Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Bike Dilemma

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Bike Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 01:34 PM
Ride215

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 3, Ribble Endurance SL Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
New Bike Dilemma

Currently, I have the new '21 Orbea Orca M30 (OMR) on order. It has a full 105 drivetrain and the base level carbon frame for $2400 US. The problem is, it isn't expected to ship until next Spring.

I recently discovered Ribble bikes. I know they've been around for a while but you just don't see much about them in the States (at least I haven't). They let you customize your bikes aesthetics for only $326. With the same 105 drivetrain and the additional upgrades of a D shaped carbon seat post, an integrated carbon aero cockpit and custom paint the Endurance SL model is only $350 more. The main demerit points are a 3 year warranty over lifetime on the Orbea. I work on my own stuff, so not having factory shop support isn't a big deal to me and the Ribble has a threaded BB.

It seems I'd get my hands on it before the end of the calendar year as well. Should I roll the dice on the Ribble or keep the Orbea order and just wait it out?
Old 08-29-20, 02:23 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride215
Currently, I have the new '21 Orbea Orca M30 (OMR) on order. It has a full 105 drivetrain and the base level carbon frame for $2400 US. The problem is, it isn't expected to ship until next Spring.

I recently discovered Ribble bikes. I know they've been around for a while but you just don't see much about them in the States (at least I haven't). They let you customize your bikes aesthetics for only $326. With the same 105 drivetrain and the additional upgrades of a D shaped carbon seat post, an integrated carbon aero cockpit and custom paint the Endurance SL model is only $350 more. The main demerit points are a 3 year warranty over lifetime on the Orbea. I work on my own stuff, so not having factory shop support isn't a big deal to me and the Ribble has a threaded BB.

It seems I'd get my hands on it before the end of the calendar year as well. Should I roll the dice on the Ribble or keep the Orbea order and just wait it out?

Ribble Bikes (based in Preston, Lancashire, UK) has a very healthy folllowing in the UK and a very good rep. Quality wise it's up there with the best of them IMO.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/review...urance-sl-disc
https://www.facebook.com/RibbleCycles/
Old 08-29-20, 03:56 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Wouldn't it just be easier to purchase a bike in America, preferably in Philadelphia? The bike won't be damaged in transit, or at least it won't be when you pick it up. You might be even able to test drive the model before you buy. If I had to chose a bike that was ordered and I lived in the US, I would chose Canyon over Ribble. They have a 30 day trial period which you won't get with the Ribble. The other thing that you might want to consider is if you ever are in the habit of reselling your old bikes is the Ribble will be a harder sell than a brand that can be easily had in the US. Not knocking the Ribble bike because I have never head or read anything bad about the bike, I am thinking more about logistics than anything else.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 08-29-20, 05:13 PM
Ride215

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Wouldn't it just be easier to purchase a bike in America, preferably in Philadelphia? The bike won't be damaged in transit, or at least it won't be when you pick it up. You might be even able to test drive the model before you buy. If I had to chose a bike that was ordered and I lived in the US, I would chose Canyon over Ribble. They have a 30 day trial period which you won't get with the Ribble. The other thing that you might want to consider is if you ever are in the habit of reselling your old bikes is the Ribble will be a harder sell than a brand that can be easily had in the US. Not knocking the Ribble bike because I have never head or read anything bad about the bike, I am thinking more about logistics than anything else.
Of course it would be easier to get something locally. If I stick with the Ordea order, I'd be picking up it nearby. Canyon and the Giant TCR Advance Pro 2 Compact were my options initially before I saw the '21 Orbea. The Ultimate and Endurace 7.0 (and TCR) have more boring designs than the other options which is why I kept looking. The Ribble would be much more unique and you wouldn't see a ton of people with it (much like the Orbea). Oh and Ribble does indeed have a 30 day "test ride" on standard builds at least. You'd just pay a restocking fee.

Good points about re-sale but I'm willing to take a risk. I'd keep the bike for a while as long as it's great.
Likes For Ride215:
Old 08-29-20, 05:21 PM
Ride215

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob the Mech
Ribble Bikes (based in Preston, Lancashire, UK) has a very healthy folllowing in the UK and a very good rep. Quality wise it's up there with the best of them IMO.
Thanks Bob. I'm really close to giving them a shot!
Likes For Ride215:
Old 08-29-20, 06:12 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I don’t know anything of Ribble but I have owned Orbea and to me, they are the best bikes I have owned. Great geometry and just a sweet ride.

I understand the not wanting to deal with a long wait.....it’s ridiculous quite honestly what is happening. Weigh the options and make a sound decision. Good luck.
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 08-29-20, 06:17 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
It's true brand wise, Ribble is a bit of an unknow quantity over the pond.
Old 08-29-20, 06:23 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Waiting till November will be the hardest part, then winter shuts down riding till spring anyway, so maybe the waitIn till spring will not be intolerable.
Old 08-29-20, 06:33 PM
Ride215

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Waiting till November will be the hardest part, then winter shuts down riding till spring anyway, so maybe the waitIn till spring will not be intolerable.
That's usually true however our winters have been milder and milder as of late. We had some pretty good weather even in December the last few years. I have cold weather kit already so I'd could still sneak some rides in over the "cold" months.
Old 08-29-20, 09:23 PM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
If you purchase an "assembled" bike from UK, be prepared to pay import duty tax! Low bike inventory right now is unfortunate, but hopefully people will continue to bike after the pandemic.
Likes For a1penguin:
Old 08-30-20, 12:36 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Check out bike exchange. There are some nice Colnago clx disc models still left. Just compare the stack and reach.

https://www.bikeexchange.com/s/road-bikes/colnago
Likes For DaveSSS: