Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rain cape

Old 09-23-20, 12:55 AM
justslow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Rain cape

I want some rain gear for emergency use only. If it's gonna' rain, I don't ride. However, there are times when rain doesn't obey the forecast. I see rain capes for $15 and up.

Does the hood offer any rain protection when worn over a bike helmet? Any advice on buying one for the rare times I need rain protection?

Example:
Old 09-23-20, 05:06 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Get a helmet cover. That'll work with whatever cape/poncho you wind up using. Also, I'd be concerned about losing peripheral vision with a hood. Been there, although the poncho was not a cycling-specific design.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 09-23-20, 07:57 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Companies like Carradice in England make cycling specific capes but I found a light nylon one (poncho) at Ikea that works really well. I wrap the leading edge under my hands on the bars and put the hood under the helmet so it doesn't billow out.

What I like about it is that the cape keeps rain off the legs without wearing rain pants, but of course having decent fenders, and it folds down small and light to fit in my handlebar bag.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-23-20, 10:18 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by justslow
I want some rain gear for emergency use only. If it's gonna' rain, I don't ride. However, there are times when rain doesn't obey the forecast. I see rain capes for $15 and up.

Does the hood offer any rain protection when worn over a bike helmet? Any advice on buying one for the rare times I need rain protection?

Example:
I have a cape similar to the one pictured. I removed the clear plastic visor and wear the hood under my helmet. By wearing the hood under the helmet, the helmet straps help keep the hood back far enough for peripheral vision.

I also added hand "loops" inside the front to help keep the cape under control in the wind.

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...0-success.html

BTW...a long front fender helps tremendously...one that curves under the front wheel with a flap that skirts the pavement. A short rear fender is fine as long as it keeps the spray off your back.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 09-23-20, 02:21 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
^^^
^^^

^^^
hope you know how to sail
Old 09-23-20, 02:45 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
BTW...a long front fender helps tremendously...one that curves under the front wheel with a flap that skirts the pavement. A short rear fender is fine as long as it keeps the spray off your back.
SKS Longboards highly recommended with long flaps (although not bus bike rack friendly).
Old 09-23-20, 06:03 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
https://www.bicycleclothing.com/info/rain-gear.html

Nuff said.

I don't intentionally ride in the rain anymore... However, I do have a jacket/pants/helmet cover if I happen to be on an organized ride (where I don't get to pick the days), or if I'm 'on tour' for more than a couple of days (damn unpredictable weathermen!) I've never tried a rain cape, but I did wear a garbage bag once...
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 09-23-20, 06:59 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
I use an XXXL LL Bean goretex shell parka. It is big enough to wear over my bag and it has a hood > used on EBAY $30
Old 09-23-20, 11:21 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Vaude ponchos should be good quality. As others, I tend to go with a larger size than nominally suitable for me.

Likes For 2_i:
Old 09-23-20, 11:55 PM
justslow

Great replies! Thanks.

It never occurred to me to wear the hood or a shower cap under my helmet, but I can see the advantage.

Seems like some kind of loop/hold-down would be needed to prevent the cape from flying up and into my face. I will check out the "hand loops" as mentioned by BobbyG.

I'll probably go with an inexpensive cape as I usually have the option of not riding in the rain. However, it would be nice to have one handy when on a multi-day tour.
Old 09-24-20, 12:22 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Be aware that if using a poncho, as opposed to a raincape, the rear flap of the poncho can blow up and over your head. I had that happen on tour in '74 while wearing a Boy Scout poncho, in traffic, on a bridge. Not fun.

I call a poncho something with open sides (formed from a rectangle draped over your head) while that Vaude item above looks more like a tailored raincape with no open sides.

Last edited by thumpism; 09-24-20 at 12:26 AM.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 09-24-20, 12:38 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Be aware that if using a poncho, as opposed to a raincape, the rear flap of the poncho can blow up and over your head. I had that happen on tour in '74 while wearing a Boy Scout poncho, in traffic, on a bridge. Not fun.

I call a poncho something with open sides (formed from a rectangle draped over your head) while that Vaude item above looks more like a tailored raincape with no open sides.
Vaude is a German company. In the German language a bike rain cape is called Fahrrad Regenponcho that then gets translated by Amazon into poncho. There is also this one, that looks good. xxcycle has it cheap.

Likes For 2_i:
Old 09-24-20, 03:25 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
IMHO you always get wet, or at least damp, riding a bicycle. Weather doesn't matter; what you're wearing doesn't matter. (Only exception is if you're underdressed in winter)
Likes For epnnf:
Old 09-25-20, 09:31 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
For people who wear a mirror on their eyeshield, like me, I wouldn't think that a hood would be compatible. Also, it appears that some rain capes were designed without drop-bars in mind. Stupid designers. It needs to be long enough in the back.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 09-25-20, 02:53 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Cleverhood make rain capes for cyclists but they are pricey. The one I picked up was $250 but they have some on sale for $99. The few times I used it I couldn't find any drawbacks. It works as advertised and had some great features. I certainly prefer this over my Show Pass Elite rain jacket.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 09-25-20, 03:50 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
darth vauder
Old 09-25-20, 09:43 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

That J&G rain cape and matching helmet cover (BicycleClothing .com) sound like exactly what I need. However on the site there's no side view and so difficult to determine if it actually provides enough coverage in the front. They're thwarting their own sales pitch by showing the view from the front which shows the rain pants that they're also pushing. I don't want rain pants, I want to see how effective the coverage of the cape is.
Old 09-26-20, 09:22 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Found a touring blogger who uses the J&G rain cape with fenders and drop-bars. No rain pants necessary. So I placed an order for the J&G rain cape and helmet cover. Very happy to get this problem out of the way.
Old 09-27-20, 04:34 AM
justslow

Originally Posted by Nyah
Found a touring blogger who uses the J&G rain cape with fenders and drop-bars. No rain pants necessary. So I placed an order for the J&G rain cape and helmet cover. Very happy to get this problem out of the way.
That cape looks good but expensive at ~$45, although that's much less than other examples. Please post your impressions when it arrives.
Old 09-27-20, 10:42 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I need one for the whole bike. Maybe a big, clear gerbil ball would work.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-30-20, 08:01 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
The best-working solution for me has always been a rain suit. For touring, I'll get a cheap plastic suit and chop off the arms and legs, making them short-sleeved. That gives me temperature control of my torso/core and allows cooling on my arms and legs. I no longer commute, but a full rain suit worked fine for non-aerobic paces on my way to the office. In both cases I'd still get wet, but would avoid getting all dirty and having heat issues (too hot or too cold.)

Ponchos look cool when you're sitting still. But rain and dirt gets up underneath them, and they're absolute sails in any wind.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 09-30-20, 08:06 AM
tclune

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I have purchased two rain capes over the years. Neither is ideal. I bought the very pricey Grunden bike poncho from Riverdell. It's beautiful but completely impractical for me. I carry a lot of stuff when I cycle and have a large handlebar bag at all times. But the poncho is way too big to fit in my bag. It's just not something I can always have with me "just in case." And I would never set out for a ride during a downpour, so it never got used at all. The other is the J&G rain cape. It is well made with a durable light material, and rolls up small enough to fit in my handlebar bag. So it's always available, but it's not really long enough to cover my legs and the material is not quite rainproof. I have sprayed it with waterproofing spray, which helps. But, when it's actually raining, instead of just misting, you'll still end up getting wet. Nonetheless, it is the best option I've found and so I've used it for the last few years. BTW, I find that I sweat like a pig if I try to cycle in the cheap plastic ponchos, so I get as wet as if I just went without. FWIW
Likes For tclune:
Old 10-07-20, 09:33 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Originally Posted by justslow
That cape looks good but expensive at ~$45, although that's much less than other examples. Please post your impressions when it arrives.
So I've had the J&G rain cape about a week or such. However, the weather has not been bad enough to test it in!

I did try riding around my back yard with it so that I could at least see how it fits while on the bicycle (looked at my reflection in some windows). I have fenders on my bicycle so, expect that I can make a valid evaluation the next time it rains. Although the fenders don't go all the way to the ground surface, which some say is necessary.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 10-08-20, 12:43 AM
justslow

So I've had the J&G rain cape about a week or such.
Thanks Nyah for taking the time to post.

I don't enjoy riding in the rain or on wet roads, so I avoid riding during those times. However, when out on a long ride or tour, rain can always happen unexpectedly. Seems to me that any protection is better than none, even if you get wet from the inside. I've struggled with this on backpacking and hiking trips - don't wear rain gear, get wet from rain; wear rain gear, get wet from the inside. The difference for me is keeping warm - the rain gear tends to keep me warm(er). In all cases, I seek shelter and just enjoy the downpour.

I think I'll keep looking and maybe try one of those very inexpensive capes for my infrequent need. If I buy one, I'll post back about my experiences.
Old 10-08-20, 06:51 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
So I've had the J&G rain cape about a week or such. However, the weather has not been bad enough to test it in!
I remember when I put together my first rain cape and I was wishing it would rain. Same with the studded snow tires...couldn't wait for it to snow and ice over.

Let us know what happens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.