Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke Length

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Spoke Length

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 01:14 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Spoke Length

I'm building up a set of offseason wheels for my fatbike. Just want to double check that my spoke length is looking good before purchase. The hubs are Hope Evo 2 Pro Fatsno on the front (150mm) and Bontrager Jackalope on the rear (177mm). The dimensions for the Hope hub were easy to find, but I had to call Trek to get the dimensions for the Jackalope. Rims are 29" Spank Oozy 345, ERD of 591 being the only dimension I needed. I've ran the numbers through a few calculators, all coming out the same as the one below (from the spocalc spreadsheet tool linked on Sheldon Brown's site). Anything else I need to know?

Old 08-13-20, 01:46 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I am not a wheel builder but I have seen recommendations to measure the ERD yourself on your actual rims to avoid disappointment.
Old 08-13-20, 01:57 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I am not a wheel builder but I have seen recommendations to measure the ERD yourself on your actual rims to avoid disappointment.

Thanks. Not a bad idea, although tolerances these days are so spot on I can't imagine it would be off.
Old 08-14-20, 07:53 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
You can be sure the ERD may not be exactly as quoted by anyone, best to measure if possible.

Otherwise, don't be disappointed if you find you have spokes a bit too long or short. I just built a pair a wheels for a buddy and we had to order 18 additional shorter spokes for the rear wheel as the calculated length based on quoted ERD was a bit long on one side. Not the end of the world, just takes a bit more time.to complete the project plus he has 18 extra spokes that will collect dust in his basement.