Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

DIY DI2 w/auto shifting

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

DIY DI2 w/auto shifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-20, 09:58 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
DIY DI2 w/auto shifting

The system consists of a hall effect sensor at the pedals to measure cadence, an Arduino controller, and a servo mechanism to replace the manual shifter. Everything is mounted in a small enclosure on the frame. The only way to get one is to build your own, so a forum is available for Shift4Me builders, where the BOM, instructions, code and other documentation is available for download. Most bikes should be easy to convert, and [Jan] invites builders to post their modifications and improvements.Since the only input is the cadence sensor, we wonder if the system will interfere more than help when the rider has to break cadence. It does however include allowance to hold on the current gear, or reset to a starting gear by pushing a button. One major downside is that you will be stuck in a single gear if the battery dies since the manual shifter is completely removed.

https://hackaday.com/2020/09/04/auto...cycle-shifter/
Old 09-06-20, 03:14 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Arduino is a little out of my league. The best I've done is attach a RaspberryPI to my garage door so I can open and close it with my phone.
Seems like there is/was a commercial device that would auto shift a Di2 system by reading a cadence sensor and a power meter.
Sounds like a fun project, though.
Old 09-06-20, 04:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Cadance based shifting has been tried but never worked well. You really need to integrate a powermeter and cadence with some sort of algorithm based on variable rider preferences. I suppose someone has already tried the power meter and cadence approach along with other inputs, but I don't specifically remember seeing any thing on it though.
Old 09-06-20, 05:01 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Here it is...

https://proshiftracing.com/
Old 09-07-20, 06:51 AM
CycleLoss

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very interesting! Got to love tech!
Old 09-07-20, 10:58 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
It seems to me we already have everything we need with a phone app and DI2 and firmware hack to accept gear changes.
Old 12-20-22, 01:36 AM
Batasoy 22

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are quite a lot of such projects, minus being "speed based". I don't really understand the charm of "auto shifting". There were such derailleurs ages ago, albeit being "mechanical", and never took much attention.

To move a rear derailleur electronically, servo is the easiest, but most insufficient method. You need to supply current to servo all the time, otherwise if will rotate under even a small force, causing unwanted shifts. A better design is a lead screw. I've seen those too, if I remember correctly, a Japanese guy at Youtube made it. Also, Campagnolo uses leadscrews instead of cheap plastic toy gears which SRAM and Shimano use...
Old 12-20-22, 11:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Dredging up old conversations isn't a great way to introduce yourself to the others here.

Welcome to BF.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-20-22, 11:57 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
I enjoy seeing what creative people come up with, but about the last thing I would want is to have my bike shift based on cadence.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 12-20-22, 01:28 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Riding a tandem with the drill instructor barking in your ear would get old quick.
Old 12-25-22, 07:55 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,652 Times in 779 Posts
Your title is a bit misleading, as this gizmo really has nothing to do with Di2. It still uses a cable operated RD with servo operation vs. manual shifter.
If you really wanted to automate, the Arduino would send the proper signals to Di2 RD and FD, telling them to shift to a proper gear to maintain a set cadence. To me, it's a cool project, but really more of a solution looking for a problem.