Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Portland Campagnolo savy bicycle shop recomendation

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 11:10 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I am in Las Vegas, I need a recommendation of a shop in Portland that can check and get a campy 9 speed bicycle that has not been used for 4 years serviced and working again. I have a friend that knows little about bicycles and crashed one I built with next to new parts and road her in Vegas for about 6,000 miles in 2011. When I gifted this smooth shifting bicycle to them, they were delighted, the following year 2012 we road the STP together. Then the bicycle suffered a crash, and bicycle has not been used since. Trying to get bike checked and serviced in time for STP 2016, about 30 days from now.

Would appreciate the assistance of an affordable Campagnolo shop referral.

JR
Old 06-14-16, 11:46 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Probably Velocult is your best bet.
Old 06-15-16, 02:01 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I met a person on a recent Portland ride that I think does, or did work in a Campy shop. But, unfortunately all I have is a Strava account handle. I might be able to initiate comments???? Too bad Strava doesn't support PMs.

Anyway, looking on the Campagnolo Website.... I found two shops.
Proshop - Shops Campagnolo

En Selle
6200 SW Virginia St., 97239, Portland
OR, United States
Phone: 503-244-6738

Lakeside Bicycles
428 N. State St., Lake Oswego, OR 97034
OR, United States
503-699-8665

I don't know anything about the shops.

Do you need major components such as derailleurs or shifters? You may need to use E-Bay for Record/Chorus parts. But, Veloce/Xenon parts should be available. Keep in mind the differences between old generation and new generation Campy 9s.

The STP sounds like a big ride for a green rider. Are you and your friend getting some miles on the bike before the ride?
Old 06-15-16, 07:49 AM
DoubleTap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
West End Bikes is a great Campy shop. They do a lot of Campy stuff, and their head mechanic was previously head mechanic at Lakeside, another shop that does a lot of Campy stuff. I'd choose West End first.
Old 06-15-16, 05:30 PM
10speedBill

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Redline Disc R, 1982 Colnage Superissimo, Specialized M2 Stumpjumper, Trek Elance, 1984 Trek 610

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burlingame Bikes is very Experienced with Campi.
Old 06-16-16, 12:16 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
It depends on where in Portland the bike is. EnSelle is out of business. If the bike is in south Portland, Lakeside in Lake Oswego is good, north Portland Velocult and West End out NW and Beaverton.
Old 06-17-16, 09:35 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleTap
West End Bikes is a great Campy shop. They do a lot of Campy stuff, and their head mechanic was previously head mechanic at Lakeside, another shop that does a lot of Campy stuff. I'd choose West End first.
Originally Posted by Shifty
It depends on where in Portland the bike is. EnSelle is out of business. If the bike is in south Portland, Lakeside in Lake Oswego is good, north Portland Velocult and West End out NW and Beaverton.

West End in Beaverton? Or shop is only @ SW Stark location, I could not find a Beaverton location.

DoubleTap & Shifty,

Thanks for the info, I will have him deliver the bicycle to West End, to see what is wrong with the bicycle and how many dollars it will require to make it serviceable for the STP ride. He does have Torelli bicycle that I assembled for him when he lived in Portland. When I built the KHS with Campy components I really liked the results, the bicycle was one of the smoothest shifting bicycle I have ever built & ridden.

It performed well for me in 2012 STP. If it was here would be easy to make it new again, but since it is in the Northwest logistics seems to be complicated - difficult.

Again thank to everyone that assisted with a solution, or suggestion.

JR
Old 06-18-16, 04:52 PM
DoubleTap

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, West End's only location is at SW 11th and Stark, downtown. Bre Rue is a top mechanic there; I trust her with any project.
Old 06-18-16, 05:11 PM
sheltonlp
Road Newbie

Bikes: Focus Izalco, Scott Speedster 20, Giant 29er Hardtail MTB, Giant Full Susp MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Western Bike Works is another good shop, they have two locations, one in the Pearl and one in Tigard. Also another plug for West End, they are my second stop