Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Route Planning - I can't do it without "The Strava Matrix"

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Route Planning - I can't do it without "The Strava Matrix"

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-19, 04:18 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I have a had good luck with Garmin Connect. A search of different regions/areas shows roots people are ridden. Plus I'm able to download the routes to my Garmin for step-by-step directions.
Old 10-26-19, 05:08 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
if everybody planned via heatmaps, we'd never have new routes!
Old 10-26-19, 07:49 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
There's a person in my area that claims they put the bike computer in the car & then drives around on non bicycle routes to later upload it to skew the heatmap. When I hear about stuff like that, it deters me from using such apps.
Old 10-27-19, 08:34 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
There's a person in my area that claims they put the bike computer in the car & then drives around on non bicycle routes to later upload it to skew the heatmap. When I hear about stuff like that, it deters me from using such apps.
That person has serious daddy issues.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 10-27-19, 10:07 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
I get maps from the local chapter of the national auto club, and combine that with info gathered off of Google Maps/Streetview. I sit down with the maps in front of a computer, mark up the maps as necessary, and I'll have a route (with a few options) planned out a route for a few days of touring.
Old 10-28-19, 07:09 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
"I have this friend ... " said a troul

Many people drive their bike to a place to start/end a ride and forget to turn off (or later edit) their Strava ride. So there's a lot of faint heat map signatures on the highways. That's the joy of Strava heat maps, a forgetful person (or a troul) can't hold a candle against 42 million users.

Since I live in an area with long winters, we have riders that fatbike the lake ice - including me, it's the quickest way to my favorite tap room for a growler refill. Additionally, there are races and group rides on the lake ice, you have a hard time finding them on the heat map without zooming in, and never show as a popular route.

Here's a typical view of Lake Minnetonka -for scale: roughly 12 miles from side-to-side

Zoomed in on Grays Bay (red square in the first image - roughly 1 mile across). This is the max zoom on Strava heat map and these seasonal rides across the lake barely show up, only the channel and the popular entrance at Minnehaha Creek Headwaters park show some 'heat'

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 10-28-19 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-28-19, 09:13 AM
Metieval

So basically don't ride 12, 7, or 494, 394, etc... LOL
Likes For Metieval:
Old 10-28-19, 09:30 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

^^^ this ... it's not too complicated, right?!?
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-28-19, 09:58 AM
Metieval

As far as Minnetonka riding goes. You might be better to map a route based on time of day vs what roads? This coming from my limited knowledge of the place which was back in 2004.

the ice biking is interesting, I was looking at Key Biscayne FL , apparently boaters, kayakers, SUB, etc.... seem to use Strava and A lot!!!
Likes For Metieval:
Old 10-28-19, 09:59 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Many people drive their bike to a place to start/end a ride and forget to turn off (or later edit) their Strava ride. So there's a lot of faint heat map signatures on the highways. That's the joy of Strava heat maps, a forgetful person (or a troul) can't hold a candle against 42 million users.
Lots of people forget to turn Strava off after the major charity rides (PMC, BikeMS, H2B, etc...) You can see them returing on ferries from Provincetown to Boston. But also many of the other ferries pop up too along Long Island Sound.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 10-28-19, 06:30 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
When I opted to pay for Strava Summit, that was the one package I didn't take. I've got other ways of doing the Beacon feature and while the heatmaps seem cool, they didn't seem worth the price to see where I've ridden. The "use popular routes" option on maps always sends me down roads I'd rather not ride.

For my route planning time, I simply check if the road is paved or dirt. It's easy here since there is more dirt than pavement. The cars tend to take the shortest route to the main paved roads and spend as little time on dirt as possible, leaving miles of great roads for biking. If the satellite view is brown, it's a go. All I need.
Old 10-28-19, 06:55 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
"I have this friend ... " said a troul
No where did i say it was a friend. I would not tolerate a friend as such.

Picking a route from google maps seems just as effective imo when comparing areas to ride in.
Old 10-28-19, 07:08 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Strava tries to send me onto roads, so I don't use it. With Google maps I can select walking, though to be fair I'm still sent along a road sometimes!
Old 10-28-19, 08:08 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

No where did i say it was a friend. I would not tolerate a friend as such.

Picking a route from google maps seems just as effective imo when comparing areas to ride in.
I was just messing with you .... Just thought is was a funny play on you forum handle.

It appears some tools are stronger in some regions than others. Google is part my planning, but not my starting point ... Most of the time.

Now that I type this on my phone, I'm reminded that if I'm looking for a route on my phone, I never use Strava and always work with Google maps. So there's another wrinkle in my theory

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 10-29-19 at 07:26 AM. Reason: typo
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-28-19, 09:21 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Strava tries to send me onto roads, so I don't use it. With Google maps I can select walking, though to be fair I'm still sent along a road sometimes!
Could be worse... it could direct ya in to a large body of water.
Old 10-29-19, 09:06 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by jeffreythree
I always thought it strange that you could zoom in further without the heat map on than with it on. I find myself turning it on and off constantly when creating a new route so that I can zoom in to see the road surface now that I am riding longer routes into new areas that have a lot of gravel roads.
I never knew that turning off the heat map allowed additional zooming, thanks!!

Unrelated - to the people posting that you should just get on the bike and see where it takes you, this is great and preferred ... but my work and personal life keep me on a tight schedule. Therefore, having a route and knowing how long the ride should take is a big help keeping me from missing meetings and appointments. This is not to say that I put the route on my Garmin for turn-by-turn directions, just that I know which route will fit my available time.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-29-19, 10:01 AM
Troul 

When time is dictating things & there's no planned route, I'll ride to a set amount of time that'll allow for a prompt return. Basically an on the spot halfway point. So far it's been working out for me.
Old 10-29-19, 10:18 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

That does work well for the out-and-back routes ... I have an irrational dislike for out-and-back routes. Even when driving the car, I look for a different way back. I guess I also have an irrational like for planning routes [/shrug]

You do you!
Old 10-29-19, 04:59 PM
Metieval

So I was riding today and thinking about heat maps. Strava has a couple driveways (not my driveway) glowing. I'd rather they not be there, but I don't always pause at the road/driveway.

Then I started thinking about Google/smart phones. Google is tracking people no matter what. If your phone is on your person then you are being tracked. It stands to reason that google would then be King at knowing routes.

just because
strava tracks those who chose to be part of strava.
Google tracks everybody regardless.
Old 10-29-19, 05:52 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
haven’t used the global strava heatmap to determine rides. have tho, used my personal “all-time” one to remind me of places i should investigate or revisit. not adverse to a certain amount of winging it. specific climbs are generally a little easier to get info on (i guess we’re all moving so slow, there’s plenty o’ time to analyze/memorize details) vs specifics riding in a certain area. i usually try to have a backup ride/area/street(s) in case something is trespassing, closed for whatever reason, too rough for my skinny tires, or if i wimp out.
Old 10-29-19, 07:03 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I never gave Google permissions for Location Services, so it never knows where I am. That's why when I open up my Chrome Browser in iOS, it thinks I'm in Pasadena CA, or Boise ID, or some other random place.

Just double checked: yep, still no Location Services enabled.
Old 10-29-19, 07:58 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
haven’t used the global strava heatmap to determine rides. have tho, used my personal “all-time” one to remind me of places i should investigate or revisit. not adverse to a certain amount of winging it. specific climbs are generally a little easier to get info on (i guess we’re all moving so slow, there’s plenty o’ time to analyze/memorize details) vs specifics riding in a certain area. i usually try to have a backup ride/area/street(s) in case something is trespassing, closed for whatever reason, too rough for my skinny tires, or if i wimp out.
if it's an area i've never reconned or looking for excruciating detail, have generally had decent results posting here in the appropriate regional discussions (depending on exactly how active said appropriate regional discussion forum is)
or road cycling or, generally (imho) most helpful, the touring forum.
Old 10-30-19, 01:17 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
So I was riding today and thinking about heat maps. Strava has a couple driveways (not my driveway) glowing. I'd rather they not be there, but I don't always pause at the road/driveway.

Then I started thinking about Google/smart phones. Google is tracking people no matter what. If your phone is on your person then you are being tracked. It stands to reason that google would then be King at knowing routes.

just because
strava tracks those who chose to be part of strava.
Google tracks everybody regardless.

You can set up an automatic privacy zone within Strava around your home if you're concerned about things like your driveway showing up. It defaults to 1/4 mile radius, but you can modify as needed if you have a really long driveway or something.

As for Google... they don't really know if a user is driving, cycling, walking/running, so while Google probably has a much larger number of user's data and GPS info, it may not be as useful for the specific purpose of finding good bike routes.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-30-19, 01:26 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by msu2001la
You can set up an automatic privacy zone within Strava around your home if you're concerned about things like your driveway showing up. It defaults to 1/4 mile radius, but you can modify as needed if you have a really long driveway or something.

As for Google... they don't really know if a user is driving, cycling, walking/running, so while Google probably has a much larger number of user's data and GPS info, it may not be as useful for the specific purpose of finding good bike routes.
Re-read my post again. on the Driveways. I'd have to set up Multiple Privacy zones!

cars have a general average mph, so do cyclist, as do walkers.

just saying if you have a walking "pace" it stands to reason you are probably not driving. Over time Google number crunching can figure this out.
Old 10-30-19, 02:00 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Re-read my post again. on the Driveways. I'd have to set up Multiple Privacy zones!

cars have a general average mph, so do cyclist, as do walkers.

just saying if you have a walking "pace" it stands to reason you are probably not driving. Over time Google number crunching can figure this out.

If you want to use Strava but are worried about your driveway showing up on the Global heatmap, and you don't want to set up a privacy zone (or zones), you also have the option to opt out of your data being included in Strava's global heatmap entirely. This option can be found within the privacy settings.

As for Google's tracking, it should be noted that apps that use location services aren't typically accessing your phone's GPS. GPS drains the battery quickly, so most apps (like weather apps, or browsers like Chrome, etc) get location information from cell towers or WiFi. This info is good enough to know what Zip Code you're in, but it's not providing info on speed or direction. Google is only getting GPS tracks from people running GPS apps (like Google Maps).

With that in mind, I don't think data from Google Maps would be very useful for generating a global heat map of bike routes. The number of people on bikes using Google Maps (or some other GPS app that Google has access to) seems like it would be much lower than the number of people on bikes using tracking devices that provide data to Strava (or running the Strava app itself). I'm guessing the most popular place to run Google Maps is in a car.
Likes For msu2001la:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.