Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stick on cable guide for both derailleur?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 02:58 AM
Adis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello,

Can I use stick on cable guide for the rear and front derailleur? I'm missing cable guides for my single speed to 7 speed conversion. I already have a bottom bracket shell cable guide.

Last edited by Adis; 09-19-20 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-19-20, 04:18 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
As a guide for cable in housing, you should have no issues.
As a cable stop, where housing ends and open cable is exposed- no.
rusty
Likes For 100bikes:
Old 09-19-20, 05:51 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
100bikes is correct. If just routing cable housing through a guide tunnel, no issues there as there is no stress on a guide, however if using as a cable housing stop where the cable housing butts up against the stop and the wire itself continues on, that is not going to work as a stick-on piece. Too much stress on the adhesive and it will pop off. Last year I played with this and found that cable stops have to have something more than adhesive to hold it in place. I used JB Weld to hold cable stop to bare metal. It worked for one day and overnight the stop popped off.
Old 09-19-20, 07:33 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I used them, but found that they stopped sticking within a few months. All weather commuting is a good test of equipment performance. Although they don't look elegant, nylon wire ties are effective and reliable. Look for the low profile type as they do look quite a bit better.

Since you need these for shifter cables, I wonder if you really need cable stops. If so, something like this is what you should be looking for:

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 09-19-20, 08:16 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Agreed, stick on guides will eventually fail. Bolt ons are the way to go. Problem Solvers has em.https://problemsolversbike.com/products
Old 09-19-20, 08:28 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
A stick-on guide is unlikely to be strong enough to act as a cable stop. Look for a clamp-type chainstay cable stop:

https://www.hoopriderparts.com/produ...5mm-58in---nos
Old 09-19-20, 09:29 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
In my experience stick-on anything tends to not stay stuck on for any length of time, especially with heat and water. Zip-tied or clamped-on will stay put much better.
Old 09-19-20, 02:22 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Adis
I'm missing cable guides for my singe speed to 7 speed conversion.
That sounds like a low budget conversion to me. Those Problem Solvers parts will likely to cost you more than the bike. When I was doing that kind of thing I ran full length cable housings and zip ties.
Old 09-19-20, 11:06 PM
Adis

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply but....

Can I put the shifter inner cable in a housing for shifter? What I'm talking about is covering up the entire length (shifter to rear and front derailleur) shifter cable with housing designed for shifters. Will it work or the shifter cable requires to be exposed?
Old 09-20-20, 01:03 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Can I put the shifter inner cable in a housing for shifter? What I'm talking about is covering up the entire length (shifter to rear and front derailleur) shifter cable with housing designed for shifters. Will it work or the shifter cable requires to be exposed?
No the cables do not need to be exposed. In the long away past, it was normal for the cables to run inside a housing most of the way. Then the exposed stretches were introduced, seemingly to reduce friction and maybe weight. When I compared how cables operated with large portions exposed and the housing all the way, I could not detect any practical friction benefit to the exposed cables. In long term, in my experience, the exposed cable under the bottom bracket solution has been horrible and, over time, I eliminated it from all bikes in my care.
Old 09-20-20, 01:14 AM
Adis

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2_i
No the cables do not need to be exposed. In the long away past, it was normal for the cables to run inside a housing most of the way. Then the exposed stretches were introduced, seemingly to reduce friction and maybe weight. When I compared how cables operated with large portions exposed and the housing all the way, I could not detect any practical friction benefit to the exposed cables. In long term, in my experience, the exposed cable under the bottom bracket solution has been horrible and, over time, I eliminated it from all bikes in my care.
So, it will work?
Old 09-20-20, 02:46 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
So, it will work?
Yes. You only need a clamp-on stop for the front derailleur. You also need to zip tie the housings so that it does not run loose, but for the trials you only need this one stop. If you start with the rear, even that stop is not needed, as the rear derailleur has one built in.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 09-20-20, 04:29 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
The only time something billed as "stick on" will hold fast is when you want to take it off.
Likes For nomadmax: