Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Nice weather we're having

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-20, 10:37 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts

The past three weeks have mostly been above freezing afternoon temperatures with sunshine. Looking forward to touring. Sunny Sunday March 8 hit 60F. Monday saw my first robin. Tuesday mid 40s with folks talking snow. We lost most of our snow pack until tonight. Looking so beautiful & hypnotizing with great big snowflakes in the street lights. Wish I had a camera.
Old 03-12-20, 07:48 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Layer up, get some warm boots you can ride with, and a pair of mitts with hand warmers. You can stay quite comfortable riding in cooler weather. I agree, though, the warmer weather is more conducive to riding.

Even if you can get out and ride to boost your mileage that is a good thing. Stay in shape and if you've lost your "riding shape" over the winter months - ease in to things.

That was one of my goals this winter was to try to not loose my "riding shape". I've done OK, but I have had some spans of a couple weeks between shorter rides so the mileage rate definitely took a hit. However, this is the earliest in the season I've been as high on mileage. I've never done a 50+ mile ride before about June or July so I am ahead of the game there, in my world.
Old 03-12-20, 08:26 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
NOAA forecast, for what it's worth, predicts above normal temps in mid-West and East thru the end of March. I returned to outside riding back in February. Unusual for me.
Old 03-14-20, 03:09 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts

It is sunny and soft , wet , muddy with occasional snow patch in the shadows
Old 03-15-20, 03:41 AM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
How do you find the pinion, for touring, just have always wanted to know how good they are and if any limitations?
Old 03-15-20, 04:44 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I love it. There is one effect on me just like range anxiety I think there is weight anxiety. It generally adds a few pounds to a bike so I tried to lighten other parts of the bike to counteract that.