Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need a little axle/bearing help

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-14-13, 05:02 PM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Got this wheel for a bike that needs a bit longer axle. I had one that's just right in the parts bin, so I proceeded to break apart what I thought were cone lock nuts and came across the sealed bearing assembly pictured. My question is can I replace the axle? It won't twist or slip out. I guess I need to pry out the press fit assembly? I hate to ruin anything,so I'm hesitant to try. On he bearing seal: sp6000rs. Suggestions? Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
A1.jpg (94.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg
A1B.jpg (93.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-14-13, 05:11 PM
JTGraphics

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should be able to tap the axle from the end you are showing the axle and bearing will come out together remove bearing from axle, the bearing on the other side will be in the hub you can remove it if needed from the other side and push it out. Search for an easy video to follow its a quite simple process to remove sealed bearing from hubs. Is this a from hub or rear? if its the rear you also need to remove the other side first.

Last edited by JTGraphics; 03-14-13 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-14-13, 06:11 PM
okane

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Front wheel. Will also search for vids. For now, so I can use a rubber/plastic tipped hammer and (1) tap out the axle. Both axle and bearing assembly will come out the opposite side. (2) Slide off bearing assembly from old axle and slide on to new axle. (3) Put axle/bearing assembly back into hub. (4) Tap axle from either side to center it up. I'm assuming I can push back the removed bearing assembly back into the hub. Have I got it? Thanks
Old 03-15-13, 07:22 AM
okane

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Looks like I'm dead in the water. The tutorials show that sealed bearing axles have shoulders on them and the axle I was going to use doesn't. Not like the old days when modifications were easy and cheap.
Old 03-15-13, 11:37 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by okane
Looks like I'm dead in the water. The tutorials show that sealed bearing axles have shoulders on them and the axle I was going to use doesn't.
Maybe not. Find a piece of pipe/tubing that'll fit faírly well over your new axle, not too much slop. Pipe/tube has to be decently strong, copper water pipe probably won't do. Cut to exactly the same length as measured over the shoulders of the old axle. Mount one bearing to the hub. Insert one end of axle. Slip tube over axle. Mount other bearing. Done!
Old 03-15-13, 01:18 PM
okane

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks.....I'll give some thought to that
Old 03-15-13, 01:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Yes a spacer tube touching just the inner ring, , the inside race, of the cartridge bearing will do,
though If the pair of lock nuts on the outside of both sides, are adjusted well
the axle wont move sideways through the bearings..
Old 03-16-13, 03:06 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
A longer axle still would need the smooth section to mate properly with the ID of both bearings.

Whatever you need a longer axle for, could longer axle nuts possibly substitute for that? I can't imagine the reason though.

These kind of hubs have been around for almost as long as I can remember. They took off in popularity in 1978 when Sansin's cartridge-bearing hubs started getting spec'd, but were also preceeded in the early 1970's by the popular Viscount bike's cartridge-bearing hubs.
Old 03-16-13, 05:04 AM
okane

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Whatever you need a longer axle for, could longer axle nuts possibly substitute for that? I can't imagine the reason though. Attachment point for metal cargo basket I use occasionally. Double nutting the axle allows removal & installation of the basket quickly without disturbing wheel alignment.
Old 03-16-13, 04:18 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
Originally Posted by okane
Whatever you need a longer axle for, could longer axle nuts possibly substitute for that? I can't imagine the reason though. Attachment point for metal cargo basket I use occasionally. Double nutting the axle allows removal & installation of the basket quickly without disturbing wheel alignment.

If you could find or make a long enough hex hut to extend beyond the end of the existing axle, a stub axle with a nut LocTited to it's end could then be threaded into the long nut, securing the basket stays without disturbing the axle's attachment to the fork.

Drilling and tapping a length of hex stock might be complicated by the fine, metric threading needed for the axle, or not.