Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Slammed vs bent arms

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Slammed vs bent arms

Old 10-23-20, 06:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by chainwhip
I just did an image search to (re)call this pic which helps visualize some options:

upper right corner looks like the aero/comfort winner to me, but variety is good.
Variety is good. Holding any single one of these positions for approx. 6 hours is pretty impractical. Same reason why riders get off the saddle once in a while.
Old 10-23-20, 06:55 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
This...

strong core results in negligible weight on arms
Mentions of "core" always raise a red flag for me. As I've always understood and experienced in my riding, if the bike fit is right for the effort level that you're maintaining, there's negligible weight on your arms because your upper body is supported by pedaling effort, and the core isn't involved at all. To put it another way, any energy expended by invoking the use of core muscles is energy that could and should have gone into pedaling.

In fact, in decades of following discussions of bike fit and riding technique, especially for racers, I never came across the term "core" (or any prior variation) until it started popping up in Bike Forums a few years ago. I assume that it's a term used by body builders and gym rats that's been ported over to bike websites because it sounds vaguely hip and lends an air of authority to the rest of the sentence.

The "core" might be of concern to track racers and road sprinters and to those with various physical deficiencies, but I don't see the point of what seem to be incessant mentions of the core whenever threads like this one crop up.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-23-20, 07:42 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked 2,078 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Mentions of "core" always raise a red flag for me. As I've always understood and experienced in my riding, if the bike fit is right for the effort level that you're maintaining, there's negligible weight on your arms because your upper body is supported by pedaling effort, and the core isn't involved at all. To put it another way, any energy expended by invoking the use of core muscles is energy that could and should have gone into pedaling.

In fact, in decades of following discussions of bike fit and riding technique, especially for racers, I never came across the term "core" (or any prior variation) until it started popping up in Bike Forums a few years ago. I assume that it's a term used by body builders and gym rats that's been ported over to bike websites because it sounds vaguely hip and lends an air of authority to the rest of the sentence.

The "core" might be of concern to track racers and road sprinters and to those with various physical deficiencies, but I don't see the point of what seem to be incessant mentions of the core whenever threads like this one crop up.
So don’t read it. Core strength is an integral part of overall fitness, it’s not about being “hip” but if you can’t see how it is beneficial, that’s your problem.

Your pejorative use of “gym rats and body builders” displays your clear bias against such forms of exercise and an overall lack of understanding of the benefits of weight training for all sports.
Old 10-23-20, 09:28 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
When I was track sprinting back in the day, I used to call myself a gym rat. The sprint coach for GB calls his sprinters weightlifters who he makes ride bikes to keep them out of the bar. I have also heard
‘bodybuilders who ride bikes occasionally’ to describe sprinters’ 🤣🤣
Old 10-23-20, 11:37 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Mentions of "core" always raise a red flag for me...
https://pezcyclingnews.com/latestnew...ore-advantage/
Old 10-23-20, 01:16 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
So don’t read it. Core strength is an integral part of overall fitness, it’s not about being “hip” but if you can’t see how it is beneficial, that’s your problem.
Core strength isn't an issue (just like leg strength isn't an issue). If you can haul yourself up and out of a chair and onto a bike, you have sufficient core strength to then ride that bike.

If your bike fit is such that you can't hold a particular position, either changing the position or building up incremental amounts of time holding that position is all that's necessary. The idea that you have to go do core exercises to be able to pedal a bicycle a certain way is misplaced. I don't understand posts that recommend such things for improved performance on the bike and agree with Trakhak.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 10-23-20, 01:18 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Ugh. This guy's notion of gaining fitness revolved nearly entirely around banned substances. He has bizarre ideas about a number of things and certainly shouldn't be utilized as a reference for anything like this.
Old 10-23-20, 01:22 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Ugh. This guy's notion of gaining fitness revolved nearly entirely around banned substances.
What do core exercises have to do with banned substances?
Old 10-23-20, 01:52 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Core strength isn't an issue (just like leg strength isn't an issue). If you can haul yourself up and out of a chair and onto a bike, you have sufficient core strength to then ride that bike.

If your bike fit is such that you can't hold a particular position, either changing the position or building up incremental amounts of time holding that position is all that's necessary. The idea that you have to go do core exercises to be able to pedal a bicycle a certain way is misplaced. I don't understand posts that recommend such things for improved performance on the bike and agree with Trakhak.
There is a significant difference between being able to ride a bike and improving performance through strength training. I can say unequivocally that once I started strength training, my performance improved on the same amount of mileage weekly, especially on climbs.

We will have to agree to disagree
Old 10-23-20, 02:03 PM
rubiksoval

There is a significant difference between being able to ride a bike and improving performance through strength training. I can say unequivocally that once I started strength training, my performance improved on the same amount of mileage weekly, especially on climbs.

We will have to agree to disagree
However, you can't say unequivocally that your performance would have increased substantially more had you devoted that time and energy to better on-the-bike training.

Sounds like you were just weak aerobically and most likely could have gotten even stronger training on the climbs using progressive training methodologies.

Cycling is an aerobic sport, not a strength sport. People forget that looking for quick fixes. Weight training isn't a substitute for long-term aerobic training.
Old 10-23-20, 02:04 PM
rubiksoval

What do core exercises have to do with banned substances?
Source credibility and a severe lack thereof when it comes to him.
Old 10-23-20, 03:41 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts

Statics. Ever take Statics? If your arms aren't supporting your torso, your core muscles are. There's a down vector from your torso's CG, so there has to be a torque to generate an equal up vector. When riders talk about "core," what they mostly mean is "back." Abs do get a little work in the average cyclist, mostly when pulling up on pedals, but I never heard a complaint from a cyclist saying that his abs are sore. OTOH complaints about sore backs are legion, and not all of them are from poor fits, rather most are from poor conditioning. One of my little truisms is, "don't worry about your bike fit as much as your fitness." There's a group of cyclists who, just for the fun of it, ride balloon tired single-speeds with cowhorn bars on an annual local double century.

Several years ago, I had a situation where, for some reason I forget, I became rather egregiously unfit and tore some back muscles skiing. I went through this book, exercising every day, following its well-laid out progression for a full year. Fixed me right up. From then on, I've done strength work every week except for sometimes mid-summer. No more "core" problems. BTW, I never do sit-ups, crunches, etc., except for this one:
Just one set of of that first thing on dumbbell days, which helps my hip flexors, not really "core."
Old 10-23-20, 03:41 PM
tomato coupe

Source credibility and a severe lack thereof when it comes to him.
I'm not giving a pass to dopers, but I don't think doping erases their credibility when it comes to the technical aspects of the sport. I certainly would not out-of-hand dismiss training advice from Mr. Armstrong.
Old 10-23-20, 04:17 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

However, you can't say unequivocally that your performance would have increased substantially more had you devoted that time and energy to better on-the-bike training.

Sounds like you were just weak aerobically and most likely could have gotten even stronger training on the climbs using progressive training methodologies.

Cycling is an aerobic sport, not a strength sport. People forget that looking for quick fixes. Weight training isn't a substitute for long-term aerobic training.
That’s an awful lot of assumptions.but again, agree to disagree
Old 10-23-20, 04:48 PM
rubiksoval

That’s an awful lot of assumptions.but again, agree to disagree
Assumptions predicated on a factual understanding of the limiters of cycling performance?
Old 10-23-20, 04:52 PM
rubiksoval

I'm not giving a pass to dopers, but I don't think doping erases their credibility when it comes to the technical aspects of the sport. I certainly would not out-of-hand dismiss training advice from Mr. Armstrong.
Well, sure it does. Especially when packaged for the masses. Riding a bike fast does not make you an expert on physiology or training. Conversely, being an expert on training does not make you super fast on a bike.

And then:

He has bizarre ideas about a number of things and certainly shouldn't be utilized as a reference for anything like this.

Such as:

Using ERG mode on your indoor smart trainer is holding you back.
Old 10-23-20, 05:01 PM
tomato coupe

Riding a bike fast does not make you an expert on physiology or training. Conversely, being an expert on training does not make you super fast on a bike.
These statements are certainly true, but they apply equally to professional cyclists that dope, and those who don't dope.

"Using ERG mode on your indoor smart trainer is holding you back."

Have you ever met a coach that you agreed with 100% of the time? They all have their own ideas, some a little bit nutty.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 10-23-20 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-23-20, 05:10 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Assumptions predicated on a factual understanding of the limiters of cycling performance?
no, about any existing or lack of aerobic capacity
Old 10-23-20, 06:14 PM
rubiksoval

no, about any existing or lack of aerobic capacity
Ha. You don't lack aerobic capacity? You're not racing the Vuelta now, are you? Primoz?!
Old 10-23-20, 06:17 PM
rubiksoval

These statements are certainly true, but they apply equally to professional cyclists that dope, and those who don't dope.

"Using ERG mode on your indoor smart trainer is holding you back."

Have you ever met a coach that you agreed with 100% of the time? They all have their own ideas, some a little bit nutty.
Sure. Equal application to all. However, if the validity of their ideas rests solely on their own cycling accomplishments, then there's an issue. And when those accomplishments aren't even the result of a great training methodology, but rather illicit doping, then that's a double whammy.

He's a particularly nefarious character however, and pretty downright awful any which way you cut it.

Nope, and I don't propagate and defend their ideas.
Old 10-23-20, 06:47 PM
tomato coupe

Sure. Equal application to all. However, if the validity of their ideas rests solely on their own cycling accomplishments, then there's an issue. And when those accomplishments aren't even the result of a great training methodology, but rather illicit doping, then that's a double whammy.

He's a particularly nefarious character however, and pretty downright awful any which way you cut it.

Nope, and I don't propagate and defend their ideas.
Okay, but here's a hypothetical question for you: Lance Armstrong is far more nefarious and awful than Danielson. If he wrote a book on training, would you say he lacks credibility because the validity of his ideas rests solely on his cycling accomplishments?
Old 10-23-20, 07:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
It's easy to say that core is not an issue if one is young (say under 50) and has been riding consistently for many years. If core is not an issue, then why do so many riders complain about sore backs? Danielson's book was of course not written by Danielson, rather by his strength trainer. People do have strength trainers. I don't know if that makes it more or less valid, which depends on one's preconceived notions of what does and doesn't work. IME strength training works when done in a compatible fashion to one's main sport.

Strength training works for any endurance sport. Google "elite marathon strength training", then "elite cycling strength training". There's also this for those interested: https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...e-athlete.html
Old 10-23-20, 07:46 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Ha. You don't lack aerobic capacity? You're not racing the Vuelta now, are you? Primoz?!
yah dude, didn’t you know?
Old 10-24-20, 06:52 AM
rubiksoval

Okay, but here's a hypothetical question for you: Lance Armstrong is far more nefarious and awful than Danielson. If he wrote a book on training, would you say he lacks credibility because the validity of his ideas rests solely on his cycling accomplishments?
If Lance Armstrong wrote that book instead of Danielson, then yeah.

Why would anyone buy this book by Danielson? Because he was a famous American rider. Why was he a famous rider? Because he doped the hell out of himself, used the performance-enhancing benefits of said dope to put in substantial on-the-bike training, and then had success before getting popped (twice).

Not because he did core work.

I'll extend this argument to Chris Carmichael as well. Worse than both of them and built an empire off of the lie that he was training Armstrong.
Old 10-24-20, 06:54 AM
rubiksoval

yah dude, didn’t you know?
Suffice to say, your performance up a hill, down a hill, on the flat, wherever, is not limited by your leg strength but by your aerobic conditioning.

Aerobic sport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.