Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 06:44 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
That's a score, with nice parts too: Ringle quill stem, White hubs, Gorilla brake booster. All parts worthy of a Paramount.

Whoa, are those Grafton pedals?
Yes they are. Thanks for pointing that out. I was not familiar with them, but now I want more of his stuff. Cool video I found from a Grafton Performance.
Old 10-23-19, 05:01 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
Yes they are. Thanks for pointing that out. I was not familiar with them, but now I want more of his stuff. Cool video I found from a Grafton Performance.
https://youtu.be/r3H9LpTHAh8

Found an ad in my bikepr0n folder. The cranks were "common," the brakes and levers also, the perches show up once in a while but are easily missed. I've never run into the pedals IRL

Old 10-23-19, 01:16 PM
mtaineer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Marin Palisades Trail year?

So, my younger son's mountain bike (a Walmart freebie) got busted and repairs would have exceeded the value of the bike. I found a great guy on Craigslist selling a '95 Trek 830 Mountain Track, and after a couple of trips to his house, I now have 4 new-to-me mountain bikes. I'm just glad I wasn't shopping for crystal meth. I also got a '00 (I think) Specialized Hardrock FS (which my son has already crashed and bent the front wheel), a '91 Trek 8000 (which is going to be a project...lots to do), and a Marin Palisades Trail. I think it is a '92 or '93...I've seen this color listed as both.

I flushed out the shifters and got them working. It needs grips, but it seems to ride just fine. I think the purple is awesome. It has some surface rust to clean off, some touch up paint, and I might try finding new decals. Does anyone know what year this model is?

I guess this means I've gotta start riding bicycles again. I might even take my old '81 (I think) Schwinn World down and get it working again. Thanks for any help with the year of this Marin.
Likes For mtaineer:
Old 10-23-19, 01:26 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Originally Posted by mtaineer
So, my younger son's mountain bike (a Walmart freebie) got busted and repairs would have exceeded the value of the bike. I found a great guy on Craigslist selling a '95 Trek 830 Mountain Track, and after a couple of trips to his house, I now have 4 new-to-me mountain bikes. I'm just glad I wasn't shopping for crystal meth. I also got a '00 (I think) Specialized Hardrock FS (which my son has already crashed and bent the front wheel), a '91 Trek 8000 (which is going to be a project...lots to do), and a Marin Palisades Trail. I think it is a '92 or '93...I've seen this color listed as both.

I flushed out the shifters and got them working. It needs grips, but it seems to ride just fine. I think the purple is awesome. It has some surface rust to clean off, some touch up paint, and I might try finding new decals. Does anyone know what year this model is?

I guess this means I've gotta start riding bicycles again. I might even take my old '81 (I think) Schwinn World down and get it working again. Thanks for any help with the year of this Marin.
I think that's a 93. That year also came out in a very handsome two tone grey
Old 10-23-19, 02:09 PM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts

1985 Fuji Sundance
Old 10-23-19, 04:44 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
'93 like DorkDisk said:
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/12573-2/1993.pdf
Old 10-23-19, 04:59 PM
mtaineer

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Great information! Thanks much. Any recommendations on grips? I’ve gotta get some for the Specialized, as well.

I’ve been checking out this forum for ideas for things to add to these. One will likely be on its way to Boone, NC for my oldest son, who is a freshman in college. He seems interested in having the option of something other than hoofing it.
Old 10-23-19, 11:11 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Great information! Thanks much. Any recommendations on grips? I’ve gotta get some for the Specialized, as well.

I’ve been checking out this forum for ideas for things to add to these. One will likely be on its way to Boone, NC for my oldest son, who is a freshman in college. He seems interested in having the option of something other than hoofing it.
All depends on what look you're going for. Keeping it retro or retro-modern? ODI grips are cool. If you can find some period grips, most of them were pretty good. I have a pair of older Ritchey's on my '92 Marin Eldridge Grade and I like them.
Old 10-23-19, 11:12 PM
tsep

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
mystery vintage mountain bike

Hi I am new here (so cant post pics).
Have been trying to identify a Hardtail steel lugged mountain bike I acquired last year here in Australia.
Came with Suntour Xc group, has a faded 2 tone paint- white to neon orange/red
The most unusual part is both the top and seat tubes are crimped in sections similar to a high end Italian road bike.
the frame is pretty light also

any ideas?
cheers
Old 10-24-19, 12:23 AM
Nahuel_B58
Uruguay

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
I gave my Litage its first shake down ride after a total rebuild. The 9s indexing sunrace shifters aren't that great but will try a replacing the sunrace freewheel with a shimano first before maybe going back to 7s accushift, that means other wheels too.
Needs a Turbo seat and chunky nobbies at least just for photos

That beauty seems to be a satanic speed machine, how many teeth that crank has? 52?
Old 10-24-19, 12:24 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts

Oury, some of the best, then and now.
Old 10-24-19, 04:19 AM
jbchybridrider 

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Oury, some of the best, then and now.

Lol that was the intention she's very fast. 52-40, 11-34.

On a side note a suntour edge starfish crank just arrived, I'm going to sand and polish that it'll look grouse.
I've given up on the sunrace shifters I'll just have to accept buying them a loss. I suspect some of you knew they were crap but just letting me work it out myself so its back to sram x9 shifters and derailleur. The steerer tube is being cut and the stem dropped.

Last edited by jbchybridrider; 10-24-19 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-24-19, 04:25 AM
jbchybridrider 

Originally Posted by Nahuel_B58
That beauty seems to be a satanic speed machine, how many teeth that crank has? 52?
Wrong quote, see post above
Old 10-24-19, 04:35 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
I've spent hours searching the net tonight here Think I've got it, it's a 89 Iboc Pro one level below the Team.
Tange double butted the seat stays are just fork legs welded back there. John Tomac rode Mongoose at the time. Yeti rebranded this frame as there own.
Been riding it around the farm too, handles great can really fling it around aggressively I like it and been wanting a 26 inch bike to use as a proper mtb.
I think you have it right as a '89 Mongoose IBOC. I think Tomac was involved with the geometry (as he did with Raleigh and Yeti too). I'm not sure, but could be wrong, about your second statement. Yeti's had similar geometry and frame styles on FRO's and ARC's as Mongoose, they liked loop tales, but I thought that they made their own frames. They were obsessed with lightness.

https://www.yeticycles.com/tribe/archive
Old 10-24-19, 04:54 AM
jbchybridrider 

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
I think you have it right as a '89 Mongoose IBOC. I think Tomac was involved with the geometry (as he did with Raleigh and Yeti too). I'm not sure, but could be wrong, about your second statement. Yeti's had similar geometry and frame styles on FRO's and ARC's as Mongoose, they liked loop tales, but I thought that they made their own frames. They were obsessed with lightness.

This is it only different cable routing but is a iboc frame.
There's talk of it on mtbr forums but still unclear if they sold them like that or just a team race bike because at the time there alloy frames were breaking and using the iboc frames as a stopgap measure.

Old 10-24-19, 05:00 AM
jbchybridrider 

Interesting Jonny O'Mara rode a F.R.O one of my favorite MX riders in the day.
Old 10-24-19, 05:20 AM
DorkDisk

This is it only different cable routing but is a iboc frame.
There's talk of it on mtbr forums but still unclear if they sold them like that or just a team race bike because at the time there alloy frames were breaking and using the iboc frames as a stopgap measure.

I don't recall the race team riding IBOCs or Yeti selling IBOCs. The first one is more probable, but would have been mentioned BITD. I may well be wrong or just have bad memory
Old 10-24-19, 05:37 AM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tsep
Hi I am new here (so cant post pics).
Have been trying to identify a Hardtail steel lugged mountain bike I acquired last year here in Australia.
Came with Suntour Xc group, has a faded 2 tone paint- white to neon orange/red
The most unusual part is both the top and seat tubes are crimped in sections similar to a high end Italian road bike.
the frame is pretty light also

any ideas?
cheers
Possibly a Rossin Marathon
Old 10-24-19, 07:14 AM
jbchybridrider 

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I don't recall the race team riding IBOCs or Yeti selling IBOCs. The first one is more probable, but would have been mentioned BITD. I may well be wrong or just have bad memory
I only really know it's claimed to be a rebranded Mongoose anything else is my speculation. I'm sure Yeti wouldn't openly say they used another brands frame either. More speculation
Old 10-24-19, 09:35 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
I only really know it's claimed to be a rebranded Mongoose anything else is my speculation. I'm sure Yeti wouldn't openly say they used another brands frame either. More speculation
I promise I'm not arguing. Are we sure this isn't from someone repainting this as a Yeti? I was a big fan back in the day of both companies, if this was from '89, they had been welding steel since '85 at that point and were welding 'FRO's as steel through '91-ish. It doesn't make since that they would do this. However, there were a bunch of riders they had that started at Mongoose, maybe they painted one because they hadn't prepped a frame something for a new rider? I don't know, that is certainly a curiosity frame. Yeti admitted to copying the loop-tail that Mongoose had on their BMX bikes, and then Mongoose then got influenced by Yeti to do the same style on their aluminum mountain bikes.

Also Easton wasn't involved until '92, why would there be an '89 frame that was used for 3 years later? A '92 Mongoose IBOC frame looks nothing like that either.

Last edited by mechanicmatt; 10-24-19 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-24-19, 04:51 PM
tsep

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by belacqua
Possibly a Rossin Marathon
Thanks for the reply, I wish it was a Rossin ! but the seat stays on mine attach on the side of the seat tube. There are a couple of other oddities such as it has a pump peg behind the head tube and the rear break bridge is shaped like a crown. It would of course be clearer with images, sorry.
Old 10-25-19, 03:52 AM
jbchybridrider 

I promise I'm not arguing. Are we sure this isn't from someone repainting this as a Yeti? I was a big fan back in the day of both companies, if this was from '89, they had been welding steel since '85 at that point and were welding 'FRO's as steel through '91-ish. It doesn't make since that they would do this. However, there were a bunch of riders they had that started at Mongoose, maybe they painted one because they hadn't prepped a frame something for a new rider? I don't know, that is certainly a curiosity frame. Yeti admitted to copying the loop-tail that Mongoose had on their BMX bikes, and then Mongoose then got influenced by Yeti to do the same style on their aluminum mountain bikes.

Also Easton wasn't involved until '92, why would there be an '89 frame that was used for 3 years later? A '92 Mongoose IBOC frame looks nothing like that either.

Yes looking at the frame disassembled today there enough differences to say it's not an iboc.
Old 10-25-19, 04:00 AM
jbchybridrider 

Looking closer at my iboc there's something under the seat stays i dont know about, a hex bolt that doesn't turn or just covered in paint then a threaded hole in the hex I like the two bottle mounts on the down tube.
It's probably average weight, 820g for the fork.

Old 10-25-19, 05:21 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Looking closer at my iboc there's something under the seat stays i dont know about, a hex bolt that doesn't turn or just covered in paint then a threaded hole in the hex I like the two bottle mounts on the down tube.
It's probably average weight, 820g for the fork.

I have similar bosses on my Cinder Cone for the water bottles. What's the size and threading?

Hex boss, accepts 7/32 wrench, tapped for m5 bolt
Old 10-25-19, 05:24 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
@jbchybridrider

I suggest you create a new thread to get an ID on your bike. You'll get more eyes that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.