Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Folding handlebars

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Folding handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 06:36 AM
Bobmat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folding handlebars

I know folding handlebars have been invented (at least 20 patents on government website) but does anyone know a manufacturer who has them on their normal bikes (not folding)? I have tremendous trouble storing my bike, if i had handlebars that turned 90 degrees, parallel to the frame, and i also used folding pedals, my bike would only be 6 inches wide - and a whole lot easier to store. Is there such a bike?
Old 03-28-08, 06:49 AM
toThinkistoBe
Cheese

Bikes: Trek 520 & an old huffy mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you not just carry a hex wrench and loosen, twist 90 degrees? It wouldn't take much more than 30 seconds.
Old 03-28-08, 06:57 AM
Bobmat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
I could, but it would mean setting the handlebars each time. The patented ideas i have seen let you turn the handlebars with just the pull of a lever or similar, with no resetting (they automatically return to the original setting. Its just so frustrating that the ideas are out there but i cannot find a bike that has one on it.
Old 03-28-08, 07:18 AM
toThinkistoBe
Cheese

Bikes: Trek 520 & an old huffy mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
click me
Old 03-28-08, 07:20 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
The Dahon Hammerhead seems to have this feature, but I haven't quite figured out how it works. Maybe you just take the stem off? But look at the pictures, it's interesting.
https://www.dahon.com/intl/hammerhead.htm
Old 03-28-08, 07:52 AM
Bobmat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rhm and toThinkistoBe, thanks. Not really what i was looking for though, although both have potential as a compromise. The handlebars i have seen rotate around the headstock axis and, in an ideal world this is what i would rather have. My search continues :/
Old 03-28-08, 08:33 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Originally Posted by Bobmat
... My search continues :/
Do some browsing in the Folding Bikes forum, going back a year or so... I'm pretty sure there are other options. I suspect there's a way to adapt a folding bike's stem to your purposes. One problem, of course, will be that those stems give way too much rise; another will be that those stems are hard to buy without a whole bike attached.
Old 03-28-08, 10:04 AM
Bobmat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will do. I have gleaned a lot of info from the sites passed to me so far, thanks. I am curious as to why a mainstream manufacturer has not addressed this issue before now, if a normal bike could be folded flat it would be a lot easier to store and transport. I know that there are folding bikes but they are such a compromise. Am i the only one who has trouble with storing and transporting my bike??
Old 03-28-08, 10:13 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I have looked but I can't find it. There is a bicycle security item that uses a key in the headset.
You turn the key to one position and the handlebars lock in place at a 90° angle to the front wheel, (for riding).
You turn the key to another position and the the bars move freely, (so nobody can ride off with your bike).
And the last position locks the bars down parallel to the front wheel, (for storage or shipping).

I'm pretty sure I saw it here on BF about a year and a half ago, but I can't, for the life of me, remember what it was called.
I think it was either made in the UK or Holland, (or at least marketed there).
Old 03-28-08, 10:59 AM
Bobmat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds good, just what i'm looking for! What puzzles me though is that it sounds like a great idea that solves storage problems and helps security too. I wonder why is it not common knowledge and being mass produced?
Old 03-28-08, 11:01 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by Bobmat
.... I know that there are folding bikes but they are such a compromise. ...
Oh, they're not such a compromise! I mean, yes, compromise is involved; but you can chose where you're going to compromise. At one end of the scale, if you need a bike that folds up extremely small, it may not ride quite like a 'normal' bike: the Strida is an excellent example (but it's a great bike, by the way). At the other end of the scale, the Swift has a ride that's pretty much indistinguishable from that of a 'normal' bike. It doesn't fold up small enough for my purposes, but it may be perfect for you. Somewhere in the middle is my commuter bike, a somewhat customized Downtube Mini, which folds up small enough that I can take it on the train twice daily, and still rides just fine in NYC traffic, rural NJ roads, and the towpath of the Delaware and Raritan Canal. It's not very good in snow or on sand, though....
Old 03-28-08, 11:17 AM
aley
Goathead Magnet

Bikes: Surly LHT, Cannondale Caffeine F3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 1 Post
How about these handlebars?

They seem to fold back the way you want, although they may not be the style you're after.

Last edited by aley; 03-28-08 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-28-08, 12:05 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
How about normal bars on an NVO stem so you can rotate your bars about the steerer column without touching headset adjustment.
Old 03-28-08, 12:28 PM
Bobmat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aley, thanks but no thanks you're right, they are not the style i'm after. MW, these are really interesting and come closest to what i am looking for, thanks to both of you. I still will not give up my search for a set of handlebars that just rotate on the headstock with no bits left to carry and no tools to operate.
Old 03-29-08, 08:01 AM
Bobmat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whilst i have been waiting for other replies i have been in contact with the person who has one of the Patents i mentioned in my initial thread. He said that although lots of people have told him his idea is a good one (inc manufacturers) no one is willing to take it up because they do not believe there is a market for it. I would like to conduct a poll, on this forum, which will either give him something to take to another manufacturer or make him realise that there is no market for his idea. I will post it as a new thread, please take part.
Old 03-29-08, 08:43 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't think that loosening the head bolt and turning the stem is a good idea. If you did that when transporting a bike on vacation or something like that, once or twice a year, sure. But I don't think those parts are really designed to be loosened and tightened on a daily basis.
Old 03-29-08, 10:18 AM
Bobmat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The system does not work by loosening the headbolt and it seems the movable part is designed to be moved frequently. Please see thread - POLL yes or no?
Old 03-30-08, 01:32 AM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Loosening the bolt and tightening it again is not a problem by itself. What becomes a problem is that it's easy no adjust your headset too tightly or too loose, especially if you're not too mechanically inclined.

The NVO system can essentially be duplicated by installing a collar or a second lower stem at the top of the stack and keeping that one tight all the time. Then the upper one may be moved around as you wish without having to readjust the headset.
Old 09-05-09, 12:02 PM
M-323

Bikes: Swissbike LX, Iron Horse Maverick 3.0, Myata Triathalon, Giant Seek II, Giant Seek III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok I thought I saw this feature on the 2009 Mongoose Sabrosa but cant seem to find the article again.

turning the bars is clearly the simplest way to save space. there must be some sort of quick release for this? I talked to Mongoose, they said that one of the Asian suppliers must make it for that specific bike but would not give me much more info about it.

its like the Yetti... we KNOW he exists but few have actually SEEN him.

I was used to popping off my front tire, enabling me to turn the handlebars to save space. I used ot have the Swiss Bike LX which had a "Clix Wheel Release System", and with disk brakes, you dont even have to undo the brakes, making this a piece of cake!

It was my first introduction to Quick Release, so I thought they were all like that UNTIL...

I just bought a pair of Giant Seek bikes. They are wheeey better bikes but they have QR but NOT the Clix QR! What a pain! I didn't realize that "regular Quick Release have to twirl the leavers to get the right position! That's not QR alt all! So Im planning to get a set of CLIX QR's for the new bikes -- unless we can come up with a QR for the handlebars.
Old 12-02-09, 07:49 PM
jdaniel

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Resurrecting this old thread, because I'm interested in it too.

the Gocycle seems to have what you're looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPLX_...eature=related

Here's a design that bends the handlebars down the middle, much like the Strida: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISWQAR3aw8o (He isn't manufacturing them yet, so far as I know).

Old 12-02-09, 08:50 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just use a threaded type stem. Loosen the nut to realign the handlebars. If that's not quick enough then add a quick release to the top.

This is how one of my folding bikes does it. Nothing fancy; just a normal threaded stem with a quick release bolt.
Old 12-07-09, 07:25 PM
jdaniel

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by chucky
Just use a threaded type stem. Loosen the nut to realign the handlebars. If that's not quick enough then add a quick release to the top.

This is how one of my folding bikes does it. Nothing fancy; just a normal threaded stem with a quick release bolt.
I'll have to look into that. I wonder if there is a way to put limits on it. So that you could quick release it, spin it until it stops (so that its aligned along the body). Then when you want to ride, quick release it, spin it and have it stop perfectly so that its perpendicular to the bike. The idea here is speed and accuracy.

Old 12-07-09, 08:13 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdaniel
I'll have to look into that. I wonder if there is a way to put limits on it. So that you could quick release it, spin it until it stops (so that its aligned along the body). Then when you want to ride, quick release it, spin it and have it stop perfectly so that its perpendicular to the bike. The idea here is speed and accuracy.
I can do it in about 15 seconds with a 6mm allen wrench. I think you are way overthinking a very simple problem. Threadless headsets are a little more of an issue though.
Old 12-07-09, 09:10 PM
exarkuhn15

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.oredon.com/content/en/produits.php?id=26

I think this is the closest thing on the market that I've heard of. Not sure how well executed these Oredon products are, but it's a cool idea. I like their locking skewers too. I've got the Onguard/Pinhead version, but the Onguard ones don't have the freely rotating collar around the security nut, like PitLocks have.
Old 12-07-09, 09:27 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Those german bars are dope!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.