Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suntour Superbe Pro Hub Help

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-20-20, 10:21 AM
fords4life

Bikes: '20 Trek DS1, '84 Raleigh Prestige

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

So..... I'm new to bicycle mechanics and working on cleaning up my Dad's '84 Raleigh Prestige so I can ride it. Figured all new bearings in the hubs were cheap insurance for a smooth ride. The rear had SKF 6001 cartridge bearings and all went well. Got to the front and found the original Suntour hybrid sealed bearings. Trying to decide if I should clean and re-grease or figure out removing the old cup and replacing with the Phil Wood 6001s I have ready to go. Wondering what others thoughts were since I'm a newbe. The cups and cones are in fantastic condition. My dad took very good care of this bike when he was riding. A little nervous about getting the cups out of the hubs without damaging the hubs.

Old 09-20-20, 11:43 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Never Fix A Running Piece. Add fresh grease, reassemble, adjust and ride.
Old 09-20-20, 11:54 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 273 Posts
I have a Superbe Pro front hub like this in a wheel that has been in regular service for the last 30 years. 3rd rim. As a preventative measure, I spend 10 minutes every few years to take it apart, but it really hasn't needed the work. The only way to make this hub better would for it to be a similar-era Campagnolo Record hub, with the superior full cup and cone design, and the grease injection ports in the middle of the hub and at both ends.

I also have a few of the Superbe Pro hubs in bins waiting for an eventual wheel build. I like the black versions of these, and the grey-ish anodized finish version.
Old 09-20-20, 05:54 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
Replace the caged bearings. Put as many as you can fit in then remove one. That'll be an improvement. I wouldn't dare try to replace the cups unless they're trashed. Those are great hubs.
Old 09-21-20, 08:20 AM
fords4life

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I have a Superbe Pro front hub like this in a wheel that has been in regular service for the last 30 years. 3rd rim. As a preventative measure, I spend 10 minutes every few years to take it apart, but it really hasn't needed the work. The only way to make this hub better would for it to be a similar-era Campagnolo Record hub, with the superior full cup and cone design, and the grease injection ports in the middle of the hub and at both ends.

I also have a few of the Superbe Pro hubs in bins waiting for an eventual wheel build. I like the black versions of these, and the grey-ish anodized finish version.
They are beautiful pieces for sure. Have you replaced the bearings at all? Still running the cages, or replaced with all balls instead?
Old 09-21-20, 12:48 PM
fords4life

Ordered the hub, BB, and headset bearings from Wheels. Should have them in a couple days since they aren't too far down the road from me.