Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My first century

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My first century

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 12:02 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Lots of variables in cycling...\
Agreed. Thinking about this, one thing that makes running "harder" than cycling is that it is harder on your joints. I know that first-hand. But that doesn't mean it isn't just as good for staying in shape. Maybe it's better because you can get aerobic fitness without pounding your legs. I don't do that many long rides. My daily ride is 15-20 miles, but over rolling hills. Sometimes I'll go on a local rails-to-trails that is 31 miles, but flat. I'm breathing a lot harder after 15 miles on hills than I am after 31 flat miles. I'd like to do more longer rides, but they really take up a lot of time.
Old 10-19-20, 12:10 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
Agreed. Thinking about this, one thing that makes running "harder" than cycling is that it is harder on your joints. I know that first-hand. But that doesn't mean it isn't just as good for staying in shape. Maybe it's better because you can get aerobic fitness without pounding your legs. I don't do that many long rides. My daily ride is 15-20 miles, but over rolling hills. Sometimes I'll go on a local rails-to-trails that is 31 miles, but flat. I'm breathing a lot harder after 15 miles on hills than I am after 31 flat miles. I'd like to do more longer rides, but they really take up a lot of time.
No doubt running is great aerobic conditioning and you can get a lot in a short time. Also, safer and cheaper if you can keep it up for years. A lot of people come over to cycling when running injuries get in their way. Some of the ex-runners I have known start cycling with a huge aerobic base and they're usually lean and understand their bodies. Unfortunately a couple of them dove into the deep end before they had a chance to learn group riding skills and bike handling which can lead to crashes.