Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo record 9 speed left lever replacement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 06:33 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Campagnolo record 9 speed left lever, has stopped working. Will not shift up or down. Have been watching ebay for a year and never see a left black carbon Record unit for sale. Major problem, bicycle is about 30 minutes west of Portland, while I am in Las Vegas,NV and family in North West does not know how to remove cable and lever off bicycle. Is there a decent suggestion for a Portland area Campagnolo Shop that family can take the bicycle to that maybe can repair the older left shifter, or can I purchase an 8 or 10 speed lever and have any shop replace?

Or does a member have a good left 9 speed lever in tool box they would be willing to part with, to assist this long distance repair? I want to use the bicycle in the July 2019 Seattle to Portland ride.

JR
Old 01-14-19, 11:11 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Almost all older Campagnolo left Ergopower shifters are micro-ratcheting. That is, unlike STI, there are no discrete big and small ring positions, but a series of small clicks that take you between the chainrings.

So you don't strictly need a 9-speed Campagnolo Record carbon left unit, but the similarly shaped left shifters Mirage and up will perform identically. Just make sure you get an Ultrashift shifter, and not one of the horrid 'Escape' units.

If you really really need a functional and cosmetically matching Record left shifter, I would expect to pay in excess of $200. I see new Mirage left shifters for like: $50.

Installation: roughly 1 in 100 shops will have experience installing Ergopower shifters. It takes less than an hour if you are somewhat competent. Be prepared for most shops indicating that your quest is hopeless, and you need a new bike.
Old 01-15-19, 08:30 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
An Ultrashift lever that's in the 2008-2014 model years would probably work, since it would have 5 clicks to operate the FD and more than enough travel. The brake hoods however are shaped quite a bit different than the older levers.

There's a Campy expert and former shop owner who posts on the paceline forum under the name old potatoe.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...lever+overhaul

He could probably fix the lever. Taking it off is relatively simple. A 5mm hex wrench slipped under the hood at the right place will unscrew the single bolt holding it in place. Any bike shop should be able to figure that out.

There's a wealth of info on you tube, just search for campy ergo lever removal.

I've repaired an ergo lever before, but I wised up and switched to ultrashift levers, back in 2008. At some point you have to give up on the old stuff and move on to a modern 11 speed drivetrain,
Old 01-15-19, 07:54 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I just finished up a hard 50 miler on a bike with a 9-speed Campagnolo Veloce drivetrain. The shifting was brilliant. I don't know how mechanical shifting could get any better. I spend most of 2018 on a new Shimano 11-speed drivetrain, and the Veloce Ultrashift puts Shimano to shame.
I have a stash of shifter overhaul parts including G-springs, which means that the inexpensive Veloce units will deliver shifting perfection indefinitely. So resist temptations to 'upgrade', and just repair what you've got. Campagnolo perfected mechanical shifting circa 1995; in terms of shifting speed, accuracy, reliability.
Old 01-15-19, 09:18 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
You can just get another (non-escape) 9s or 10s round-topped left lever of whatever grade, and swap the brake blade. Hey presto, cosmetic match (assuming the flipper looks the same).
Old 01-16-19, 07:01 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Here is a parts list diagram from the Campy website from 2006 (9spd era). All parts beginning with RE are Record, CH= Chorus etc (DA=Daytona/Centaur). As you can see the guts of a Mirage shifter are basically Record all the way save for the carbon leaver and the pivot in the body of Record (and Chorus) was a ball bearing whereas Centaur and below used a brass bushing. Presumably the bearing is smoother and longer lasting but I doubt you'd feel the difference in a left shifter. So yeah, get any left shifter of that era and change the blade to use the record carbon one.
Old 01-16-19, 10:28 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
I have a pair of used Centaur 10spd brifters and a NOS Mirage 9spd brifter set, neither of which I will ever use for $55 for either shipping included.
Both are Ergopower. Respond to sch1943atgmail. This includes R and L brifters.