Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Latest Update and WYSIWYG, and other features.

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 11-26-19, 02:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts

It appears as if a new update with WYSIWYG just came out (also noted some formatting changes with searches).

I'm seeing "Auto Save" pop up. So far I haven't needed that feature. Perhaps some practice will be needed, but hopefully it will reduce the pages that get lost.

A couple of things that I have found annoying:
  • Clicking on "Source", all the hot buttons are now greyed out, and hot keys Ctrl-I & Ctrl-B no longer work. Somewhat annoying if one uses both data entry methods.
  • Indent has changed formatting. It was annoying that the system simply erased it when I tried using [indent]...[/indent].
    The new spacing around indented text seems to be reasonable, and the variable indent seems like it could come in handy.
    White background for indented text is different. I had come to like the grey indented text, but it also changed the functionality from what would otherwise have been expected.
    I found an Old message that I had used indent in, and the formatting seems unchanged (not broken).
  • Do lists show up as indented when viewed in the editor, but NOT INDENTED when posted?
  • The Emoji insertion had been funky earlier (wrong size, etc). But, it seems to be working better.
  • Where is :trainwreck:?
  • [h1]Abc[/h1][h2]Def[/h2][h3]Ghi[/h3] seems to be improved now. Was it all the same size earlier?

Abc

Def

Ghi

• What about Courier? [font=courier]This is a test of Courier[/font] This is a test of Courier. It isn't a menu option, but it does seem to be working.
  • Copying and pasting user names: [url=https://www.bikeforums.net/members/ibryan-494068.html]IBRyan[/url] IBRyan. This does a couple of odd things. First of all, it links to the user's profile, but based on previous testing, I don't think it actually created a "mention". That will have to be verified yes or no. It also leaves the cursor inside of the URL to create garbage in the link text.
    Hmmm... I never used the "Mention" button, but I don't see it anymore. Did it disappear? @IBRyan
  • Oh, what about basic numbers? #1 , #2 , #3 ? And, PR (as in bad PR (public relations))? GRRR
Ok, so testing tables (NOPE)

[table][TR][TD]abc[/TD][TD]def[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]ABC[/TD][TD]DEF[/TD][/TR]
[/table]

testing superscripts and subscripts (NOPE)

CO[SUB]2[/SUB]

X[SUP]2[/SUP]

testing LaTeX (NOPE)

[tex]H_2O[/tex]

I'll try to explore a bit more later.
Old 11-26-19, 05:32 PM
IBanna
RETIRED, DO NOT PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
If I want to begin a post with a copied link, I can now no longer right-click to paste using a mouse. The "menu" that appears doesn't even show the option.
If I type any character and then right click to paste, it works fine.
If I use a keyboard and use "ctrl v", the link will paste.
This is on a desktop, Chrome browser. Yes, I logged out and logged back in again in a new window.
And the grey box at the top of the page is STILL there after all this time, on desktop (Chrome and Firefox) and iPhone 7/ Safari.
EXAMPLES:
Trying to begin a post with a copied link, no option available when right clicking
After typing a character (x in this case), then right clicking, the option to paste is available.
I encountered a similar problem but if you right click on the mouse near the blinking line the regular menu option to paste should pop up.

Old 11-26-19, 05:47 PM
IBanna
RETIRED, DO NOT PM

CliffordK Are these bugs that are mentioned in the list or new features? I apologize, I'm not clear on what the old features where.
Old 11-27-19, 12:33 AM
CliffordK

@IBanna, I was commenting a bit on what I found. But... yes, at least several annoyances. And, hopefully solicit some comments and testing from other users. You can decide whether they are bugs or annoyances.
  1. When I click "Source", all the formatting stuff is greyed out. Obviously toggling between formats will bring them back and hide them. Of course, I type a lot of it in by hand anyway. Still, it forces too much toggling.
  2. It surprised me when [indent]...[/indent] changed. The new version works, just different syntax to learn. It was odd the way it completely deleted the old format tags.
  3. In the editor (WYSIWYG), lists show up indented. But, once posted, they are moved to the left margin. I suppose with the new indent, that is easier to adjust, but I would typically like about a 1/4" indent for my bullets. I think the lists were indented a few years ago, then moved left about 2 years ago.
  4. I like the new Emoji insertion window. , except that :trainwreck: was left out. I don't know if it was always hidden???
  5. Just commenting that the header/title H1/H2/H3 is improved.
  6. Just verifying that courier is working. Not in the menu. But, that was used in place of tables, at least in the mileage tracking thread. So, also not a problem, but just testing/verifying. I think there was a period about a year ago that it vanished, then came back.
  7. Copying and pasting user names works about like it did about 2 years ago. At that time, I don't believe that it created a "mention" when simply copying and pasting a username (which I thought t should do). Anyway, one gets the link to the profile. If I wish to copy and paste your name as a mention, it is best to put in the @ symbol, then click on "Source" to get back to showing the formatting, then paste the name. Then go back to WYSIWYG. Anyway, this needs further verification on whether one can get a "mention" by pasting the name with the link to the profile. There was a hot button for "Mention". I never used it, but I think it looked like a loudspeaker. It is gone now.
  8. I realize hashtags are getting tied back to Social Media. But, with numbers, I like to use the "#" as an abbreviation for the word "number". This making numbers into links (#1, #2 ) has been happening for quite some time. Same for marking "PR" as a link.
  9. I think tables worked a few years ago, but haven't worked for quite some time. As far as I know, superscripts, subscipts, or other advanced formatting like LaTeX has never worked on this site. I was just testing. I do find tables to be handy at times, but it can be complicated to make them turn out nice.
Old 11-27-19, 07:09 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I've already posted and PMed about a problem I've encountered reporting posts (spam).
Old 11-27-19, 07:11 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

CliffordK It looks like there was a switching accident at Conjunction Junction, there is your trainwreck
Old 11-27-19, 12:26 PM
IBanna
RETIRED, DO NOT PM

The @ mention function works! I got a notification when you mentioned me.
In regards to the source causing a grey-out , and the hashtags, I've informed tech about it!
Old 11-27-19, 02:28 PM
IBanna
RETIRED, DO NOT PM

Just checked in with IBobi, the hashtags and the grey-out is all by design. When a user uses # it will automatically work as a hashtag, but there shouldn't any problems with #1 , #2 , etc. since people don't really use numbers as hashtags.
For trainwreck, how were you able to add the trainwreck emoji in the first post?
Old 11-28-19, 07:34 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Linking pictures is messed up again like it was a while ago. Get that funky pop up that doesn't like the URL's from my photo hosting site. I have to edit the URL before I can even attempt to use them. Had the same problem here awhile ago and now we're back to the same mess.
Old 12-01-19, 11:43 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by IBanna
Just checked in with IBobi, the hashtags and the grey-out is all by design. When a user uses # it will automatically work as a hashtag, but there shouldn't any problems with #1 , #2 , etc. since people don't really use numbers as hashtags.
For trainwreck, how were you able to add the trainwreck emoji in the first post?
Probably copied and pasted from another version of vBulletin.
Old 12-02-19, 03:24 PM
IBobi
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Bikes: 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Linking pictures is messed up again like it was a while ago. Get that funky pop up that doesn't like the URL's from my photo hosting site. I have to edit the URL before I can even attempt to use them. Had the same problem here awhile ago and now we're back to the same mess.
IBJoel
Old 12-02-19, 03:27 PM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Hi guys, I'll be taking over for Anna. Most normal text editing is available with the click of a button in the Full CKEditor (just highlight text and click whatever formatting you want). Font size and style can be changed by clicking on "Source" in the editor ribbon and typing the BB Code in manually (or copy/pasting).
Old 12-02-19, 03:28 PM
IBJoel
Administrator

What's your hosting site?
Old 12-02-19, 03:56 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by IBJoel
What's your hosting site?
Pbase.com

When posting from the site I always copy the URL and then have to add a .jpg afterwords for it to work. This is common across a multitude of forums. With the change here as soon as I paste the copied URL it excutes it without allowing me to add the .jpg.

Last edited by jamesdak; 12-02-19 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-02-19, 04:03 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by IBanna
The @ mention function works! I got a notification when you mentioned me.
In regards to the source causing a grey-out , and the hashtags, I've informed tech about it!
Originally Posted by IBobi
Originally Posted by Rollfast

Are we sure the "Mention" is working?

I see it coming across in two different methods.

@+ Username ==> [MENTION=<number>]Username[/MENTION]

??? ==> [utag=<number>]Username[/utag]

I assume that "utag" comes from direct copying of the user name while in WYSIWYG mode, and does not create a "mention".
[url=https://www.bikeforums.net/members/<profile link>.html]<username>[/url]

Rollfast
IBanna
IBobi
CliffordK

I don't believe one gets anything different if one adds an @ symbol in front (while still copying and pasting in WYSIWYG mode.

@Rollfast
@IBanna
@IBobi
@CliffordK

EDIT NOPE:
Didn't get the "UTAG". Where the heck is that coming from?

Last edited by CliffordK; 12-02-19 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-02-19, 04:16 PM
IBJoel
Administrator

Pbase.com

When posting from the site I always copy the URL and then have to add a .jpg afterwords for it to work. This is common across a multitude of forums. With the change here as soon as I paste the copied URL it excutes it without allowing me to add the .jpg.
OK, so 2 solutions I found: The easiest is usually going to be to use "Open image in new tab" and copy/paste that URL into the file uploader. I noticed that some images on that site have a "Right Click is disabled for this image" notice pop up. In that case, you should be able to click on "Source" in the text editor (the right-most button) and do what you normally do, just adding IMG tags ([img ]...[ /img])
Old 12-02-19, 04:36 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I have no clue that you mentioned me. Not yet.
I don't even know how to see that stat yet.
Old 12-03-19, 09:23 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rollfast
I have no clue that you mentioned me. Not yet.
I don't even know how to see that stat yet.
If you click on the bell in the upper right corner (assuming you are on desktop), you should see it. Unless you disabled notifications for mentions.
Old 12-03-19, 07:11 PM
CliffordK

Ahhh, I think I figured out how different "Mentions" are coming in.

[utag...
Type @ followed by user's name. Look for a popup, and click on the name. Rollfast This DOES NOT create a mention.
[url=
Copy and paste user name in WYSIWYG mode: Rollfast. This DOES NOT create a mention.
@[url=
Type in the "@" followed by copying and pasting in WYSIWYG Mode @Rollfast This DOES NOT create a mention.
[Mention]...[/mention]
Type by hand the user name between the Mention brackets: @Rollfast I think this still works, but the format of mentions has changed, so this needs to be tested. Nonetheless, it correctly modifies it to add the user number, and I presume also creates the proper mention.
@<username>
Type "@" followed by the username. Do not click on the popups. Do not simply copy the username in WYSIWYG mode getting the [URL stuff. @Rollfast This will reliably create a Mention.
I've been mentioned a couple of times in the last day or two using the first [utag= method above, and it DID NOT create the mention. My name shows up, it looks good, but I don't get the message in my e-mail (nor is it listed when I look at my mentions).
Old 12-04-19, 01:43 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I guess I have to look for my mentions..I wasn't even this popular in high school
Old 12-04-19, 01:45 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by IBJoel
If you click on the bell in the upper right corner (assuming you are on desktop), you should see it. Unless you disabled notifications for mentions.
i have most emails turned off except for PMs and weekly subscribed thread updates.
Old 12-04-19, 01:48 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Mostly my fan club (ahsposo) and a couple from you, one yesterday and the last example wit @ did work.
Old 12-05-19, 12:22 PM
CliffordK

Quick buttons for editing.

It would be nice to have a button for every BB code. Unfortunately we seem to have lost a few buttons.

No buttons for:
  • [H1]...[/H1], [H2]...[/H2], [H3]...[/H3], etc.
  • [size=<number>]...[/size]. This is actually problematic when editing in WYSIWYG mode, as the text just vanishes, but it still seems to be supported when posted BIG (and in the preview).
  • [font]
  • BBCodes for: background color [background], highlight [highlight], superscript [sup], and subscript [sub] don't seem to be supported. Likewise, tables aren't supported [table][td][tr], etc. Were some of those supported earlier?
  • Trainwreck...
Old 12-13-19, 11:30 AM
CliffordK

I thought I might check if I could finally mention Andrew R Stewart

@Andrew R Stewart
@Andrew R Stewart
@Andrew R Stewart;

Edit:
Odd...
Ok, the "UTAG" still isn't creating a mention, but otherwise it seems to work properly.

Putting the Mention with the user number:
[MENTION=291007]Andrew R Stewart[/MENTION]
Seems to partially work. It posts like a mention. But, somewhere it is still breaking down and the mention doesn't seem to be showing up with the user, or get attributed to the user's account. E-Mail?

Last edited by CliffordK; 12-13-19 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-05-20, 04:55 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Is there a way that I can make the old, plain-text editor the default for my profile? The WYSIWYG editor takes a long time to load on my old, slow machine, and if there are any pictures in a comment I'm replying to, they take up so much screen real-estate I have to scroll around to find where to enter my text.

Yeah, I know I can click on the [SOURCE] button to get the plain text version once the WYSIWYG version finally finishes loading, but if there's a way for my profile to default to plain text, I'd really prefer that.

Thanks…

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.