Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Glove maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-17, 06:21 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Glove maintenance

I use bike gloves for cycling and my rowing machine. My gloves get get very sweaty and smelly. So, here's my questions:
1. Is there some material I should either avoid or look for that could help me avoid the problem?
2. Should gloves be washed (I never do.) and, if so, how?
Old 06-30-17, 06:43 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
I don't wash my gloves often, but I do wash them. When I do, I just throw them in the washing machine on the delicate cycle, then I hang them up to dry.
Old 06-30-17, 06:43 AM
msquared22

Bikes: Salsa Vaya X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just throw my gloves into the washer with the rest of my clothes.
Old 06-30-17, 06:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Yes, just wash with your other bike clothes after every use. Kind of disgusting, otherwise.
Old 06-30-17, 07:02 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
For years I have been using Dollar store brown cotton work gloves with the fingers cut off for warm weather. I wash 'em a few times then toss 'em. When I started padding my bars, I realized I didn't need the padding in the gloves. But even when I used bike gloves I would toss 'em in the washer every couple of weeks.
Old 06-30-17, 07:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
I soak em in a small plastic food container.

Hot water + a little oxyclean + gloves. Drop em in, wait 10min, shake the container for 20 seconds, remove and rinse.

Washing machine probably works too, but i dont want to chance them accidentally being tossed in the dryer.

Those things are disgusting if you dont wash em- like blacklight in a roach-motel disgusting.
Old 06-30-17, 08:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, I wash my gloves at least once a week, more often in summer. Otherwise they smell funky. I have Louis Garneau summer weight gloves and Bontrager cool weather long finger gloves, both of which have held up well to repeated washing for more than a year. Didn't surprise me that the Bontrager Thermal RXL held up to repeated washings, but I was surprised how well the LG gel gloves have held up. They're very lightweight with mesh fabric on non-contact surfaces, and minimal padded leatherette only on contact surfaces. But they're durable.

I use Tide or Gain gel flings for pretty much all our laundry now. But the added scent can be a bit much for hand washing so occasionally I'll use All or another detergent without added scent.

Whether hand or machine washing the key to getting out the funk is time. The enzymes need time to work on odors and stains. That's even more important than agitation. I use an enzyme spray to pretreat the parts of cycling apparel that gets funkiest. Doesn't take hot water, just time. I use lukewarm water for most of my cycling clothes, since hot water can set stains.

If I'm not handwashing a few items, which I let soak for 15 minutes or longer, I'll use a nearby laundromat with slow cycle machines that run at least 30 minutes per load. Some of those are high efficiency machines that use very little water so it's important to avoid using too much detergent. Gel flings or liquids are best.
Old 06-30-17, 08:42 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Gloves get disgusting after a ride or two.

An easy solution is to just bring them in the shower along with the heart rate strap. Hang on a towel rack to dry. This is part of my routine. Easy.

They go into mesh laundry bags when I do put them in the washer so that the velcro doesn't snag all the other clothing.

-Tim-
Old 06-30-17, 08:47 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Gloves go in the washer after 1-3 rides. If they have the salt deposits on the backs after one day, straight in the washer.

If I never washed my gloves, they would probably be able to move around on their own.
Old 06-30-17, 09:12 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My hands don't really sweat... so my gloves get washed when I ride in the rain. I'll throw them in the washer once a year otherwise. (Apparently I'm easy on gloves.)
Old 06-30-17, 09:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
When they're really grotty, I'll soak my cycling gloves in a bowl with water and a handful of Borax. After 20-30 minutes the whole thing (except the bowl) goes into the washer with the rest of the dirty bike clothes. Hang outside to dry if possible, the sunshine and fresh air helps with odor.
Old 06-30-17, 10:36 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Gloves get covered with gatorade, bug splattered, wipe snot in the winter and sweat in the summer, chain grease and Gu gel, road grime when riding in the wet, maybe hold onto your package when you stop for a quick nature break...

To each his own but not washing gloves is gross. Miracle some of you guys don't get sick.
Old 06-30-17, 12:20 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Gloves get covered with gatorade, bug splattered, wipe snot in the winter and sweat in the summer, chain grease and Gu gel, road grime when riding in the wet, maybe hold onto your package when you stop for a quick nature break...

To each his own but not washing gloves is gross. Miracle some of you guys don't get sick.
Our rides are different. I typically ride in cities, so I'm not stopping by the side of the road to answer nature's call, but why not take your gloves off for a minute and stash them in a jersey pocket?

I don't carry Gatorade or gu; just water. I don't wipe away snot, though I do wipe away sweat.

Yeah, wash your gloves; my point is just that our rides are different.

Last edited by RichSPK; 06-30-17 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Found an autocorrect error
Old 06-30-17, 12:25 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by RichSPK
Our rides are different. I typically ride in cities, so I'm not stopping by the side of the road to answer nature's call, but why not take your gloves off for a minute and start them in a jersey pocket?

I don't carry Gatorade or gu; just water. I don't wipe away snot, though I do wipe away sweat.

Yeah, wash your gloves; my point is just that our rides are different.
These are good points.

LOL to stopping in the city for a nature break. Yeah, don't do that.
Old 06-30-17, 12:47 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use bike gloves for cycling and my rowing machine. My gloves get get very sweaty and smelly. So, here's my questions:
1. Is there some material I should either avoid or look for that could help me avoid the problem?

I wash my gloves ~once a week or whenever they start to need it. I just toss them in the washing machine with whatever else needs washing.
Old 06-30-17, 12:54 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yes, just wash with your other bike clothes after every use. Kind of disgusting, otherwise.
Completely agree, once "kind of" is replaced with "very"
Old 06-30-17, 01:31 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
After every ride along with what ever clothes I have worn.
Old 06-30-17, 01:51 PM
Tony P.

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
I have several pair I rotate through but never washed. Good news, I finally hand-washed them all today. Next I'll be asking about my padded shorts.
Old 06-30-17, 02:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
It's been awhile, but these threads sometimes turn up folks who admit to not washing their shorts after every ride. Can be fun to read the excuses.
Old 06-30-17, 03:23 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Throw your gloves in the washer with any load of clothes you happen to be washing. I wash them with my cycling clothes which I wash about every second or third ride (don't panic: I have several sets I use, usually once each). I also have three pair of gloves I use regularly so if one is disgusting, I just use another until the disgusting pair gets washed.

I use a mesh bag since it helps to keep the velcro from getting stuck on other clothes, but that's the only precaution needed. They are not fragile things, for crissakes, just wash them. And dry them, that doesn't hurt either. Leather palms, whatever. I wash mine every ride or two depending on how many times I have to wipe my nose during a ride.

Last edited by Camilo; 06-30-17 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 03:37 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Hand wash with a little mild detergent. Usually in the same water I use to rinse my headband or cycling cap. Rinse, then hang dry outside. Once I went to doing this, my gloves started lasting a lot longer. Before, I would toss my gloves at the end of the season. Now, they last 4, 5, even 6 years.
Old 06-30-17, 04:00 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Leather. I had some gloves I liked a lot made of a thin leather. Houston summer riding produces copious amounts of sweat. Gloves get drenched and stay drenched for hours. The leather softened up and got gooey. The gloves stretched out of shape. I could pull on them and holes would open up. So I stay away from leather.

Everything should be washed. I chuck mine in the washing machine with my other bike stuff. I wash all of it with cold water. I might go 3 or 4 rides between washing bike clothes (I have a lot of jerseys and shorts).
Old 06-30-17, 04:07 PM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
no gloves so I don't wash them.

I'll also be one to admit that I go a few rides before washing shorts. But they do get rinsed and hung up after each ride. lol
Old 06-30-17, 04:58 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by memebag
Leather. I had some gloves I liked a lot made of a thin leather. Houston summer riding produces copious amounts of sweat. Gloves get drenched and stay drenched for hours. The leather softened up and got gooey. The gloves stretched out of shape. I could pull on them and holes would open up. So I stay away from leather.
If you *really* want to run leather gloves, deer leather might be more ideal. Part of the reason why deer leather gets used for kendo gear is because it stands up better to major wet/dry (sweat) cycles better than stuff like cow leather. Or that was the explanation I got way back when I first started that hobby. I still air that stuff out *a lot* because it would stink horribly.
Old 06-30-17, 05:39 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by manapua_man
If you *really* want to run leather gloves, deer leather might be more ideal. Part of the reason why deer leather gets used for kendo gear is because it stands up better to major wet/dry (sweat) cycles better than stuff like cow leather. Or that was the explanation I got way back when I first started that hobby. I still air that stuff out *a lot* because it would stink horribly.
I don't have a big attraction to leather, it's just what some gloves are made of. But I'm curious which bike gloves are made of deer leather and how that is farmed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.