Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Switching components from bike to bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 11:30 AM
M1keZ

Bikes: Redline Metro 9, Retrospec Harper, Dahon Mu Uno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

First time here! I have a bike that I love, a Redline Metro 9 commuter bike. A couple of years ago a chainstay was bent about 3-4 degrees. It was on a rear car rack and a driver bumped me from behind. I have been riding it without problems so far, but I know it's risky. I just bought a fixie bike for fun (Retrospec Harper), but now I'm wondering if I could have a mechanic take the components from the Redline (crankset, pedals, shifter, derailleur, brakes and both wheels) and put them on the new bike. Frames are the same size, both wheel sets are 700c. What do you think?
Old 09-19-20, 11:46 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by M1keZ
First time here! I have a bike that I love, a Redline Metro 9 commuter bike. A couple of years ago a chainstay was bent about 3-4 degrees. It was on a rear car rack and a driver bumped me from behind. I have been riding it without problems so far, but I know it's risky. I just bought a fixie bike for fun (Retrospec Harper), but now I'm wondering if I could have a mechanic take the components from the Redline (crankset, pedals, shifter, derailleur, brakes and both wheels) and put them on the new bike. Frames are the same size, both wheel sets are 700c. What do you think?
The Harper has no accommodations for a derailleur, so that and the shifters won't be needed. Also, the spacing of the rear triangle may be different than the width of your existing rear hub. The crankset might not work on the existing bottom bracket, and its width and spindle length may also be different. A shop would be able to take the necessary measurements and sort out which parts are usable, but the two bikes don't really speak the same language, component-wise. Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-20, 11:49 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Does your fixie have a derailleur hanger? Cable guides and stops for the shifter? Does it have mounts for your existing brakes e.g. studs for V-brakes or cantilevers? Compatible bottom bracket (width, threading?) If your present bike's frame is steel I would not worry about riding it with a slight bend, or about straightening it
Old 09-19-20, 11:50 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The first issue is that the FG has track ends without a derailleur hanger, so you’ll have to get something like this: https://www.fyxation.com/products/qu...ailleur-hanger

Then there’s the question of spacing. Most FG have 120mm rear hub spacing, most road bikes have 130mm. This might be the deal killer here; you might be able to safely spread the rear triangle, but you’ll then have issues if you ever want to put your SS/FG wheel back in.

All the other things can be transferred, although you might need a new bottom bracket to make the transferred crankset line up properly.
Old 09-19-20, 01:14 PM
M1keZ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
The Harper has no accommodations for a derailleur, so that and the shifters won't be needed. Also, the spacing of the rear triangle may be different than the width of your existing rear hub. The crankset might not work on the existing bottom bracket, and its width and spindle length may also be different. A shop would be able to take the necessary measurements and sort out which parts are usable, but the two bikes don't really speak the same language, component-wise. Hope this helps.
Things to think about. Thank you very much for this reply!
Likes For M1keZ:
Old 09-19-20, 03:15 PM
M1keZ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No derailleur hanger (would have to buy), yes to cable guides and cantilever brake mounts and I'm not sure about the BB. That's where the mechanic's expertise is needed. After the initial inspection, the mechanic where I bought the bike said it was a good steel frame and that the wheel was still aligned and true but that it was a risk to ride because it could just break anytime, and that bending ti back into shape would just damage the tube further. Maybe I just shop for a similar used frame and get it painted.

Thank you very much for this advice.
Old 09-19-20, 04:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Why not use the SS as a commuter? It appears to have rack and fender bosses. And Chicago is pretty flat. How many gears do you need?
Old 09-19-20, 05:35 PM
M1keZ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Why not use the SS as a commuter? It appears to have rack and fender bosses. And Chicago is pretty flat. How many gears do you need?
It does and I use it as a commuter (even tho I'm working from home ), short hops and store runs. I just got it so will add a rear rack and that's about it. I bought it because i'm getting more nervous riding the bent bike and don't have the $$$ for a replacement bike yet. Plus I have wanted a single speed for a while. This bike is cheap and so far it looks like it will be a pretty good bike. Thanks for your thoughts!
Likes For M1keZ:
Old 09-19-20, 05:37 PM
M1keZ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This helps a lot, thank you. I appreciate your expertise.
Old 09-20-20, 05:33 AM
Coasterbrakefan

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could be a fun time to try out an internally geared hub.
Likes For Coasterbrakefan: