Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Prostatectomy

Old 09-05-20, 04:16 PM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Prostatectomy

I'll find out more come Tuesday, but it looks like I am headed in the very near future for a radical prostatectomy. I will be 65, and retire, in January. A big part of my retirement plans is to do a lot of riding, especially the Rail-Trails here in Michigan, and elsewhere. Of course the surgeon will advise, but I was wondering if anyone has had this procedure, and how long was it before you were riding again. I was diagnosed after a biopsy in Alaska, then drove down here, and am seeing the surgeon for the first time on Tuesday. Also, does Pearl Izumi make any cycling shorts that may accommodate such a surgery Thank you.
Old 09-05-20, 06:29 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,547 Times in 3,757 Posts
Thread moved to 50+ Pills & Ills.
Old 09-05-20, 09:14 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
How long before you are riding again depends on the procedure your surgeon uses. I don't know about open surgery, but recovery using the Da Vinchi method is relatively short. Timing depends on when the catheter is removed; it could be a couple of weeks, and bladder control. Start working on your pelvic floor muscles now. They are a big asset for bladder control.

I had my prostate removed in late February 2017, and rode a 2 month, 2000 mile bike tour the following summer. I think I started riding pretty hard in April. Everyone is different, but good physical therapy, and working on those pelvic floor muscles will shorten the time where you will be able to go out with comfort and confidence.

Good luck to you, and hang in there things do get better
Old 09-06-20, 08:39 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I had mine removed in late Aug 2011 at age 52. Wile my surgeon would have done it using DaVinci robotic if I insisted, he said that he gets a better 'feel' if doing it manually - less chance of inadvertently tearing a nerve or whatever. You'll need those nerves for bladder control, etc afterwards!!! He's the top urological cancer Doc in Cleveland, and teaches at CWRU med school... I bowed to his expertise and had it done his way.

I have ZERO complications, and was back at work in 8 weeks (have to lift 80 pounds), but by then riding season was over for the year here...

The next year, I started riding in the spring like I always did. No problems!!! Here it is nine years later and I still have no problems in that area!
Old 09-06-20, 12:17 PM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I had a robotic prostatectomy about 12 years ago when I was in my mid 50s. I volunteered as an assistant softball coach at a local high school and I immediately got re-involved in that right after the surgery, which provided me plenty of opportunities to get exercise that I believe was instrumental in my recovery. I did not bike much at all prior to the surgery and did not start until about a year afterward. My motivation to start riding came from reading several papers about the importance of exercise in general and bicycling in particular to reduce the chance of recurrence.

My rides are almost always commutes between home and work a few times per week. At first I drove part way and biked the rest. After a couple of months, I skipped the car entirely and biked the whole distance. I have ridden a bunch of miles since the surgery. I never felt any pain as a result of riding, but I did have to plan my route to include access to bathrooms for a while. Bladder control got better as time went on.

So, I say walk as much as you can until the surgeon says it is okay to ride. Then, go for it. Start off easy and push harder when it feels right.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-20, 03:49 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 4,609 Times in 2,115 Posts
Mine was done in 2003 at age 52 and done manually because it was aggressive and required a lot of margin removed. Because of so much tissue loss, I couldn't manage a bicycle seat for a few months.

Old 09-06-20, 05:50 PM
tallywhacker

Bikes: Olmo Leader, Habanero, Carlton Flyer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
had mine removed in may 2018 with robotic surgery. My doctor recommended I wait 3 months before riding again to give the nerves a bit of time to start healing.
One really important thing t do is see a physio about pelvic floor exercises at least 6 weeks before the operation.I really helps deal with incontinence issues.
Old 09-06-20, 08:39 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
CaptMike, not meaning to pry BUT ---
Did you obtain a 2nd opinion on the biopsy results ???
Did you have a TRUS Biopsy or a FAR MORE ACCURATE GUIDED using a 3Tmp MRI ???
What was your GLEASON SCORES ???

Originally Posted by CaptMike
I'll find out more come Tuesday, but it looks like I am headed in the very near future for a radical prostatectomy. I will be 65, and retire, in January. A big part of my retirement plans is to do a lot of riding, especially the Rail-Trails here in Michigan, and elsewhere. Of course the surgeon will advise, but I was wondering if anyone has had this procedure, and how long was it before you were riding again. I was diagnosed after a biopsy in Alaska, then drove down here, and am seeing the surgeon for the first time on Tuesday. Also, does Pearl Izumi make any cycling shorts that may accommodate such a surgery Thank you.
KEGEL exercises are VERY IMPORTANT ---

https://www.uclahealth.org/urology/p...rcises-for-men

I am GLEASON 10 PCa (Prostate Cancer) ONLY 5 in 100 men are diagnosed as GL10's. PLEASE take some time to do research about PCa diagnosis and treatments. There might be a FAR SUPERIOR METHOD of treating your PCa that reduces side effects that can result from removal.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 09-06-20 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-07-20, 06:30 AM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Thank you, Gentlemen, for your replies, and information. It sounds like there is hope to ride again. I will know more after seeing the surgeon tomorrow, for the first time. Coupled with the biopsy, and the Prolaris report, I am comfortable not doing a second biopsy, or getting a second opinion. Actually, this will be a second opinion, tomorrow. What tests he will want, I have no idea. I am 64 years old. Initial PSA was 5, and two out of the twelve samples tested positive, with a Gleason of 4+3, and 3+4. No abnormalities on DRE. Per Prolaris, it is of the aggressive variety. So I am ready to get with it, and do all the things you guys recommended. Again, I appreciate it.
Old 09-08-20, 05:33 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptMike
Thank you, Gentlemen, for your replies, and information. It sounds like there is hope to ride again. I will know more after seeing the surgeon tomorrow, for the first time. Coupled with the biopsy, and the Prolaris report, I am comfortable not doing a second biopsy, or getting a second opinion. Actually, this will be a second opinion, tomorrow. What tests he will want, I have no idea. I am 64 years old. Initial PSA was 5, and two out of the twelve samples tested positive, with a Gleason of 4+3, and 3+4. No abnormalities on DRE. Per Prolaris, it is of the aggressive variety. So I am ready to get with it, and do all the things you guys recommended. Again, I appreciate it.

Just a GOOD LUCK with your visit today.

I would HIGHLY recommend that the viewing of the following video(can skip forward to 15:00 to bypass chit-chat) while not meant as a decision changer for yourself but rather as an updated PCa treatment change in protocol that is taking place. Prolaris SHOULD NOT be taken as a verification to biopsy interpretation because very often the reading of the samples is changed in a 2nd independent biopsy interpretation so the 4+3 could be seen as a 3+3. The % of the 4 and 3 IN EACH SAMPLE IS ALSO VITAL as to the treatment path. Not to as far as BIOPSY METHOD USED, but if have not had 3TmpMRI I am hoping your visit today will include that this VITAL CONFIRMING SCAN be performed. Please keep us updated as your experience might help others.