Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear Fender Mounting Hack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-20, 02:31 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts

Does anyone have a good (aka non-destructive) hack for attaching a rear fender to seatstays without a bolt hole? The aluminum frame has wishbone style seatstays and the fender has the tab to attach a bolt through the seatstay bridge but the frame has no bolt hole.
Old 10-22-20, 02:49 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Is this a disc frame with no brake at the "bridge"? Are you installing full coverage fenders? Is there no bridge at the chainstays?

Usually the clearances on bikes constructed in such a manner aren't conducive to cramming something else between the tire and the brake bridge. A full fender (clearances permitting) will do fine with a solid mount at the front of the arc, and at the rear. You could clip or fasten the front of the fender to the seat tube, and have it float over the wheel until you get to the fender struts at the rear.
Old 10-22-20, 03:36 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Is this a disc frame with no brake at the "bridge"?
Nope frame only has canti posts.
Are you installing full coverage fenders?
Yes
Is there no bridge at the chainstays?
No separate bridge; looks like the photo attached.

Usually the clearances on bikes constructed in such a manner aren't conducive to cramming something else between the tire and the brake bridge. A full fender (clearances permitting) will do fine with a solid mount at the front of the arc, and at the rear. You could clip or fasten the front of the fender to the seat tube, and have it float over the wheel until you get to the fender struts at the rear.
Lots of clearance available. What kind of clip/fastener would you recommend?
Old 10-22-20, 05:26 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Zip ties, one around each leg, and one between the two, one hanging from that, thru the fender eye.
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 10-22-20, 05:34 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Originally Posted by bOsscO
Nope frame only has canti posts.
Yes
No separate bridge; looks like the photo attached.

Lots of clearance available. What kind of clip/fastener would you recommend?
The brake cable looks like it'll interfere with mounting, can you use cantis?
Reason being, SKS and PDW will both recommend a full cm of clearance between the tread and the inside in the fender. You can do less, but I try to keep at least half that, or you'll hear every picked up bit of grit. The zip ties trick will work, but they'll need to be snug so bumps don't knock the fender into rubbing.
Old 10-22-20, 05:37 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Zip ties through carefully planned holes in the fenders should work. If you need to seal the holes, a little silicone caulk should work. If done right, you won’t even mar the paint...
Old 10-22-20, 07:35 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Ugh, that looks a fair weather only bike. What a pain. The only no-rattle solution is to have some kind of metal artist or just a Machinist fabricate up a U-bracket to mount to the brake posts with a center hole for your fender. As mentioned in another post, it looks like v-brake clearance is minimal and whether you hack in a mount or have a nice gajobber made up, you’re going to want to swap to canti brakes... for which that frame probably doesn’t have an easy way to mount a cable hanger...

I think you probably need to be exploring options regarding either adding another bike to the collection or swapping that one for one which can take fenders.
Old 10-22-20, 09:57 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

^^^ what they said

Now, recognize that this is unsafe, but hear me out...

Do you use your rear brake?

Clearing the brake cable is much easier if it isn't there...

Now serious. I chose to ride a road frame paired with incorrect brakes for the klunker challenge for a single 113km ride. The rear brake the bike was built with was a Weinmann Vainqueur 999 750, but the bike came with a pair of Dia Compe's 610 copy when I got it. The reach was fine up front, but the farthest reach in the rear had the middle of the pads line up with the edge of the rim. So I set them up wide open so I couldn't blow out the sidewall if I used the rear brake like a numbskull. I was "forced" into the situation, but I'd bet you'd get along fine without the rear brake.

Best course would be to mount something like the sks raceblades, but you'd lose full coverage.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 10-23-20, 01:58 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

The brake cable looks like it'll interfere with mounting, can you use cantis?
Reason being, SKS and PDW will both recommend a full cm of clearance between the tread and the inside in the fender. You can do less, but I try to keep at least half that, or you'll hear every picked up bit of grit. The zip ties trick will work, but they'll need to be snug so bumps don't knock the fender into rubbing.
The photos at a bad angle. I have about 20mm from tire tread to V-brake cable so shouldn't need to switch to canti's (although I can).
Old 10-23-20, 02:05 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Originally Posted by hsuBM
Ugh, that looks a fair weather only bike. What a pain. The only no-rattle solution is to have some kind of metal artist or just a Machinist fabricate up a U-bracket to mount to the brake posts with a center hole for your fender. As mentioned in another post, it looks like v-brake clearance is minimal and whether you hack in a mount or have a nice gajobber made up, you’re going to want to swap to canti brakes... for which that frame probably doesn’t have an easy way to mount a cable hanger...

I think you probably need to be exploring options regarding either adding another bike to the collection or swapping that one for one which can take fenders.
I don't think my family will accept 'I'm having trouble easily mounting a rear fender so I need a new bike' as a valid argument to buy a new bike
However I like your idea about a metal U-bracket that mounts to the brake posts...like what the early suspension forks had (see pic below). Now to find one...
Old 10-23-20, 06:58 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Perhaps you could install a brake booster like this one and use the hole on the top for a fender mount.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-23-20 at 07:04 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-26-20, 08:38 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Perhaps you could install a brake booster like this one and use the hole on the top for a fender mount.

That's exactly what I was thinking. A fellow I ride with has one and may let me try it. Thanks.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 10-27-20, 06:09 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Zefal makes the Gizmo that offers a way to replicate a braze-on style mount using zip ties. Perhaps this can be used to provide a way to attach the fender...

Gizmo Universal - Universal bottle cage
Old 10-27-20, 06:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

That's exactly what I was thinking. A fellow I ride with has one and may let me try it. Thanks.
You going to drill a hole at the top?
Old 10-27-20, 06:57 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
I like the brake booster idea. And as a really useless aside, Planet Bike (I think) includes something that allows you to use zip ties with some of their fenders.
Old 10-27-20, 10:14 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Originally Posted by ARider2
Zefal makes the Gizmo that offers a way to replicate a braze-on style mount using zip ties. Perhaps this can be used to provide a way to attach the fender...
Gizmo Universal - Universal bottle cage
Cool thanks. I think that could work if the seatstay yoke wasn't so far away from the rear tire and was a round tube shape. Solid maybe.
Old 10-27-20, 10:17 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Originally Posted by Kapusta
You going to drill a hole at the top?
Yeah if the ridge is close enough to the rear tire, that would be the plan. Otherwise I could add a cross brace lower down with a hole in the middle for the mount.
ALL THE HOLES!!
Old 10-27-20, 11:38 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Yeah if the ridge is close enough to the rear tire, that would be the plan. Otherwise I could add a cross brace lower down with a hole in the middle for the mount.
ALL THE HOLES!!
Again, since you have the clearance you need to stuff a fender in there, you only need the rear stays and the front attachment, if you can make it solid (SKS uses clips for the chainstay bridge.
My Commuter/tourer uses a long bolt and a cork to space out the fender from the chainstay bridge for a proper shape. You could easily use one of those zip tie braze-ons to do the same. Stainless bolts are $0.50 a piece at my Ace Hardware.
Old 10-27-20, 12:24 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Again, since you have the clearance you need to stuff a fender in there, you only need the rear stays and the front attachment, if you can make it solid (SKS uses clips for the chainstay bridge.
My Commuter/tourer uses a long bolt and a cork to space out the fender from the chainstay bridge for a proper shape. You could easily use one of those zip tie braze-ons to do the same. Stainless bolts are $0.50 a piece at my Ace Hardware.
Thanks yes I'll try connecting just the fender stays and at the chainstay bridge and see how it goes. I do like 3-points of contact though.
Old 10-27-20, 01:26 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

ALL THE HOLES!!
Show us a pic when you are done.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-27-20, 01:37 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Yuh will do
Old 10-28-20, 11:09 PM
thebigchin

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by elcraft
Zip ties through carefully planned holes in the fenders should work. If you need to seal the holes, a little silicone caulk should work. If done right, you won’t even mar the paint...
Yep. That's exactly what I have done on my daily commuter.