Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ever order from Serbia? How’d that go?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ever order from Serbia? How’d that go?

Old 06-05-20, 01:07 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I've sent bicycle parts to three different members in the past couple of months. That's going from Canada to the United States and I think that the old Pony Express would have been faster for delivery. Canada Post was even advising not sending small parcels because the postal system was so overloaded.

I guess the mantra these days is "Expect Delays".

Cheers
Somebody on the inside of Canada Post told me that things got real tough during the peak. The disruption continues.
Old 06-05-20, 01:54 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Right. So Italy has five times as much theft per capita as the Eastern European country in question. The only way you can say Serbians are more likely to be selling bicycles stolen from Italy than Italians selling bicycles stolen from Italy, is if you assume that people from a nation with 1/5 the average theft are committing five times as many crimes abroad.
Yet you're not questioning the reputation of the sellers in Italy.
Total nonsense.
Again, you are arriving at inaccurate conclusions (for one reason or another), and then making accusations based on those nonsensical conclusions.

Crime rates? Those statistics generally include a broad spectrum of "crimes" (or in this case thefts), so you have to dig a little deeper. Italy is actually a very safe place, and even big cities like Rome have inflated numbers due to the large number of petty crimes that take place, many of them related to the huge numbers of tourists visiting every year.

But we are talking specifically about C&V bike parts, no? We know that cycling has always been a hugely popular sport in Italy, and we know that Italy was known for building some of the world's best bikes and components during the period that is now considered C&V. Were people riding bikes in Eastern Europe? Sure they were. Was Italy more open to trading with Eastern European and Communist countries compared to other Western countries that implemented embargoes or trade restrictions? Yes. Does that account for the relatively large number of C&V parts being sold out of Eastern Europe (and no, we aren't talking about new production decals (licensed?) or parts)? I'm skeptical.

Earlier you claimed that the idea of organized crime rings stealing bikes from Western Europe and bringing them to Eastern Europe was akin to using drugs. I then posted three links (which took 2 minutes to find) that proved evidence that it is indeed a real phenomenon, and you simply decided to continue accusing me of bias, ignoring those links completely.
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 06-05-20, 02:06 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Earlier you claimed that the idea of organized crime rings stealing bikes from Western Europe and bringing them to Eastern Europe was akin to using drugs. I then posted three links (which took 2 minutes to find) that proved evidence that it is indeed a real phenomenon, and you simply decided to continue accusing me of bias, ignoring those links completely.
I read the links. It's very interesting. But you are still being extremely biased if you want to suggest worrying about stolen goods being sold via eBay from Serbia versus Italy, or Lithuania versus England, or wherever... Bicycle theft is a really big problem in urban England, France, and Italy. A vast majority of it is obviously domestic.

https://worldcrunch.com/culture-soci...0least%20once.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ol%20of%2022m.

I'm not arguing against the idea that there is some organized crime surrounding bicycle parts, and certainly some of it must be based in eastern Europe. But there's absolutely no reason to focus on eastern Europe as if it is some kind of endemic problem unique to that area.

Your initial post said you thought that much of the stuff being sold in eastern Europe may have been stolen. If you honestly believe that, then the same statement should apply to bicycle parts being sold in most of Europe, the United States, and perhaps anywhere in the world.

So, what's your point?
Old 06-05-20, 02:08 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3862 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
I remind us all (ahem) that public forums are a tricky place to be when you're feeling easily provoked. I suggest a walk around the block...
Me: Walk?! Walk?!
​​​​​
Dave's dad: Refund?! Refund?!

Jim Mora: Playoffs?! Playoffs?!

Allen Iverson: Practice? Practice?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-05-20, 02:19 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I read the links. It's very interesting. But you are still being extremely biased if you want to suggest worrying about stolen goods being sold via eBay from Serbia versus Italy, or Lithuania versus England, or wherever... Bicycle theft is a really big problem in urban England, France, and Italy. A vast majority of it is obviously domestic.

I'm not arguing against the idea that there is some organized crime surrounding bicycle parts, and certainly some of it must be based in eastern Europe. But there's absolutely no reason to focus on eastern Europe as if it is some kind of endemic problem unique to that area.

Your initial post said you thought that much of the stuff being sold in eastern Europe may have been stolen. If you honestly believe that, then the same statement should apply to bicycle parts being sold in most of Europe, the United States, and perhaps anywhere in the world.

So, what's your point?
Again, you are arriving at inaccurate conclusions (for one reason or another), and then making accusations based on those nonsensical conclusions.

Crime rates? Those statistics generally include a broad spectrum of "crimes" (or in this case thefts), so you have to dig a little deeper. Italy is actually a very safe place, and even big cities like Rome have inflated numbers due to the large number of petty crimes that take place, many of them related to the huge numbers of tourists visiting every year.

But we are talking specifically about C&V bike parts, no? We know that cycling has always been a hugely popular sport in Italy, and we know that Italy was known for building some of the world's best bikes and components during the period that is now considered C&V. Were people riding bikes in Eastern Europe? Sure they were. Was Italy more open to trading with Eastern European and Communist countries compared to other Western countries that implemented embargoes or trade restrictions? Yes. Does that account for the relatively large number of C&V parts being sold out of Eastern Europe (and no, we aren't talking about new production decals (licensed?) or parts)? I'm skeptical.

*AHEM* [coughs]
Old 06-05-20, 02:46 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
eBay purchase on a Monday night, shipped from Istanbul, Turkey... received 4 days later in Friday...free shipping! Gorgeous shift lever for the Benz.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 06-05-20, 03:01 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by big chainring
eBay purchase on a Monday night, shipped from Istanbul, Turkey... received 4 days later in Friday...free shipping! Gorgeous shift lever for the Benz.
Beautiful, and an impressive shipping time to boot! I really wanted a wooden shift knob just like that for my '83 240D. It was also a manual, but the semi-floppy rubberized one stayed with me until I sold the car... Alas! What year and model do you have there?
Old 06-05-20, 03:14 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 406 Posts
This thread has me nostalgic for boxes. It was a simpler time.
Old 06-05-20, 04:04 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

So, what's your point?
Neither of those links is particularly relevant to the conversation. With Italy being such a big country for cycling (both in the use and production of bikes and bike parts), it seems logical that they would have a healthy second hand market. Are some of those items stolen? Perhaps. But one would think a higher percentage of them are legitimate compared to other locations. This isn't some opinion based on bias and wild ideas, it is grounded in facts and reality.

Again, don't twist or misinterpret my words.

I can post links like these all day long:
https://www.ravennatoday.it/cronaca/c...te-faenza.html
https://www.iene.mediaset.it/video/p...na_65821.shtml
https://www.tech-cycling.it/bici-rubate-ritrovi-web/
https://inchieste.repubblica.it/it/r...ici-154929134/

Last edited by robertorolfo; 06-05-20 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 04:23 PM
Kilroy1988 

Neither of those links is particularly relevant to the conversation. With Italy being such a big country for cycling (both in the use and production of bikes and bike parts), it seems logical that they would have a healthy second hand market. Are some of those items stolen? Perhaps. But one would think a higher percentage of them are legitimate compared to other locations. This isn't some opinion based on bias and wild ideas, it is grounded in facts and reality.

Again, don't twist or misinterpret my words.
Firstly, there are many, many times more bicycle parts being sold on eBay by Italian, French, and English sellers than from any country in eastern Europe. More than enough to make up for the population differences and varied levels of popularity and production. There is not some unusually huge trove of stolen bicycle goods sitting in Serbia or Lithuania that are suddenly popping up all over the internet. If you think so then you need to look at the auction sites more carefully.

The accusation that a high enough percentage of vintage bicycle parts being sold out of Eastern Europe are stolen to merit special attention, compared to anywhere else in Europe, is not supported by the numerical evidence provided in your examples, even assuming they account for a fraction of the reality. This is your original phrasing:

"I would unfortunately think that a lot of that stuff is stolen"

If you're unwilling to say the same about things sold in Italy or England, where bicycle theft is rampant and clearly mostly domestic - as all theft is - then that's bias. Plain and simple.
Old 06-05-20, 04:29 PM
robertorolfo

Firstly, there are many, many times more bicycle parts being sold on eBay by Italian, French, and English sellers than from any country in eastern Europe. More than enough to make up for the population differences and varied levels of popularity and production. There is not some unusually huge trove of stolen bicycle goods sitting in Serbia or Lithuania that are suddenly popping up all over the internet. If you think so then you need to look at the auction sites more carefully.
The accusation that a high enough percentage of vintage bicycle parts being sold out of Eastern Europe are stolen to merit special attention, compared to anywhere else in Europe, is not supported by the numerical evidence provided in your examples, even assuming they account for a fraction of the reality. This is your original phrasing:
"I would unfortunately think that a lot of that stuff is stolen"
If you're unwilling to say the same about things sold in Italy or England, where bicycle theft is rampant and clearly mostly domestic - as all theft is - then that's bias. Plain and simple.
Read the link I posted. Use a translator if necessary. Come back and start speaking rationally.
Old 06-05-20, 04:30 PM
Kilroy1988 

Only the first two links above really deal with eastern Europe specifically. At least that's what I get from the text. Of course I had to translate it. The third says this:

"What happens to all these stolen bicycles? Sometimes they leave national borders to head east. Romania, Poland, the Czech Republic, sometimes even Ukraine and Russia. But very often they remain within our country, because traveling with a truck full of stolen bikes is undoubtedly risky. Then it becomes easier to photograph and sell them on the internet, preferably on non-European sites, against which - for law enforcement agencies - it is difficult to act promptly due to existing regulatory constraints."

Which seems obvious if you stop to consider the total numbers.
Old 06-05-20, 04:44 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
This thread has gone so far off of the rails that it isn't worth saving.

Good job guys.
Likes For cb400bill: