Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Charlie's Shed - Parts and tools

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Charlie's Shed - Parts and tools

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-24, 11:01 PM
GCBM

Bikes: Primary bike - late 70's gold ALAN Competition; mostly Campy with Huret Jubilee deraiileurs;When I joined that was my primary. Now back to my 1979/80 Shogun 600 since I can change everything and not feel like I'm committing sacrilege...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 71 Posts
Simplex "Carter de chaine" mentioned yesterday

Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-26-24, 11:03 PM
GCBM

Bikes: Primary bike - late 70's gold ALAN Competition; mostly Campy with Huret Jubilee deraiileurs;When I joined that was my primary. Now back to my 1979/80 Shogun 600 since I can change everything and not feel like I'm committing sacrilege...

If you are restoring a Raphael Geminiani...

one of a bunch of head badges I found - please I found Geminiani decals
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-26-24, 11:06 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 1,058 Posts
Thanks for posting. Its really nice to see the Shed dismantled with respect. I would have really liked to meet the guy...
Old 04-26-24, 11:07 PM
GCBM

Not to leave Schwinn out

more parts to this kit elsewhere but no manual
I think the two Campy wrenches holding down the fact sheet on the Record brake unboxing go to this -and why they were handy at the time of photographing
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-26-24, 11:10 PM
GCBM

It does say tools... shop drill press

I guess we had to make do...
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-26-24, 11:19 PM
GCBM

the "other" A Dudley (maybe) wheel truing stand

same "V" cut slots and elbow bolts as my other, but no "AD" logo on the sides. And the only A Dudley poster and ads I have seen were not "V" cut , but straight cut with sliding metal bars to close on the axle... So I have nothing to place the age of these. One commentator on another site said something about these "V" cuts being the precursors to the advertised straight slots

Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-26-24, 11:19 PM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

Bikes: Austro Daimler SLE

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 59 Posts
Like i didnt have enough problems in my life, now I feel the need to start gathering and collecting french instruction manuals and diagrams....thanks 😁
Likes For Strawbunyan:
Old 04-26-24, 11:21 PM
GCBM

And how about a Brooks...

Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-26-24, 11:23 PM
GCBM

And something Harding specific for the wheels

Where it all started...
Old 04-26-24, 11:30 PM
GCBM

Alan screwed and glued

Remember how they told us the original Competition round blade forks wouldn't hold up?

Yep, after 40 years they snapped on me where blades met the crown - straight snap, had to get a Nashbar replacement at the time, but...

I guess someone cracked a frame . . . and the shed shall set me free!
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-27-24, 12:04 AM
GCBM

Originally Posted by Strawbunyan
Like i didnt have enough problems in my life, now I feel the need to start gathering and collecting french instruction manuals and diagrams....thanks 😁
I believe Disraeligears site will have you covered lol
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-28-24, 05:28 PM
GCBM

Cinelli stem: steel, stamped

Not one of the fancy badged ones that are now hopefully under boxes of new stuff.

Maybe other more knowledgeable folk on here can tell us what model or...a knockoff with that imperfect stamp. Could just be the process of a rolled stamp?
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-28-24, 06:49 PM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 142 Posts
Great stuff, thanks for posting all the images.

Pics below are of a "Meteor" branded Carleton Franco-Suisse that originally came from Hardings. Frame research indicates perhaps early 60's but original owner indicated he and his dad got a pair in the late 1960's. Understand it was not uncommon for shops to obtain rebranded frames and bikes back then. Was a really nice bike.

Likes For VRJAKE:
Old 04-28-24, 09:21 PM
GCBM

Cinelli stem: badged steel

The Cinelli stayer is still in one of the boxes so for now settle for this

Old 04-28-24, 09:24 PM
GCBM

I've found an ooooolllldddd Falcon and some other bikes in highly dilapidated shape so, nice to see a Harding decal. Although your bike was definitely not in the shed or I would have been talking about my "new" beauty and be looking for the decals in the folders I found.

Last edited by GCBM; 04-28-24 at 09:26 PM. Reason: add on
Old 04-28-24, 09:56 PM
GCBM

Cinelli stem: stayer - of course that is what it is...

Stayer stems - with which I was completely unfamiliar until I found one in the shed. I must have run in the wrong crowd lol

I'm still a little confused as to whether these were intended for shops and team mechanics to test for exact size needed by individual riders, or to be used by individual riders and adjusted based upon other factors for a particular ride or race. Otherwise seems like extra weight rather than just getting the right specific length.
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-30-24, 09:53 PM
GCBM

Tool... Phil Wood Spoke Machine #770 - yes, greasy and dusty

I have the base to mount it on and a couple other parts in a cup
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-30-24, 10:24 PM
GCBM

Back in the dinosaur days, without power...

The catalogue binder...

with price lists...

and manufacturer catalogues...

with instructions...

No. 13

And many more pages that could be scanned ... including many of those French parts diagrams and instructions
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-30-24, 10:30 PM
GCBM

More to come

as I work my way through... drawers of Campy spindles and BB cups and lock rings, two crates of Stronglight cranks and TA chain rings.. but it will be slower going since I have to find room to hold and open this stuff up from the boxes and cabinets they are in. I may have to take some of the Sturmey Archer hubs and learn/relearn overhauling since there seems to be 20+. trays of parts for them. So, I'll be back.
Old 05-01-24, 01:08 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by GCBM

I have the base to mount it on and a couple other parts in a cup
You don’t need this in your life, I will pay postage! This is one of those things youhave very, very little chance of finding in the UK.
Old 05-01-24, 02:40 PM
GCBM

This is a quandary, lol. Takes up little space, and a great tool IF I needed to cut and thread spokes in a rush, but, I have next to no space especially as I bring more things home. I'll have to work through my collector side wanting to keep great stuff I will rarely if ever use - versus making space and selling to those who would use.
Likes For GCBM:
Old 05-01-24, 06:17 PM
GCBM

On second thought, if you have a 57 -58 cm Hetchins curly stay you don't need in your life ...? lol
Likes For GCBM:
Old 05-01-24, 09:08 PM
GCBM

The Huret Jubilee cache so far...

Some full, some bodies, some parts...

how much you wanna bet this cache doesn't have the right springs for the long cages? I haven't checked part numbers but would seem like my luck lol
Old 05-02-24, 12:37 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 142 Posts
Wow, the stuff of dreams.....
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 05-02-24, 01:49 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by GCBM
On second thought, if you have a 57 -58 cm Hetchins curly stay you don't need in your life ...? lol
I am now looking for one for you…….mind you, that’s my size as well…..lol.
Likes For awac:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.