Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain Lube Suggestions?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain Lube Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-20, 04:01 PM
ember1205

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain Lube Suggestions?

Predominantly will be riding in nice weather along bike paths and reclaimed rail beds ("rail trails"). Have always preferred something that prevented collecting dust and such, but I'm wondering what the current preferences are in the world of chain lube, especially dry.

What one do you use (or recommend for me), and -why-? In other words, why would you recommend the one you do versus a competing product that's similar?
Old 04-30-20, 04:07 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
If you don’t want a dirty chain and you will be in mostly dry conditions, a wax based lube works well. You will get many, many opinions, and many suggesting a crockpot and blocks of wax. Go get a bottle of Squirt and don’t look back.
Old 04-30-20, 04:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry. I've been using it for a few months on one bike. Closest thing I've found to hot wax dipping. It appears to be just PTFE powder suspended in red-tinted naphtha, but it works. Very slick. Doesn't attract much road grit -- when I wipe the chain with my bare fingers it feels slick and waxy, but little or no grit compared with other wet lubes.

Only drawback is it doesn't seem to last longer per application, so I reapply every 2-3 rides (usually 20-50 miles per ride).

I might try Rock 'n' Roll Gold next. Reportedly similar, lasts longer per application. Both the Gold and Absolute Dry rank among the lowest friction lubes in tests.

Cleanest, by far, is melted wax/paraffin. Lots of previous threads on this, pro and con, plain wax or with additives such as PTFE, moly, etc. I mostly switched to paraffin 2-3 years ago to reduce chain tattoos since my bikes are in the apartment with three cats who rub against everything. At worst a waxed chain will leave a smudge like graphite from pencil sharpener shavings -- it rubs right off with a dry napkin. Lasts 100-500 miles per waxing, depending on who you ask. Prep to strip a new chain for waxing is a PITA, but after that's done the rest is easy -- just use a small crock pot like a Little Dipper. Anyway, waxing has been done to death so check the many previous threads.

TBH, tho', I can't feel or measure much difference in rides using waxed chains, R'n'R Absolute Dry, White Lightning wax in solvent, Boeshield T-9, etc., compared with my one bike that still runs wet lube -- Park CL-1. The hybrid/errand bike with Park CL-1 usually needs attention only once or twice a year. It runs quietly and smoothly. Rain doesn't easily wash out the lube and, if anything, a good drenching seems to clean the chain a bit. I doubt my old legs generate enough power to tell the difference between any magical chain potion. If my bikes could live in a garage I'd probably stick with something simple like Park CL-1, Chain-L, or the mythical NFS.
Old 04-30-20, 04:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I personally use Finish Line Ceramic Wax Lube and it works well for me and I kind of stopped my lube pursuit there after trying a few things. Though many of the wax lubes out there will work great.

I would love to actually try waxing a chain just to try it but haven't had the energy to do it.
Old 04-30-20, 05:18 PM
SlvrDragon50

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Chain-L works great for me, but it's a little more of a nuisance to apply than other lubes. If you don't wipe it off after it soaks in, it'll be sticky and would not mesh well with dust.
Likes For SlvrDragon50:
Old 04-30-20, 06:16 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I use Clean Ride wax based on my mountain bikes and road bikes. It keeps things clean but doesn’t last long. I decided to go with an oil line on my road bikes. Cleaning a chain is easy compared to cleaning chainrings and cassettes. I’m back to a wax lube, but may look for one that lasts longer.

John
Old 04-30-20, 07:10 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I switched over to Squirt a few years ago and haven't found any reason to try anything else. It does need to be applied fairly frequently but it runs very clean so you don't have to wash off the old that often.
Old 04-30-20, 07:39 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by ember1205
Predominantly will be riding in nice weather along bike paths and reclaimed rail beds ("rail trails"). Have always preferred something that prevented collecting dust and such, but I'm wondering what the current preferences are in the world of chain lube, especially dry.

What one do you use (or recommend for me), and -why-? In other words, why would you recommend the one you do versus a competing product that's similar?
General rule is dry lubes don't attract as much dirt, but wash off quickly in rain. Wet lubes attract dirt, but survive rain better. Some people that use dry lube carry a tiny bottle of wet lube in case they get caught in rain.
Old 04-30-20, 07:52 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
2 of my friends like rock n roll gold. It seems to have a dual action clean and lube. You’ll use quite a bit so it can get slightly pricy. But it runs clean.

I use MoltenSpeedWax and occasionally squirt. My chain seems to get loud and rattly after just 50-60 miles. A tiny bit squeaky after 120-150miles. I have 2 friends who have the same experience as I do. Maybe I just never degreased it totally. But I used soap water, 2xdegreaser, 2x mineral spirits and 2x rubbing alcohol 🤷‍♂️. Don’t mean to turn this into yet another waxing debate but it really isn’t as magical as I thought it would be. Not nearly as fast as the chain feels during a proper downpour 😂. The rust after is no good either.

I’d recommend something that isn’t wax based, as those work best on chains that have been stripped bare, at which point you may as well go hot wax.

I also never liked finish line dry. Gets oddly grimy.

Wend wax also seems to be a lowkey scam that just suppresses sound and vibration but doesn’t actually lubricate the chain. So low perceived friction but high actual friction. Some people swear by it though 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by smashndash; 04-30-20 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-30-20, 08:59 PM
shine2000

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use finish line dry lube works great
Old 05-01-20, 06:23 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
WD-40 Bike Dry, works reasonably well, But like I have found with most dry lubes you need to apply it more often.
And it has a pleasant odor.
Any lube is better than no lube.
Old 05-01-20, 08:34 AM
ember1205

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations, especially the few that specifically called out Squirt. I had read about it, but the fact that seems to be a common one to be mentioned makes me think it's a good place to start. I was considering something in a Ceramic (like one of the Muc-Off dry ones) style "just because", but I'll start with the Squirt instead.

I know I have a bottle of "something" from about 20 years ago that I've used over the years, but I haven't ridden in quite a while and honestly don't remember where it is. If I find it, maybe THAT is what I'll start back out with.
Old 05-01-20, 09:12 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Chainsaw bar oil mix with unscented mineral spirits. Wipe the chain down after a few rides. After 800 miles remove the chain clean it, dry it and install and lube it. repeat.
Old 05-01-20, 09:26 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I switched over to Squirt a few years ago and haven't found any reason to try anything else. It do -es need to be applied fairly frequently but it runs very clean so you don't have to wash off the old that often.
Squirt appears to be similar to the old Pedro's Ice Wax.. wax and water-based formulas both. So a watchout on this type of formula is recommended dry time of overnight for water to evaporate

Trying out Pedros newer Slick Wax -- seems good so far. Wax is in alcohol-based (fast drying) formula, so can apply not too much before heading out on a ride. Comes in a 32oz bottle option too, if you're really a heavy user and want more price efficiency.
Old 05-01-20, 10:30 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Likes For HillRider:
Old 05-01-20, 02:45 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I use a homemade wax lube that does not attract dirt. 4 parts paraffin to 1 part heavy gear lube. Melt together and mix with 3-6 parts naphtha/white gas/camp stove fuel. If all ingredients are put in a container, the paraffin will dissolve, but it takes quite awhile.
Old 05-01-20, 05:04 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Molten Speed Wax for the win!
Old 05-01-20, 06:40 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
WD-40 Bike Dry, works reasonably well, But like I have found with most dry lubes you need to apply it more often.
And it has a pleasant odor.
Any lube is better than no lube.
I use WD40 Bike Wet chain lube. Seems to do a fine job too. I'll wipe the chain down every 200 - 300 km and relube. I bought it because thats all Canadian Tire had. If I were in the bike shop I'd buy what they recommend. I'm pretty sure for 90% of us it makes little difference. Any reputable brand should be good if you get the right lube (wet or dry) from them.

The important point is to do it I think keeping the chain reasonably clean and lubed not only makes peddling easier and smoother, But extends the life of the chain, chainring, cassette or rear sprocket.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 05-02-20 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-01-20, 06:53 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
I have used ATF automatic transmission fluid. I put some on a rag a run the chain through it. I apply it as light as possible. Been using it for 30 years. I don’t ride in loose dirt or mud. It does not dry out but can be cleaned off if needed.
EddyR
Old 05-01-20, 10:20 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
T9 Boeshield. It's a great dry lubricant and is found in most hardware stores, so no need to find a specialized LBS
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 05-02-20, 10:20 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
You don't need popcorn you need a wide s... shovel.
Old 05-02-20, 11:42 AM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

Bikes: 2 custom built full Carbon road bikes, built by Moi...

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I have tried many different chain lubes over the years, wet, dry, silicon based, graphite based and so forth. Ditto on MarcusT comment...

I recently swapped over to Bioshield T-9, a paraffin wax based lube, one drop per link, goes on wet, dries in two hours, then a quick wipe off of any excess. Hands down the best. Chain, cassette and chainrings stay clean looking and no DIRT....
Old 05-02-20, 12:04 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I went on a dirty ride yesterday and decided to hose off the bike. After hosing off I wiped the chain down with a towel. There was no chain mark. I use Squirt as I said above, and it really does stay clean, the dirt just falls off with the wax. I then ran my hand over the chain, and even my hand stayed clean. What was dirty were the chainrings but not even the cassette.
Old 05-02-20, 06:28 PM
ridinginjeans

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Concorde PRX, Scott Scale 29er, Santa Cruz Tall Boy, Blue Norcross EX

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I have used T-9 for a long time and have had great success. I do re-lube quite regularly, which means a bottle doesn't last that long. But it cleans the chain nicely.

A friend suggested Squirt so I tried it but didn't have much success. Chain seemed gunky. Stopped using it and went back to T-9.

Full disclosure: Just bought some Rock 'n Roll Gold, as that has a better ranking in the chain lube analysis by Friction Facts. Supposedly it too cleans the chain while lubing it...
Old 05-03-20, 10:01 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
You can have a clean chain, or one that lasts several thousand miles. You cant have both. A chain is a machine and needs oil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.