten part.
Old 11-27-18, 05:08 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 82 Posts
I use a pair of winter cycling gloves from aldi that cost me £5 in temps lower than 5*C. If it's really cold, I put a pair of a silk liners underneath. I've used them down to -4*. Between 5-12, I use a pair of altura nightvision windproof gloves, with liners and/or wool over gloves depending on temps.
Old 11-27-18, 09:07 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I picked up a pair of these Head brand gloves at Costco. I figured at the price it was worth a try. I’ve ridden with them in temps down to the low 40’s F and they’re great. They have the electronic sensitive finger tips but I don’t have much use for that. I especially like their trim fit so they feel very tactile and don’t muffle the feedback while riding. I can’t say whether or not they offer any rain protection, but that’s not something I worry about. Overall, I feel like they’re a great value.

-Kedosto
Old 11-27-18, 09:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7355 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,445 Posts
I wear Gordini Stash Lite Mitts which I think are meant for skiing. They are paper thin, so I wouldn't expect them to work well, but they do. They are immensely roomy inside, so I wiggle my fingers a lot. They are so thin and baggy I can put them on and take them off while riding. These get me down to about 30ºF.

Below that, I wear lobster claws.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-30-18, 11:00 AM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
I'm a big fan of Craft Hybrid gloves for temps above ~39F (4C).
Despite their looks, they're surprisingly effective. They've got a slick "roll away" mitten bit is allegedly water- and wind-resistant. It really works.
Each of the thumbs employs the usual soft material that's perfect for working on drippy noses.
https://www.backcountry.com/craft-hybrid-weather-glove
The warmest biking gloves I could find that also let me operate brifters on a road bike are the "Craft Ventair X-Wind Winter Glove" but when I went to look them up online it's look like they stopped making them. :-/
Old 11-30-18, 11:02 AM
PaulRivers

Haha wow how much overkill would that be...it would be like wearing a full parka and snow shoes on a 95 and sunny tropical beach.

From the title I thought they would be asking about minnesota level temps but I noticed in the post it's 0-12 celsius - which is about 32-54f fahrenheit.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 11-30-18 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-30-18, 01:45 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Haha wow how much overkill would that be...it would be like wearing a full parka and snow shoes on a 95 and sunny tropical beach.From the title I thought they would be asking about minnesota level temps but I noticed in the post it's 0-12 celsius - which is about 32-54f fahrenheit.
eh, sometimes my advice & shared experiences hit the mark & sometimes I'm way off
Old 12-02-18, 10:35 PM
PaulRivers

eh, sometimes my advice & shared experiences hit the mark & sometimes I'm way off
I have to apologize a bit...when I read this post originally I couldn't see the pics. I didn't know they were there and pictured the big heavy insulated kind which...I realized is completely innacurate.

That's pretty interesting. You can't use brifters with thick insulated gloves, I had always wondered if there was a way to keep the hands warm on a road bike and still be able to shift.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.