Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2021 Trek FX3 disc: widest tire possible is ?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-20, 08:01 AM
MrJames67 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

2021 Trek FX3 disc: What is the widest tire that will fit this frame?
Old 10-17-20, 01:04 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
From ******:

"I just test fitted the gravel wheels from my checkpoint onto my FX Sport Carbon 4. The wheels are 19.5mm inner width rims with 700x40 GR1 tires mounted. They fit with just a few mm to spare around the fork crown and at the chainstays. There is a bit more gap at the seatstays.

This amount of gap I *would not* ride. It leaves almost no room for dirt/grit on the tire or, worse, the wheel coming out of true or flexing during lateral stress.

I do think a 700x35 would be perfectly okay. 700x38 might be pushing it, especially if it has any tread/knobs.

A good option for a tire might be the Schwalbe G-One Speed in 700x35. It's available in tubeless (which brings up that this might be a good time to go ahead and setup your FX3 tubeless since the rims are tubeless ready - you'd need tape, valves, sealant, and tires).

Another good option could be something like the Bontrager GR1 Team Issue in 700x35. The main 'feature' of this tire vs the G-One Speed is the knobs are a good bit more substantial."
Old 10-18-20, 09:06 AM
MrJames67 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks, Wanderer. I'll look into those tires you mention. I was at the bike shop yesterday picking up my new red FX3 disc, and the mechanic said 38mm is the widest. Looking at the narrow frame slot behind the bottom bracket in person, I agree.

So far, on pavement only, I like the installed tires, H2 Comps @ 95 psi. I'll wear out the stock tires first. I love the bike overall, except for the slippery crappy pedals that wouldn't spin easily. Way too much unacceptable drag in the cheapo bearings. The worst I've ever seen, the pedals cannot spin when you flick them. Appear designed for flip-flops as they said at the shop. Replaced those right off with these bright hi-viz yellow ones with real metal bearings and no friction, from my bike shop: VP Grind Platform Pedals. Fine pedals and inexpensive. I have others like them, three times the price with metal cleats, but these grip my shoes well.

I have many bike saddles but so far, after adjustments, I like the stock saddle fine. With rear rack and kickstand, bike is 28.2 pounds but feels lighter on the road. Quick handling and stable. Shifting and brakes work as they should.

I have five other bikes, including a 2016 FX 7.2 with double strong racks and four panniers and 42-32-22 chainrings I put on, giving me a very low gear-inch in granny. Where I live is almost all real hills and rollers. This FX3 has a low gear of 22.5 gear-inches, nice for hills, and a high of 113.0 BTW, my bike was made in Cambodia.