Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Salsa Vaya rack-ommendations?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17, 10:54 AM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

sorry for the pun

I'm picking up a vaya fairly soon and plan to use it for commuting/ bikepacking/ weekend tours. Problem is, I always use a pannier, and I'm concerned about heel strike as my heel comes back almost to the axle. (It passes the brake caliper)

Has anyone gotten past this? Or would a frame bag be a better idea for this bike?
Old 09-20-17, 12:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10959 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
That bike has Salsa's alternator dropouts, right? Im just guessing, but figure so since i assume its a new bike. If it has the alternator dropouts, i am pretty sure you are extremely limited in your potential rack selection. Like very limited.

Go to Salsa and look at the Alternator racks. pick whichever works.

rant time- Salsa decided to get cute and creative and innovative. Then Salsa had to create a specific product to work with the cute, creative, and innovative product since other options dont work. Time tested and basic is almost always best.
Old 09-20-17, 02:36 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That bike has Salsa's alternator dropouts, right? Im just guessing, but figure so since i assume its a new bike. If it has the alternator dropouts, i am pretty sure you are extremely limited in your potential rack selection. Like very limited.

Go to Salsa and look at the Alternator racks. pick whichever works.

rant time- Salsa decided to get cute and creative and innovative. Then Salsa had to create a specific product to work with the cute, creative, and innovative product since other options dont work. Time tested and basic is almost always best.
Vaya does not have the alternator dropouts
Old 09-20-17, 03:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by dannwilliams
Vaya does not have the alternator dropouts
Interesting. Do you know when they got rid of that set up?
Old 09-20-17, 03:28 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Interesting. Do you know when they got rid of that set up?
It's still on most of their bikes, not the Vaya for some reason. This year or next year models. So any rear rack "should" work on the Vaya. My LBS guy told me so. And he wouldn't lie about that.
Old 09-20-17, 03:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by dannwilliams
It's still on most of their bikes, not the Vaya for some reason. This year or next year models. So any rear rack "should" work on the Vaya. My LBS guy told me so. And he wouldn't lie about that.
I'm not doubting your lbs guy. I was simply surprised it is not on the current model because it was on earlier models of that bike.

Good on salsa for dropping it.
Old 09-20-17, 04:37 PM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I believe only the Travel and Ti's had alternator dropouts... My 2013 Vaya 2 does not have alternator dropouts.. As far as a rack any standard rear rack should work just fine. I bought mine used with a Tubus Cargo Evo that I replaced with a racktime Add-it rear rack as I like the double rails and am not sold enough on tubus to spend ~$150 on a rear rack when I can get a similar racktime rack for less then $40.
Old 09-20-17, 07:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Cool, thanks for the explanation. The bike i was going off of is a travel as it has the couplers to break down the frame.
Old 09-21-17, 02:35 PM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cool, thanks for the explanation. The bike i was going off of is a travel as it has the couplers to break down the frame.
No problem, however, my information is bad as well. A quickie search shows that only the Travel has alternator dropouts. Sorry for the bad information all!

BTW OP you'll enjoy the Vaya I've been using mine as an all rounder for 3 seasons now and like it a lot. As a side note, I think the Vaya rides better with a front bias when carrying gear. I'm a light packer and always try to pack front to back and if my gear will all fit on the front only use the rear rack to hold my tent.

Edit, oh and I've never had an issue with heel strike and panniers. One issue that I do have is toe overlap with the fender. I still have occasional almost fall overs in traffic when my toe gets tangled in the fender.

Last edited by edthesped; 09-21-17 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-21-17, 04:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
I love your pun!!!!!!

For a good rack for just about anything Tubus, Tubus and Tubus. The Cargo Evo is what I use but there is a part of me that wishes I had gone Logo.

Why Tubus? They are light, strong and really well built for touring. They do cost money like many things in this world but I am willing to pay for quality and for a rack I don't have to worry about ever even with a big ol' heavy load but that is also not a big heavy load itself.
Old 09-22-17, 10:48 AM
msquared22

Bikes: Salsa Vaya X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Salsa Wanderlust rack on my Vaya. Works great, no problems with heel clearance.
Old 09-22-17, 07:53 PM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I love your pun!!!!!!

For a good rack for just about anything Tubus, Tubus and Tubus. The Cargo Evo is what I use but there is a part of me that wishes I had gone Logo.

Why Tubus? They are light, strong and really well built for touring. They do cost money like many things in this world but I am willing to pay for quality and for a rack I don't have to worry about ever even with a big ol' heavy load but that is also not a big heavy load itself.
I like steel bikes, though I've actually never owned anything else so I don't know any better. However, I am not sold on the whole steel weldability thing and I have spent 20 years and counting in steel fabrication. I'm sure there are cases where things fail and need welded but since I've only ever ridden in first world situations am pretty sure I could easily and quickly come up with a replacement. I have to say I'm not too happy with the QC on the Tubus rack that came on my CL bike and had I purchased it new I would have demanded a replacement, see attached pictures. My dual rail Al Racktime rack is slightly lighter than the steel Tubus rack. Though I'm not happy with the manufacturing defect on the Tubus I'm pretty sure Tubus and Racktime racks are made in the same plant in Vietnam, at least this 3 y/o article indicates they are, Rack factory Bor Yueh badly damaged in Vietnam riots | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News..

Again to each his own though and if you see me on the side of the road sadly looking at my broken Al rack you're welcome to ride by smirk and give me an I told you so... Sorry OP I digress..

Last edited by edthesped; 11-04-17 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-25-17, 08:18 PM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW I use a Top Peak rack I originally purchased for a Giant Escape along with their MTX case which has "ears" that function as panniers. Fits great, even though it's the non disc-brake version of the rack.
Old 09-27-17, 06:13 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by edthesped
... and if you see me on the side of the road sadly looking at my broken Al rack you're welcome to ride by smirk and give me an I told you so... Sorry OP I digress..
I bought myself some Tubus racks a while back for a long trip and while they are great racks, I have successfully used average priced aluminum racks with no issues, both front and back, for decades for the odd tour and tons of miles commuting with panniers on over rough roads.

My take on it is that unless you are carrying a very heavy load and are being rough over bad roads or whatever, a well made alu rack (especially a good beefy one) will work perfectly fine. I have a racktime rear rack that came with a used bike and have put on my wifes bike, and it seems just as sturdy , or more, than the reasonably priced ones I have used for years and years.

again, I see the factor being where you are riding, how much weight is involved, what size tires and pressures (suspension effect) and if you use common sense in not bashing over rough stuff at speeds that will bang the crap out of everything.